Thread: new squirrel shooter

It finally got here Friday.

Say your prayers squirrels!

.17 caliber???
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

DuCabin is offline The KING of no original thoughts!

Sweet! Look more like a work of art than a gun...you going take that work of art in the WOODS! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    \"If you\'re not living life to the fullest just go ahead and die or get with living it to the fullest, now!!!!!\" <br />\"The only thing necessary for the triump of evil is for good men to do NOTHING.\" Edmund Burke

Yep, it's 17 hmr. I've only had a chance to shoot about 40 rounds through it and I haven't tested different ammo yet but it's a real tack driver. The best thing about the 17 is that I sighted it in at 50 yards and it's still almost dead on at 100. For squirrel hunting, I think instead of "head shots only", we may have to change the gold standard to "eye shots only".

Now all I need is a good squirrel dog.

Tommy

That is a nice looking rifle! Congrats!

Nice!!!

is that a fajen stock ? I have a similar stock on my ruger 1022 . I also heard that you can convert a 1022 to shoot .17 .

It's not a fajen and it's not a Boyd. I forget who actually makes it but I bought it from Numrich.

The 17HMR is a necked down 22 magnum. You can covert a 10/22 magnum to 17HMR (Hornady Rimfire Magnum) with a simple barrel swap. There is also a new cartridge called the 17M2 or 17mach2 that is a necked down 22 stinger case. Dimensionally, it will function in a regular 10/22 with a barrel swap but there have been some problems with the recoil springs and perhaps bolt weight so Ruger hasn't shipped any 10/17's yet.