Thread: Unertl Scopes?

SCTIMBER Coots

Anyone have any experience with them?

Would a Bushnell, Zeiss, or Leupold be just as decent a scope for a cheaper price?

Unertl

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

S&B or Nightforce NXS if you are looking for a tactical scope. For an inexpensive but very good scope to wet your feet with, A Super Sniper from SWFA is almost impossible to beat for the money.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

SCTIMBER Coots

Not really looking for a tactical scope but something more long range than the Nikon 3x9x40 that I currently have.

I happened to see something in the field behind the house the other evening. Didn't have the binos with my but had the rifle. At 250 yards all I got was blurry. Might be a cheap scope. Heck I don't know.

Most of my shots would be 300 yds or less.

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Could well be the focus. When a scope is a little out of focus, you might not see it in daylight but at dusk, it becomes more apparent.

What will be your primary use? If deer hunting, I normally suggest high quality glass with a 50-56mm, objective and about 3-10 to 3-12 power, #4 reticle or heavy duplex and without AO. Target shooting normally involves higher power, somewhat finer reticle and the AO is absolutely necessary. A large objective is not as important and can actually be a detriment. For a combination scope, I would place more emphasis on the hunting part of the equation, as low light performance is so critical to deer hunting.

BTW, glass quality and coatings are much more important than the objective size. For example a 40mm Elite 4200 3-10 is significantly better in lowlight than a 50mm Leupold Rifleman or VX-2.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.