Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Copperhead

I've always figured they are more prevelant from Chapin/Prosperity area and on up.
    *2008 & 2009 Bream World Champion*

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    "The Gamecocks are hammered dog shit"

Good on you for not killing it! I've seen a few in Irmo and Newberry co.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by SOUTHERN WOODS View Post
    Idiot
    Sorry, not all of us get the privilege to spend 8+ hrs in the woods everyday.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

There are plenty of 'em around. They just blend in well. A Columbia parking meter worker got bit last year at Washington and Sumter Streets. Right down town.

I think they are one of the prettiest venomous snakes, or snakes in general, in SC.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Quote Originally Posted by cusportsman View Post
    Sorry, not all of us get the privilege to spend 8+ hrs in the woods everyday.
    I don't spend 8+ hours in the woods everyday but it doesn't keep me from killing a damn copperhead if I see one.

I could understand a non-poisonous snake or even one of Bogster's beloved rattlesnakes but a damn copperhead?

That is as bad as giving a pass to a cottonmouth.

I agree Swampy.

I was blood trailing a deer on my hands and knees one dark evening, holding a flashlight in my mouth. I was in scrub pines so the hands and knees thing was kinda neccesary.

Looked up and saw one about that size, staring at me, all eye level and shit.

I backed up and came back to the trail another direction.

I returned the favor he gave me.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

They aren't aggressive, generally. Step on one, that's different. Hell, I'd bite you if I was a snake and you stepped on me.

Then again, I have a relative that got bit by the same one TWICE in one day (hours apart) in Bluffton. Got bit getting some wood out of the wood pile for his fire. The snake escaped, so he went to the hospital, was treated, and went home. A friend came over and asked where he was when he got bit. Said relative goes back to the wood pile, leans over, points... "right there..". POP... again.

May not be the deepest part of my gene pool.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    not to intentionally change the subject, but do you have a problem with your heritage shooting to the left?

Mine is accurate as hell with lr's as well as mags. Picked it up from a friend for $40 a few years back, he bought it new but after a few thousand rounds of him trying to quick draw it the spring that locks the cylinder in place had broke. He had no clue how to fix it. $4 for the spring and $5 for shipping and she was ready to rock and roll.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    scducks c/o2010

Quote Originally Posted by duckjunkie85 View Post
    Mine is accurate as hell with lr's as well as mags. Picked it up from a friend for $40 a few years back, he bought it new but after a few thousand rounds of him trying to quick draw it the spring that locks the cylinder in place had broke. He had no clue how to fix it. $4 for the spring and $5 for shipping and she was ready to rock and roll.

For anyone who owns one, you can't help but practice quick draw and rapid fire by rocking the hammer with your free hand! It's one of my favorite guns!

I set a few beer cans out in the yard are try to mimic john Wayne and bob lunden!

Good on you for leaving him be.

There's no need, no sense, and no respect in killing something just because you see it.

Copperheads are really docile. I move them out of the road a good bit and many times they have to be forced to even slither off.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Simple Man View Post
    Yep. Copperhead. That's a good'n too.

This one was 47 1/2"..

That is trophy size B... Holly shit you still drinking bud heavy on the crossfit? Figured you would heave some diet neerbeers and how did you kill it? It has no bullet wound (noticeable) and head is still on and looks intact?
    Last edited by CAMO SNOB; 04-09-2015 at 10:33 PM.
    They say the only time a fishermen tells the truth is when he tells you another fisherman is a liar.

I believe he must have suffocated him

Quote Originally Posted by duckjunkie85 View Post

Mine shoots left. I read on the heritage website that I should bend the front sight to the left. But I really hate the thought of trying to bend that sight.
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Quote Originally Posted by charlie horse View Post
    Ive seen more copperheads around here in the last 10 years than I did in the 20 before that..
    same here

and davis, that yard of yours is a magnet for them. 3 big ass rattlers and a lost count of copperheads I killed in that yard. think I told ya that before you moved in. was an awesome kingsnake that would hang around the shop
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

they are thick on our place. I killed 3 within 30 yards of a stand while we were putting it up last year. I walked to that stand 4 times before the first cold snap, saw a copperhead every trip but one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

Quote Originally Posted by GBelly View Post
    same here

and davis, that yard of yours is a magnet for them. 3 big ass rattlers and a lost count of copperheads I killed in that yard. think I told ya that before you moved in. was an awesome kingsnake that would hang around the shop
    I remember you telling me that, been keeping an eye out for them in the yard. Been here almost 2 years and have yet to see one in the yard or close to the house. Any that are seen around the yard will get taken care of due to the dogs and the boy.

This one got a pass
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Rat View Post
    They aren't aggressive, generally. Step on one, that's different. Hell, I'd bite you if I was a snake and you stepped on me.

Then again, I have a relative that got bit by the same one TWICE in one day (hours apart) in Bluffton. Got bit getting some wood out of the wood pile for his fire. The snake escaped, so he went to the hospital, was treated, and went home. A friend came over and asked where he was when he got bit. Said relative goes back to the wood pile, leans over, points... "right there..". POP... again.

May not be the deepest part of my gene pool.
    I hate to laugh, but that's funny as hell SR! I have a cousin that got bit moving one out of the road down near Summerton.

Any where I see a snake is a place that myself, as well as my kids frequent. If I want to look at pretty snakes, I will go to the zoo. If they want a one way ticket to hell, crawl out round me and my younguns walking thru the woods. Damn copperhead almost killed my dad along time ago, I don't have much interest or respect in their "natural beauty".

Trklr, that one looks like a timber rattler, but what happened to its rattlers?