Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cull buck???

Default Cull buck???

I know we have some PHD biologists on here. What's your take? I took out this 150pound 6 point as a cull. Good call or would he have blossomed later in life?
    Attached Images Attached Images

1.5 DEF not a cull,,, but guess what ,,,,, it doesnt matter now

867-5309

Guess we will never know??? If you felt inclined to shoot it then good shot! If you only shot it as a "cull" then I would say you should have let him walk. I'm no biologist but if it were a management property I would not have shot him.

I have no educational background on whitetail biology but this is my opinion of aging bucks. 6 months old=40 to 60lbs, 1.5 yr olds=90 to 120lbs, 2.5 yr olds, 130 to 150 lbs, 3.5 and older 160 plus. Now I know they can weight less than normal after rutting hard, but this deer was not run down at all.

Dat thing still got milk on it's snout. Ida shot his ass

I mounted him because I killed him on family property and he is identical to a deer I killed out if the same stand 3 years earlier. I previous one had a little bigger rack and was 160lbs. They have to be related. Yeah, I know he isn't that big, but I'm much prouder of the deer I take one place than any deer I could go pay to kill.

Probably ate too many crawfish, that is why he weighs more than 120

Ain't no way in hell a 1.5yr old can weight no 150lbs! Had to be a 2.5yr!

Quote Originally Posted by Cottontop74 View Post
    Ain't no way in hell a 1.5yr old can weight no 150lbs! Had to be a 2.5yr!
    Stop talking.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Awww shit here we go...get ya popcorn ready and buckle up.

Quote Originally Posted by turbo View Post
    Stop talking.
    No, I'm not talking about Canadian whitetail. I'm talking about upstate whitetail that aren't within 15 miles of an ag field. That's a hell of a lot of greenbrier, acorns, and honeysuckle a deer would have to eat to put on that kind of weight!

No, I'm not talking about Canadian whitetail. I'm talking about upstate whitetail that aren't within 15 miles of an ag field. That's a hell of a lot of greenbrier, acorns, and honeysuckle a deer would have to eat to put on that kind of weight!
    do you have ANY idea how much protein is packed into an acorn????,, I will be willing to bet that there are thousands of 140-150lb 1/5 yr old deer running around. In SC. just b/c a deer doesnt live 50 yds from a soybean, or corn field doesnt mean that he can't get the nutrition he needs to be healty,, also he could have been born in april or may.

I really would like to know the exact age of the deer I kill, but every time I have asked multiple people who claim to know how to age a deer, I get different answers. If you ask 5 people to look at a jaw bone, you won't have more than 3 responses that are the same.

You do know there is no nutritional value in corn right...it's a straight carb. Acorns and nematodes are where it's at ...pure protein.

Quote Originally Posted by reezen44 View Post
    You do know there is no nutritional value in corn right...it's a straight carb. Acorns and nematodes are where it's at ...pure protein.
    I truly don't know the nutritional value of an acorn, but I do know that deer love them and if they are dropping that's where I'll be! 100 pounds just seems like a lot of weight to pack on in a year for a deer.

2.5. I wouldn't have shot him and I def wouldn't have mounted him but then again I'm not a pussy like you.

I truly don't know the nutritional value of an acorn, but I do know that deer love them and if they are dropping that's where I'll be! 100 pounds just seems like a lot of weight to pack on in a year for a deer.
    You're no fun man

Quote Originally Posted by reezen44 View Post
    You're no fun man
    I'm going to tread lightly on this topic because this could get out of control in a hurry! I'm always open to stand corrected with facts.

I'd suggest culling the bucks that are small bodied with little nub antlers on their heads.
    Sometimes have white spots on them cuz they are so sickly.

Ain't never gunna be nuttin.