Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mr. Whiskers

I'll catch channel cats while fishing for rockfish in the spring on the Potomac on a 8 or 9 weight with Cortland 350 gr quick descent line use a half and half. With a sinking line, I use a 4 foot bullwhip furled leader from Feathercraft and 3 feet of 20 lb flourocarbon.

Edit - Just checked the sticker on the spool it's a 325 gr line.
    Last edited by boondoggle; 03-24-2015 at 08:16 PM.
    "The real reason fish jump - they don't have a middle finger!"

Interesting stuff, Boondoggle. I've understood that if you were after a large fish, that is setting out with the possibility being a 70# channel cat let's say, the line would have to be a 12 weight or so with a specialty sink tip. Most fly lines up to a 10 weight are rated at 35 lb breaking strength and in order to turn an angry catfish of that sioze you would be best using a 40 lb tippet, so the fly line would have to at least match the tippet...let me know what you think of the math, please.

I've caught a 44 inch rock on the eight weight. My biggest on a baitcaster spooled with 15 lb powerpro and 25 flouro leader was 48". Both were landed inside of five minutes.

Take a look at the IGFA tippet records and your math goes out the window. You can lean on fish with a properly set drag.

My math no equal 70# channel cat. Blue=maybe

It appears you have trout fisherman's mindset. Sink tips aren't going to get you deep but a full sink line will (so will a sinking head on a intermediate running line). Free your mind from leaders and X tippets and embrace throwing a perfection loop in a 5 foot section of 20 lb mono for sinking lines.

70# Channel? World record was 50 something odd lbs caught on Santee Cooper.

Any bluegill fly should do the trick.

If I was trying to catch one, I wouldn't use tippet. Just a big tapered leader.

I throw an 8wt with a tapered leader - fly attached directly to it for rockfish.

If you're serious about it, give me a holler in June.

I can show you where to do it, but can't promise they'll eat the fly.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Good things, Good things...I'm pretty uninformed and inexperienced about the catfish species, so I will apologize for the example using blues. A 70# fish could easily be turned using less than 40 lb.fluoro or mono, but I'm guessing that at a 25 foot depth you'd need more strength in the line to get a hook set than in say 4-5' of water...anyway, it's interesting to think about. I just hate going too light and wishing you had gone the heavy route...Largemouth bass have taught me about that!

Any way, big hang-time optical minnows tied in a bream/bluegill pattern would be my first choice for a fly. Let me know what you think of this color scheme (not my tie):

At least I'm housebroken.

These fish (flatheads) will be in about 3-5ft of water. Not much structure around.

It could be better at night.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

The reason I say 25' is that I have a buddy who gets after them on Santee-Cooper at about that depth...he trolls using conventional methods like live perch on a Santee rig in 25' of water and I'm trying to recreate that scenario using a fly. Very challenging and I appreciate the input.

Manitoba:

My first fly for the big guys...8/0 Owner Beast hook (swimbait/jig style hook)

That should catch a number of different fish.

I am also going to plop this in front of large mouth....fingers crossed

Now is time.
    The big flatheads should be patrolling the shallow flats late in the day and on into the night.
    Something big is working on bait in front of my dock every evening.

DAngit! Noted-Thank you Bogster!

Another good place to try is along sandbars on the Edisto.
    Probably from the tree houses down to the state park ramp.
    Lots of sandbars and lots of flatheads down there.

Would be wise to take an ultra-lite and some beetle spins if the cats aren't cooperative, you can always take home a cooler of redbreast.

I'm in the Greenville, BOg and I can't get down there this week. I am going to hit you up when I can get down there, if that's cool. For now, I'll have to suffer Thanks for the heads up on the feesh!

Do that. There's something in my slough that keeps the bowfishers coming back.
    I reckon I should probably put out a few rods and drink beer on my dock all night one night.