Thread: Rice varieties for duck impoundments?

Default Rice varieties for duck impoundments?

My B-I-L is dying to try some rice, and we're looking at clearing a small (about 1 acre) field in our lower impoundment. He wants to try it there so we don't risk our main field which will be in corn as usual.

What's your source for seed, what are some good varieties and what's the growing season?

Feel free to chime in with pros and cons on rice if you have personal experience in your field.

Thanks!
    That the Tiger's roar may echo.....

One acre? Good luck with the blackbirds!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Do you have a plan for putting the Urea out in water?

What I don't know about rice cultivation would fill a library shelf full of books!! I'm just trying to figure everything out and thought I'd start with where to get seed.

Forty years ago (when I was a teenager) my father and I planted a small pond in rice. I think the variety was Nato. Best I can remember, we soaked the seed ahead of time and broadcast, then flooded. When the plants were +/- 6" tall we drained the field and broadcast granular "soda" and flooded again after several weeks. It made a beautiful crop, but the wood ducks ate it all way before the season opened.

Rice may not be practical. But any help will be appreciated.
    That the Tiger's roar may echo.....