Thread: Palmetto trail reacquainted

Default Palmetto trail reacquainted

I know we had been talking about the AT so I needed to get out. Been a while since I have done any legs of the PT. Did an overnight camp/hike. Totaled 22 miles. Saw some neat things, and had a good time. I got to see a cow give birth, I got a picture of her eating the placenta(kind of gross but not everyday you see it) total of 27 deer, turkeys and gobbling, owls and had a 3:30 am coyote howling outside my tent this am. Still smoke free and glad BC I would have never made this hike if I was still smoking! Pack weight total was thirtytwo pounds. Killed my 2liter bladder and resupplied at crims creek with the sawyer squeeze. Here's a couple pics.

Lunch was some Alfredo noodles

Hope station

Should have gotten a picture of more deer but watched most of them instead

Cow eating the stuff.

Ready for my next leg of the trail on Friday I hope!
    Last edited by beanhunter; 03-15-2015 at 08:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BOG View Post
    Tip:
    Although it is natural for you and seems to be out of your hands, try to suppress your natural inclination towards dumbassedness and do some research of your own.I wish you luck.
    Tekton Game Calls
    http://tektongamecalls.com

That's purdy cool!
    867-5309

That's good stuff.

Cool stuff!

I actually live on a leg of the trail. Hikers coming by on the street all the time. You work your way down here, let me know. No coyotes in the house and I got plenty of water.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

Ever tried hammock camping to lighten the load and not have to sleep on the hard ground?
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck the Duck Slayer View Post
    Ever tried hammock camping to lighten the load and not have to sleep on the hard ground?
    That's a good idea. I carry an ENO double nest, heavy duty straps and a Marmot 40°F bag and it only takes up about 15-20L. With this set-up, I have overnighted with a 24L daypack. With food, water, filter and stove/pot I had to strap the bag on the outside but it is very much an ultralight setup.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

I was in luxury w the tent. Made the pack heavier but I can tote the weight no problem. I have a camp tarp to stretch over a hammock but have not pulled the trigger on one yet. I was looking at the emo double nest the other day. What's your opinion/review of it?
    Tip:
    Although it is natural for you and seems to be out of your hands, try to suppress your natural inclination towards dumbassedness and do some research of your own.I wish you luck.
    Tekton Game Calls

Quote Originally Posted by beanhunter View Post
    I was in luxury w the tent. Made the pack heavier but I can tote the weight no problem. I have a camp tarp to stretch over a hammock but have not pulled the trigger on one yet. I was looking at the emo double nest the other day. What's your opinion/review of it?
    I have the EMO double nest, EMO rain fly, and the bug net. The hammock and rain fly weigh the exact same as my 2 man ultra lite tent so that is a toss up for me.

If I know it is going to rain, my tent can't be beat. The hammock with rain fly is normally fine, but I have been damp after a monsoon with heavy wind. If it rains you have to figure out how to keep your pack dry. EMO also has a net available that you can stow your gear elevated under your hammock, but I didn't buy that one yet. Another thing to keep in mind, if it is humid, you will probably need to still use the rain fly. One time I fell asleep looking at the night sky and woke up soaked from the dew.

The good thing about the hammock and rain fly is that it can fasten to the outside of my pack to save room inside. As far as comfort, the hard ground hurts my back halfway through the night. The hammock is a little more comfy, but I have a hard time sleeping in it sometimes because I like to sleep on my side.

I don't have a tent so I can't really compare. I do know I sleep relatively well in the Eagle Nest Outfitters (ENO) double nest hammock. It's nothing like sleeping in my own bed, but it ain't bad. What I do like is that I never have to worry about the ground underneath me getting wet or being too hard.

Folks that sleep on their backs can get away with hanging it loose between two trees. I sleep on my side so I like to hang it fairly taut. My back never bothers me in the moring but I don't usually have any back pains anyway.

The hammock fits in a pocket that's attached midway along one edge. I don't have the bug cover so I usually put something heavy in the pocket and flip it over to close the top. It helps a little to keep the warm air in too. I don't think it would work with the single nest - there wouldn't be enough material. I'm 6' and 200 lbs. I don't think a real tall person would have a problem but I can't imagine a 300lb'er in a hammock - the material is pretty tight with just me in it.

I've never camped in cold weather (less than about 40°F) but the underside does get real cold because my weight against the taut material compresses insulation and reduces its effectiveness. My daughter uses a yoga matt with hers and says it solves the problem. I just use a sleeping bag and fleece liner pants - it's chilly but not miserable. They make an underquilt that insults the underside of the hammock. I know a few folks that have them and swear it is toasty warm. But, by the time you've got an underquilt, rain fly, hammock, and straps, you might be better with a tent. But, of course, you'll need a bulky sleeping pad for hard/cold ground.

If I were hiking the AT, I think I'd carry a sleeping bag, some sort of sleeping pad and a hammock. In bad weather I'd make sure to sleep in a shelter (you're supposed to anyway) with the sleeping bag and sleeping pad. In mild, dry weather, the hammock would give me the option to sleep away from everybody else or would be a quick set-up for taking a midday nap. Of course, you don't have good weather forecasts on the trail so you'll want a tarp too.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    I do know I sleep relatively well in the Eagle Nest Outfitters (ENO)
    Sorry, after a few beers ENO turned into EMO for me.

I agree with Rubberhead on his post. Making my hammock tighter helps me sleep on my side better. Also, I used mine in Wyoming last year and it got down to 40 degrees at night. I froze until I put a sleeping pad between my sleeping bag and the hammock.

The only thing I have a different opinion on is the tarp. To me, the rain fly works great and it is light and compact. Just pray that it doesn't rain sideways.

Too bad it doesn't come all together. Piecing the hammock together w rain fly or bug net and straps and mat add upto a lot. One of my tents is two lbs and add my therma rest I'm probably around same weight as all the other accessories and hammock. Still, I'd like to try the hammock just to say I did.
    Tip:
    Tekton Game Calls

Quote Originally Posted by beanhunter View Post
    Still, I'd like to try the hammock just to say I did.
    It is awesome. You get a little more of "sleeping in the wild" feeling. Last year in Utah, the air was so dry, I didn't use my rain fly. I woke up in the middle of the night to a herd of elk walking 20 yards from camp. I could see them plain as day because of the full moon. If I was in my tent, I would have heard them, but never would have seen that.

If you get up to pee a lot, a hammock is not for you. Talk to Firemedic if you want the ins on hammock camping. He has the cats meow unit.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

Quote Originally Posted by Goin Coastal View Post
    If you get up to pee a lot, a hammock is not for you. Talk to Firemedic if you want the ins on hammock camping. He has the cats meow unit.
    Cats meow usually = $$$$$$$

I just ordered this http://www.cabelas.com/product/Trave...0&Ntt=Hammocks
    Mainly because I want something I can have at the farm if I don't want to be inside during the summer since we have no A/C. Plus I'm sure it'll come in handy just having it in the truck.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

I was a skeptic of the ENO but one night in it and I was sold. I keep mine in the trunk for whatever arises. Have slept in it in Colorado, Utah, Arizona and numerous times here. cheap harbor freight tarp and some paracord and you have a quick rain fly. definitely go with the tent for heavier applications but the convenience of the eno is hard to beat. amazing how comfortable they are.
    It may be lonely at the top, but its a bitch at the bottom...

Ultimatehang.com had some reviews and other advice if you get a chance to read over there.

Firemedic hasn't been on in over a week hope everything is ok with him and I'd really like to know what kind of set up he has.

It actually crosses hwy 215 down below my house. The wife and I had talked about checking it out, but haven't really had time.