Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Duck food

Honest question, why wouldn't one plant rice over Jap Millet in areas that corn won't grow? The only advantage I can see Jap Millet has is a faster maturation time.

Quote Originally Posted by surfcock View Post
    Honest question, why wouldn't one plant rice over Jap Millet in areas that corn won't grow? The only advantage I can see Jap Millet has is a faster maturation time.
    Rice is much more expensive to plant.

Ear height doesn't matter they'll get it if there's water to sit on

Quote Originally Posted by loud1 View Post
    Ear height doesn't matter they'll get it if there's water to sit on
    It's definitely better if they can reach the ear. Ear height matters a lot, but it doesn't matter so long as the ears are under water, or within a couple feet of the water. I've seen plenty of ears in ponds hanging 4' over the water that are untouched while EVERY ear at water level (or within 2' of the water level) are completely eaten.

Look at the top 5 states duck harvest,then look up the top 5 states rice harvest....see how they compare....
    If it aint got 8 toes & a green head,it aint a duck.

Quote Originally Posted by buckfarmer View Post
    It's definitely better if they can reach the ear. Ear height matters a lot, but it doesn't matter so long as the ears are under water, or within a couple feet of the water. I've seen plenty of ears in ponds hanging 4' over the water that are untouched while EVERY ear at water level (or within 2' of the water level) are completely eaten.
    Ear height does matter, but it doesn't matter, but it does kinda, but it doesn't...I don't really know I'm just repeating little snipers of bullshit I read on other websites. Please shut the fuck up for once.

Quote Originally Posted by marsh chicken View Post
    Ear height does matter, but it doesn't matter, but it does kinda, but it doesn't...I don't really know I'm just repeating little snipers of bullshit I read on other websites. Please shut the fuck up for once.

Maybe you can ask Habitat Flat's opinion since you got booted from there.

No repeating of snippets, just what I know from managing 80+ acres of corn impoundments. Ear height does matter depending on your ability to manipulate the water level. Of you had any idea of what you were talking about, or even minimal experience, you'd know that ducks can't eat what they can't reach. If you can't raise the water beyond the bottom ear, then the second ear doesn't matter.

Ear height does matter depending on your ability to manipulate the water level. Of you had any idea of what you were talking about, or even minimal experience, you'd know that ducks can't eat what they can't reach. If you can't raise the water beyond the bottom ear, then the second ear doesn't matter.
    Buck they are suggesting the ducks will knock down the corn etc if you have a pond the ducks like. You are right that they prefer an easier meal but they also will knock down the corn to get it as well.

I don't have the experience as others but have seen them knocking down corn.

I will say it is similar to McDonald's in my opinion. Location matters most and you can have a decent pond with corn stalks with no ears.

Maybe you can ask Habitat Flat's opinion since you got booted from there.

No repeating of snippets, just what I know from managing 80+ acres of corn impoundments. Ear height does matter depending on your ability to manipulate the water level. Of you had any idea of what you were talking about, or even minimal experience, you'd know that ducks can't eat what they can't reach. If you can't raise the water beyond the bottom ear, then the second ear doesn't matter.
    Numerous research would argue otherwise. Ducks will adapt and get to corn that isn't at water level. Hell, there is a video of them doing just that at habitat flats. You would think their #1 Internet fanboy would know that. Not to mention if you flood the corn too deep the ducks have a hard time feeding on corn that has fallen off and gone to the ground, as well as native seeds, bugs, etc that may be on the ground. But I'm sure you already knew all that.

Now go work on a better comeback, I expect to at least chuckle a bit.
    Last edited by marsh chicken; 01-31-2015 at 08:41 AM.

Marsh Chicken:

A person that starts a thread asking about a topic and admitting to be a newb, then turning around to dole out an experienced opinion on the very same topic they previously claimed to be "pretty new at."

you really can't make this shit up.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    Marsh Chicken:

A person that starts a thread asking about a topic and admitting to be a newb, then turning around to dole out an experienced opinion on the very same topic they previously claimed to be "pretty new at."

Bog....I don't know the first thing about the different seed varieties of rice, what bugs are detrimental to corn, or what fertilizer works best with millet. But that doesn't mean I am clueless when it comes to putting water on those fields come duck season. Just like their are plenty of farmers who can tell you everything there is to know about how to grow corn, but don't understand the first thing about duck hunting over it. Being a farmer doesn't automatically translate into being a good hunter or even a good wildlife manager.

My questions in the other thread pertain to what fertilizers to use, planting dates if planting multiple crops, soil prep, etc. I don't claim to know it all. But I have soaked up enough knowledge over the years to understand how different water levels effect ducks wanting to feed. Maybe you can head on over to that thread and impart some insight on the subject at hand since you seem to be very knowledgable on all of it?
    Last edited by marsh chicken; 01-31-2015 at 11:02 AM.

Marsh Chicken:

Quote Originally Posted by Ghetto View Post
    Buck they are suggesting the ducks will knock down the corn etc if you have a pond the ducks like. You are right that they prefer an easier meal but they also will knock down the corn to get it as well.

I don't have the experience as others but have seen them knocking down corn.

I will say it is similar to McDonald's in my opinion. Location matters most and you can have a decent pond with corn stalks with no ears.
    The best scenario is to have the short variety where you can raise the water level over the season to expose new food.

As for ducks knocking down healthy corn stalks to get ears that are to high over the water: it may happen in some areas with more numbers, but it isn't happening much in SC. Yes, I've seen large numbers ducks in other states do just about anything to get food when a big freeze has happened or is about to happen. SC doesn't have the numbers or conditions to prompt that sort of behavior, but it may happen very occasionally. Here, the most convenient food is preferred, and if you've dropped a lot of money into flooding and seeds, why wouldn't you try to flood/plant so that the food is easily accessible to the ducks (instead of banking on ducks knocking down corn that's too tall)??

. Not to mention if you flood the corn too deep the ducks have a hard time feeding on corn that has fallen off and gone to the ground, as well as native seeds, bugs, etc that may be on the ground. But I'm sure you already knew all that. .

Sometimes flooding it deep is ok depending on what ducks you want. There are some corn ponds out there that people intentionally flood deep for ring necks. Most others flood to the bottom ear, or just above it.

Aside from that, I never said anything about flooding it too deep, but that you raise the water over the season to expose new food, and there is hardly any "corn that falls off and sinks to the ground". They eat almost all of it (99.999%) directly off of the ear.

Lastly, there aren't many (if any) people planting and flooding impoundments in SC to rely on "bugs and native seeds". That may be a nice fringe benefit, but not the goal of spending tens of thousands on corn and flooding.

Have you ever flooded, planted or managed a corn impoundment in SC? Whenever you do, please send many pics of all the waves ducks bypassing corn ponds on their way to you bug and native seed haven.

buck, you don't see wood ducks hanging off ears on a regular basis?
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

buck, you don't see wood ducks hanging off ears on a regular basis?
    Like ornaments!

Sometimes flooding it deep is ok depending on what ducks you want. There are some corn ponds out there that people intentionally flood deep for ring necks. Most others flood to the bottom ear, or just above it.

Aside from that, I never said anything about flooding it too deep, but that you raise the water over the season to expose new food, and there is hardly any "corn that falls off and sinks to the ground". They eat almost all of it (99.999%) directly off of the ear.

Lastly, there aren't many (if any) people planting and flooding impoundments in SC to rely on "bugs and native seeds". That may be a nice fringe benefit, but not the goal of spending tens of thousands on corn and flooding.

Have you ever flooded, planted or managed a corn impoundment in SC? Whenever you do, please send many pics of all the waves ducks bypassing corn ponds on their way to you bug and native seed haven.

You plant a 80 acre corn pond every year and suddenly your the fucking expert on waterfowl management? If that's the case I'm a board certified cardiologist because I know how to take a persons blood pressure.

Watch the following clip and see if this changes your opinion at all about what I said. Maybe it will, maybe it won't. I don't really give a shit. But understand that just because a group of people all do the same thing, doesn't always mean it's the best thing. Corn has it's place, as it's a great cold weather food source, but we aren't in a very cold climate. So maybe drawing down the water a bit and planting other things besides corn would allow you to shoot something besides ringnecks out of your 6 foot deep corn pond.

Go up north and watch ducks feed when it's 50 degrees out. They aren't pilling in any corn fields. They are in the marshes, eating invertebrates, tubers, native seeds, grasses, etc. You don't need to be a farmer to understand why that is.

Last edited by marsh chicken; 01-31-2015 at 02:37 PM.

You plant a 80 acre corn pond every year and suddenly your the fucking expert on waterfowl management? If that's the case I'm a board certified cardiologist because I know how to take a persons blood pressure.

Watch the following clip and see if this changes your opinion at all about what I said. Maybe it will, maybe it won't. I don't really give a shit. But understand that just because a group of people all do the same thing, doesn't always mean it's the best thing. Corn has it's place, as it's a great cold weather food source, but we aren't in a very cold climate. So maybe drawing down the water a bit and planting other things besides corn would allow you to shoot something besides ringnecks out of your 6 foot deep corn pond.

Go up north and watch ducks feed when it's 50 degrees out. They aren't pilling in any corn fields. They are in the marshes, eating invertebrates, tubers, native seeds, grasses, etc. You don't need to be a farmer to understand why that is.

Yeah, but this isn't Arkansas or Missouri. Ducks behave very differently in different areas, and what is true in one area may not work in another. Ducks eat easily accessible food, and they go for grain in the fall/winter. They focus on invertebrates in the early spring for their changing dietary needs at that time of year. Do you know what promotes invertebrates in impoundments?

Pay attention: I didn't say I flooded corn deep for ringnecks, but some people do. I also agree that a variety of grains/depths is beneficial, but corn is the best, and should be the main crop. Millets, chufa, etc certainly don't hurt, but corn resists rot the longest.

As for ducks feeding "up north" when it's 50 degrees, you're right and wrong, but you don't even know why, and I'm not going to educate you further because you're probably confident that you can learn everything from youtube.
    Last edited by buckfarmer; 01-31-2015 at 08:21 PM.

Yeah, but this isn't Arkansas or Missouri. Ducks behave very differently in different areas, and what is true in one area may not work in another. Ducks eat easily accessible food, and they go for grain in the fall/winter. They focus on invertebrates in the early spring for their changing dietary needs at that time of year. Do you know what promotes invertebrates in impoundments?

As for ducks feeding "up north" when it's 50 degrees, you're right, they do stay in wetlands more when it's that warm, but are heading to available grain at dark. Aside from that, I'm not going to educate you further because you're probably confident that you can learn everything from youtube.
    I figured that video would get you all butt hurt. Sorry to prove you wrong. Maybe you can make a YouTube video explaining why ducks act differently when they cross the border into South Carolina?

I figured that video would get you all butt hurt. Sorry to prove you wrong. Maybe you can make a YouTube video explaining why ducks act differently when they cross the border into South Carolina?

They do act differently in SC than "out west" and in colder states in a lot of ways, and the fact that you don't know that, or even why, proves you don't know jack. It may not be a bad thing for you to try listening rather than rattling on about your youtube knowledge...did that sort of arrogance get you booted last year at HF?
    Last edited by buckfarmer; 01-31-2015 at 08:26 PM.