Thread: Freelancing Newb

Default Freelancing Newb

Can anyone shed some light on planning a freelancing trip OOS? I've been thinking about it for a while and finally decided that next year is the year. I want to try somewhere far west like Oklahoma or Kansas. Do any of you guys have any pointers for someone who has never hunted public land outside of SC? We have a small jon boat and all the gear to hunt around home. I am also in the process of finding a small pop up camper to purchase this year.

What else should I be thinking about? What steps need to be taken to find a body of water that is legal and full of ducks? I hope some of the more experienced guys on here will be able to lend me a little wisdom. Thanks.

Just go and figure it out on your own. It will be more rewarding. The people who act like they know it all dont know shit and the ones that do probably aren't gonna help someone they don't know on the Internet.

Or you could just wait for JAB to start back posting bird counts.

Google earth, state DNR bird counts and just go and see. I know a lot about some states further west, but I'm not gonna post any of that on the interweb.
    More Ducks, Less People

I hear Ohio is the next Arkansas

Quote Originally Posted by mudminnow View Post
    I hear Ohio is the next Arkansas
    Damn it Phil. The cat's out of the bag now.
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

There's no birds west of the Mississippi...
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Ive spent a fair amount of time doing the prep work scquackaddict mentions for a trip next fall. Had a few folks point me in the right direction too. Be ready to learn, don't make any definitive plans except for general areas, plan to spend the first few days doing more scouting than hunting, and have fun!

Scout all day and hunt when given the chance

And don't post on the www.

If you go to Arkansas, this is the right of passage for your first time ....

^^^^^ what the....

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    Just go and figure it out on your own. It will be more rewarding. The people who act like they know it all dont know shit and the ones that do probably aren't gonna help someone they don't know on the Internet.
    This^^^

Dedicate the time to finding the spots and birds, and you'll be rewarded.