Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Arkansas SWD Petition

It's a fact that the SWD has increased the harvest on mallards.

Why haven't we seen the results translate into lower mallard numbers?

Could it be that at the same time, we have had perfect nesting conditions in the northern praries?

Wonder what we will see after a bad nesting season or two(aka drought)?

Quote Originally Posted by MorningWoody View Post
    Our forefathers used live decoys, I would love to use live ducks in my spread. They also used lead shot and no plugged guns so quit acting like the old days hunters were so much better sportsman...
    Your grandfather nor mine were market gunners son. However, our fathers and grandfathers had enough sense to realize what they were doing was wrong and acted to benefit waterfowl above themselves. Thank God for them.

I have no doubt that you would love to use live decoys. I on the other hand prefer to use skill and experience, and convince the birds that I am not a charade. You'll have to excuse the hunter in me.
    For the sake of waterfowl and future generations, I can only pray that folks like you don't pass on your mentality to your children.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

We have much bigger problems in the waterfowl hunting community than the SWD issue. I've hunted over a SWD three times in my life. When used right it provides an advantage, but no where near the advantage that providing food (be it planting or baiting) does. Whether they are banned or not I could care less, but I'm weary of governmental intrusion into mundane issues when there is no effort whatsoever to address major issues like the folks who were jump shooting ducks at full speed in a 16' Jon boat 15 minutes after sunset Sunday night.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor View Post
    ?????? You ever hunted public in AR?
    Professor
    Yes quite often. Maybe I don't go to the popular landings. I don't see them driving through town either though except in Brinkley where an office is.
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Duckman#1 View Post
    They also heat with wood burning stoves and rode horses. As much as I hate the damn things I'm afraid there here to stay. After the first couple years everyone was saying that there was a high percentage of juviniles being killed over swd. 15 years later they seem to have had no affect on ducks.
    I just want be able to use a punt gun!
    “Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it.”

― Norman Maclean

Quote Originally Posted by ndbrown213 View Post
    How can you be so sure Labluvr?
    I'm not 100 percent sure, but there could only be about two reasons duck acted like they did, either one hell of a spinner or corn. Those ducks locked up like you rarely see that high up.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Mojo Life!
    867-5309

I use 1
    867-5309

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    Where our fathers and grandfathers before us just used decoys, natural surroundings, knowledge of waterfowl and weather, and the skill of a call, we use mallard machines, robotic ducks, vortexes, and any other electronic device we can to give ourselves a one up on our game.
    Dont forget the corn.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Here are some results of one of the WMA SWD bans in Michigan - from 2011 - after two years of the ban:

Among hunters that hunted all three years and did not use
    SWDs in 2009, they devoted 0.97 ± 0.17 days of effort per duck harvested in 2009,
    0.90 ± 0.13 days of effort per duck in 2010, and 0.96 ± 0.13 days of effort per duck in 2011
    (Figure 2). These estimates were not significantly different between years. Among hunters
    that hunted ducks all three years and had used SWDs in 2009, they devoted 0.68 ± 0.03 days
    of effort per duck harvested in 2009, 0.87 ± 0.05 days of effort per duck in 2010, and
    0.82 ± 0.05 days of effort per duck in 2011 (Figure 2). Estimates of efficiency were
    significantly different among years; it required significantly less effort for the same hunter to
    harvest a duck using SWDs in 2009 than without SWDs in both 2010 and 2011.

It is interesting to note, but not unexpected - that the spinner users experienced a little more difficulty killing a duck after the ban, but the non-spinner users saw no difference. While the overall hunting experience was rated to be better - that is, the hunters indicated the ducks worked and finished better.
    Hunting experience was better. That in and of itself should make people want to get rid of them.
    http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/b...ll-wma-land-in
    Last edited by Sparkleberry Ridge Runner; 01-28-2015 at 12:42 PM. Reason: addition
    Become one with nature then marinate it.

Why don't we all go to high fence deer hunts too? The op here seems to be too young to know or can't kill a bird without them.
    Skybusters: Magic Does Not Apply to Shotgun Physics

Skybusting, or the art of trying to magically propel steel shot 100 yards into the air at a passing duck, is a sure-fire way to ruin your own chances, and everyone else’s chances, at actually killing a duck.

It's a tool like anything else. I have seen days when they flaired ducks and days when it made them commit suicide. Only issue I see with the ban is where does it end?
    Lets get off the our fore fathers kick. They baited the shit out of ducks
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    It's a tool like anything else. I have seen days when they flaired ducks and days when it made them commit suicide. Only issue I see with the ban is where does it end?
    I pretty much agree.

But look at all the new gadgets from the last 5 years.

I'm certain more are on the way. Where do you draw the line?

Will it be ok to use a RC plane that looks like a duck to fly around your decoys?

I would be ok with a ban on all battery/power operated decoys.

I'd be ok with not telling others how to hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    We bait the shit out of ducks now. It just happens to be called "waterfowl management" these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Murray View Post
    I pretty much agree.

But look at all the new gadgets from the last 5 years.

I'm certain more are on the way. Where do you draw the line?

Will it be ok to use a RC plane that looks like a duck to fly around your decoys?

I would be ok with a ban on all battery/power operated decoys.
    As would I. The line has to be drawn at some point.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    If how others hunt affects the resource and other hunters, then it has to be addressed.

So what about live decoys? Or baiting? Or electronic calls? None fall under "fair chase" and neither should flipping a switch on a motorized crutch.

Last edited by Sparkleberry Ridge Runner; 01-28-2015 at 03:18 PM.

I'm not saying legalize anything currently outlawed. Mojos aren't ruining the resource. If they are ruining Arkansas why the hell do so many people from sc still go? People love writing new laws after getting their feelings hurt. Outlaw shotguns too. They kill the shit out of ducks.

There was a time when mojos were unfair. That was a little over a decade ago. Now they are just part of everyones spread just about. By the time the birds get here, they have figured them out. I use one and kill ducks. I've left it at the house and killed ducks too. It's the people that shoot at every bird in the sky that hurts us. I bet if you could legally hunt over a corn pile you would, and can't convince me otherwise. I know I would make sure my hole was glowing yellow! To short of time on this planet to bitch about the small things. Oh and fuck Arkansas timber. I live in SC.
    867-5309

I'm not saying legalize anything currently outlawed.
    And I'm saying - So what about live decoys? Or baiting? Or electronic calls? None fall under "fair chase" and neither should flipping a switch on a motorized crutch. These were all outlawed in the past for various reason to include but not limited to not falling under fair chase, too detrimental, unfair advantage, etc. If a motorized decoys falls into the same category, why not outlaw it?

Last edited by Sparkleberry Ridge Runner; 01-28-2015 at 03:34 PM.