Thread: Are all rattlesnakes created equal? No, maybe not

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Default Are all rattlesnakes created equal? No, maybe not

Are all rattlesnakes created equal? No, maybe not

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0114140529.htm

New research by a team of biologists has revealed that creating antivenom is a bit tricky. That's because the type of venom a snake produces can change according to where it lives.

If you're one of the unfortunate few to be bitten by a venomous snake, having access to effective antivenom to combat the swelling, pain and tissue damage to these bites is critical.

But new research by a team of biologists at Florida State University has revealed that creating antivenom is a bit tricky. That's because the type of venom a snake produces can change according to where it lives.

Mark Marges, a Florida State doctoral student in Professor Darin Rokyta's laboratory, led a research study that examined the venom of 65 eastern diamondback rattlesnakes and 49 eastern coral snakes from all over the state of Florida to determine whether snake venoms varied by geography.

In the rattlesnakes, geography mattered.

The venom from an eastern diamondback rattlesnake in the Florida panhandle is very different than the venom from a rattlesnake 500 miles south in the Everglades, and this has huge implications for snakebite treatment.

"So if you use just southern venoms when making the antivenom, it would be ineffective against some of the more common toxins found in northern diamondback rattlesnakes," said Florida State University doctoral student Mark Margres.

The research is published in the journal Genetics.

In the rattlesnakes, they found significant variation linked to geography. But, in the coral snakes, they found the venom to be identical no matter where the snakes were found.

"This can tell us a bit of the history and evolutionary patterns of the snakes," said Kenny Wray, a post-doctoral research associate in Rokyta's lab. "This suggests that the coral snakes may be recent invaders to the region and haven't had time to evolve different venoms in different areas."

This information also will help with the development of coral snake antivenom, because scientists now know there is uniformity in coral snake venom. According to a 2012 estimate by the Center for Disease Control, 7,000 to 8,000 people in the United States are bitten by venomous snakes every year.

Not only are there medical implications, this information is also important for conservation purposes.

The eastern diamondback rattlesnake is being considered for federal protection under the Endangered Species Act. But, if the snakes are removed from one geographic area, they will be irrevocably deleted sfrom the ecosystem altogether.

"If we lose some of these populations, we lose a whole venom type," Rokyta said. "That really changes conservation."
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

they may not be created equal but they all should end up the same!

DEAD!!!!!!

KILL 'EM ALL!!!!
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

Quote Originally Posted by squatty View Post

DEAD!!!!!!

KILL 'EM ALL!!!!

A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

I opened this knowing of bog and Squatty to post here
    Quote Originally Posted by BOG View Post
    Tip:
    Although it is natural for you and seems to be out of your hands, try to suppress your natural inclination towards dumbassedness and do some research of your own.I wish you luck.
    Tekton Game Calls
    http://tektongamecalls.com

I only read the Headline I don't even know what's in the post

Quote Originally Posted by beanhunter View Post
    I opened this knowing of bog and Squatty to post here

Kill all of em'!

5,4,3,2,1.... Hey Bog!

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

This statement flummoxed me:

"If we lose some of these populations, we lose a whole venom type," Rokyta said.
    If you lose that population you wouldn't need that venom type cause there wouldn't be any of that population biting folks.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post

If you lose that population you wouldn't need that venom type cause there wouldn't be any of that population biting folks.
    I thought the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post

or you kill them all and fix the problem once and for all
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Quote Originally Posted by squatty View Post

DEAD!!!!!!

KILL 'EM ALL!!!!
    Your not alone in your hatred of snakes, apparently my wife and son think the same way.

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0XH1vo53KJ4[/ame]

The only thing I hate more than snakes is ducks!
    "We have become so open minded that our brains have fallen out"

Originally Posted by Mergie Master

Venom components are used for much more than making antivenin for that type of snake. Different venom components are used to develop new drugs and treatments for cancers, cardiovascular disease, etc.

For example, certain components of copperhead venom are being used to develop treatments for breast cancer.

If a species becomes extinct, venom components that could potentially be developed into huge benefits to people are lost.
    Hunting outside the box

Quote Originally Posted by Downeast View Post
    The only thing I hate more than snakes is ducks!
    It's turkeys for me. I hate them!

I know this: If BOG is ever snake bit, it'll be on the hand. Squatty would be bit in the back of the leg.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

No the bottom of my foot because I'll be high steppin!

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    I know this: If BOG is ever snake bit, it'll be on the hand. Squatty would be bit in the back of the leg.
    It's happened more than once.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    It's happened more than once.
    I had a scarlet king snake bite me good on the index finger and wouldn't let go. All the sudden I was confused if red touch black was good or was it red touch yellow...
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

I had a scarlet king snake bite me good on the index finger and wouldn't let go. All the sudden I was confused if red touch black was good or was it red touch yellow...
    I had a scarlet for about 5 minutes not that long ago...
    Rule #2: Double tap

The truth is a lie that will get you killed.

Duncraft Pro-Staff

I know this: If BOG is ever snake bit, it'll be on the hand.

That's hysterical. I like snakes. but I appreciate them from a distance.