Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: kicked off a Draw Hunt

Some days I can't shoot well early. Probably staring them down with two eyes. Other days, well...
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    Some days I can't shoot well early. Probably staring them down with two eyes. Other days, well...
    I have 2-3 days a year like this. I always blame the choke, switch chokes, and not miss again.
    Go Tigers!!!

SCDUCKS logic...

Complain about people shooting high birds and mergansers all morning.

Complain about those same people getting the "preventative boot" so you can enjoy your hunt.
    James 4:14

I get the 'shooting palsy' often. I've never been a great wingshot, but somethimes I'm just plain terrible.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

This thread serves no purpose other than to promote drama and advertise another lottery hunt.
    James 4:14

Law is clearly stated in rules. You choose to disregard rules, you deserve consequences. It says on the bottom of your draw letter that failure to abide by laws can result in dismissal from hunt. If people could practice good restraint, we wouldn't need so many laws, but the rebel few ruin it for the rest.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

My wing shooting skills have declined - I think it's a combination of lack of practice and a need to adjust the shims in my Beretta's stock so it points more naturally for me.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

I believe it promotes the idea that if you wait 3 years to hunt a "premiere" hunt, you'd better kill yout 6. It really is that simple.

I hunted the river next door for years, and I'd bet i took a box a few times. Forecast had to be blowing 30 before i did.

Facebook. They want to post a pic of 6 ducks damnit.

Those hunts are suppose to be gimme's right?
    Quote Originally Posted by trentsmith View Post
    Honestly I don't remember why I don't like you but I do remember that I don't like you.

Quote Originally Posted by turfgrass View Post
    SCDUCKS logic...

Complain about people shooting high birds and mergansers all morning.

Complain about those same people getting the "preventative boot" so you can enjoy your hunt.
    I would have enjoyed my hunt even if this guy got to go on his. I'm not complaining. I'm just trying to make sense of it. I have now.
    Go Tigers!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sprigdog View Post
    I believe it promotes the idea that if you wait 3 years to hunt a "premiere" hunt, you'd better kill yout 6. It really is that simple.

I hunted the river next door for years, and I'd bet i took a box a few times. Forecast had to be blowing 30 before i did.

Facebook. They want to post a pic of 6 ducks damnit.

Those hunts are suppose to be gimme's right?
    It's a crap shoot for sure. You either get a good "quadrant" or you don't. Simply luck
    Go Tigers!!!

MAN, sure am glad I got outta the public bullshit. Thanks DuckDynasty. Seen one today at the 395 landing. WING LIFE. My wife LOL.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

If you can't shoot your limit with 15 shells, much less 25, in a rice field then you don't have the skills for this sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckkiller View Post
    It's a crap shoot for sure. You either get a good "quadrant" or you don't. Simply luck
    I was on the Cape 5 years in a row. 2 of my hunts, 3 kids hunts.

I limited once. 2 years in a row, kids of mine shot 1 duck each. In one hunt, it was only duck close enough to even put head down.

I think there is an expectation to kill. Hence, why bring extra shells?

I dunno, y'all can have it. My normal public land hunt is equivalent to your every 3rd year. But, but. Its tradition. Dont miss it one bit.
    Never saw the allure if you lived more than an hour away. People driving from Greenville to hunt. Wow, 4 hour drive to hunt 4 hours. Hence, more than 25 shells.
    Quote Originally Posted by trentsmith View Post
    Honestly I don't remember why I don't like you but I do remember that I don't like you.

I read the first 15 posts so far and thats it, so take this post for what it is. The moment you leave the house you are "on the hunt". On a draw hunt you are only allowed to have 25 shells in your possession. In your truck = in your possession.

That said, if I was held to that understanding every time I hunt a Cat II then I'd be busted for possession of lead shot. I keep a box of lead #8's in my truck almost 365 days a year. I also keep 5 rounds of .270 cal 150 grain corelokts in the console. You never know when you'll forget the ammo during deer season or just need some shot.

I would not agree one bit if a warden gave me a hard time about it by the letter of the law, but you better believe I'd lawyer up and fight it. The majority of LEOs out there aren't out to get you. Their tickets don't benefit them enough to make it as big of a deal as most think they will. Common sense though tells a smart man to leave the extra stuff locked up in the truck. Use common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by sprigdog View Post
    I was on the Cape 5 years in a row. 2 of my hunts, 3 kids hunts.

I limited once. 2 years in a row, kids of mine shot 1 duck each. In one hunt, it was only duck close enough to even put head down.

I think there is an expectation to kill. Hence, why bring extra shells?

I dunno, y'all can have it. My normal public land hunt is equivalent to your every 3rd year. But, but. Its tradition. Dont miss it one bit.
    Never saw the allure if you lived more than an hour away. People driving from Greenville to hunt. Wow, 4 hour drive to hunt 4 hours. Hence, more than 25 shells.
    You're spot on man. I do live 4 hours away now, I use to live in Mt P. HAHA
    It's only worth it for me, to see the amount of ducks around. I've been drawn 4 times. Couldn't go the first time due to surgery. I've yet to kill a limit. 2, 0, and 5. This hunt, we only shot 1 duck that was actually decoying. The teal were not, but it's not hard to kill them when there are 50-75 birds in your face, hence the triple I shot. It really is luck of the draw. It's either on, or off.
    Go Tigers!!!

Quote Originally Posted by surfcock View Post
    I read the first 15 posts so far and thats it, so take this post for what it is. The moment you leave the house you are "on the hunt". On a draw hunt you are only allowed to have 25 shells in your possession. In your truck = in your possession.

That said, if I was held to that understanding every time I hunt a Cat II then I'd be busted for possession of lead shot. I keep a box of lead #8's in my truck almost 365 days a year. I also keep 5 rounds of .270 cal 150 grain corelokts in the console. You never know when you'll forget the ammo during deer season or just need some shot.

I would not agree one bit if a warden gave me a hard time about it by the letter of the law, but you better believe I'd lawyer up and fight it. The majority of LEOs out there aren't out to get you. Their tickets don't benefit them enough to make it as big of a deal as most think they will. Common sense though tells a smart man to leave the extra stuff locked up in the truck. Use common sense.

I agree with you. I also think, one day a person is going to get searched before the start of a hunt and lawyer the heck up, and in the end, that GW is gonna catch a lot of shit over it.
    Go Tigers!!!

Surfcock, my only argument is. (and I disagree with your definition of "on the hunt") During a lottery hunt, when are you actually on the hunt? At check in? or when you've reached your hunting quadrant? I came to the conclusion that its at check in, only one person in this thread has said that, and thats where I got it from.

In my opinion, I'm not in the act of hunting when I'm driving down 17. Duck hunting rules and regs state that I can only shoot 30 minutes prior to sunrise to sunset. however, putting decoys out is considered "the hunt". So am I hunting on the way to said hunting location for a lottery hunt?
    Go Tigers!!!

I think the best guess answer is probably from the time you check in, as you have defined. From the moment I leave the house I feel that I am on the hunt though. Legally though, you're probably right. That said, "in your possession" also constitutes what is in your truck from what I understand. Doesn't mean they'll search it. IMO they've have no right to. You only consent to them searching your person per the agreement you are given with your acceptance.

You are checked on the way to the hunt. Not the check in. The biologist reminds you only 25 shells. Then you go put on waders and get your stuff. One last chance to check your stuff before you go. Then you head to dnr truck or boat depending on where you are. That is where they check you. Your fault if you have to many shells at this point.

The night before i go on the draw hunt i go everything twice to make sure i dont have a extra shell in a pocket i forgot about

Man damn everyone know what his intentions were just suck it up and take the punishment. If this doesn't work then maybe they should suspend people from draw hunts for a couple years.
    80-20 Genaration