Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Woodcock!

Default Woodcock!

Glad the season is finally in, the shorthairs did work again today and pointed over a dozen in less than an hour. Cover was thick but I finally managed to scratch out the third one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    scducks c/o2010

Good work

Nice

Sweet. I'm going after them in the am.

Awesome.... Probably what I'm doing in the AM.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Last edited by Southern Gent; 12-21-2014 at 05:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Invite him inside for a tall cool glass of die mother fucker.

Got home and took them out of my vest to clean them, when I walked back in the room I found the puppy I kept out of the litter trying her best to get inside the vest.

scducks c/o2010

Love it. Thanks for sharing.

Do you find these around swampy areas in thick cover? Someone please teach me.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    Do you find these around swampy areas in thick cover? Someone please teach me.

Where do you live mm

scducks c/o2010

You sir are stupid. Woodcock hunting is what the newbies are turning to. There are not enough to go around. pics like this you will regret posting.
    Every Tom, Dick, and Harry is buying a German short Hair as we speak, trying to make it the Swiss army knife of the dog world.
    Last edited by BRR; 12-21-2014 at 06:20 PM.

Looks like a hen and two cock birds?

Back when there was a longer season, we used to have a split with a short November season then a later December/January season.

The November birds always seemed like the super-big females while the later birds were always the quail-sized males. The old rule of thumb was that the hen's bill was longer than a dollar bill is wide and a cock's bill is shorter.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Quote Originally Posted by BRR View Post
    You sir are stupid. Woodcock hunting is what the newbies are turning to. There are not enough to go around. pics like this you will regret posting.
    Every Tom, Dick, and Harry is buying a German short Hair as we speak, trying to make it the Swiss army knife of the dog world.

Guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

scducks c/o2010

Thank Goodness there was never a second run of Country Sport Press' Come October. Things would be even worse than you imagine.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

And I'll have to say you calling the shorthair a "Swiss army knife of the dog world" is pretty damn spot on. Mine have made perfect family/house dogs, found dead deer, ran the piss out of deer & rabbits, retrieved doves and ducks, pointed quail/WOODCOCK, and on one occasion treed the shit out of a coon.

scducks c/o2010

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    Thank Goodness there was never a second run of Country Sport Press' Come October. Things would be even worse than you imagine.

Lmao

scducks c/o2010

Quote Originally Posted by duckjunkie85 View Post
    Guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

P.S. Nice killing. I have found that if you truly love hunting and fishing you shouldn't speak much of your sucess, because there are to many people in this state to share. Most folks just can't keep a secret.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    Frat boys don't read books. they just mimic what they see.

Good killin! I took the Llewellins out Thursday and got in a couple. More working with the young dog than anything. Will be after them, and probably some quail, a couple more times this week.
    Last edited by woody96; 12-21-2014 at 06:51 PM.

P.S. Nice killing. I have found that if you truly love hunting and fishing you shouldn't speak much of your sucess, because there are to many people in this state to share. Most folks just can't keep a secret.
    Couldn't agree more. Most folks don't have a clue when, where or how to hunt them but post one picture and they're sending texts, PM's or just asking how to do it....as noted on here, no offense intended MolliesMaster.

My sons and I ran into a newbie "purist" on opening day. Said he'd been hunting woodcock for 2 1/2 years. Wow, 2 1/2 years! Like ducks, I've been hunting them since the 70's and I'm not even 50 yet. He looked awful dapper in his Filson or LL Bean gear with his blaze orange wearing, bell ringing, e-collared German Shorthair. It would have broken his heart if we told him we shot 2 limits over my yellow lab prior to him potlicking the area we had just hunted.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill