Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Sticker Shock!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ring King View Post
    ...was later converted to a center console by the Xpress factory and had a 70hp Yamaha on it. It was a great boat before I had the console added and went with a POS Yamaha that was slower than my 40hp on the same hull!!
    That low 2.33:1 gearing on the 70 will do that. Got the same issue on my 60. I'll be fixing that after duck season. Other than the speed issue RK, what else did you not like about the Yamaha?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

That was it. It cranked every time, idled smooth, and didn't do too bad on fuel. I just couldn't believe that 30 more hp than my old beat up Johnson would be slower regardless of gearing! I even had a Yamaha rep come to New Orleans to see it for himself and he affirmed that it was set up correctly, propped right, and running the correct RPMs. I will say that I couldn't give it ANY positive trim or the boat would porpoise like crazy!

You'd have been luck to see 20mph on a pontoon boat with that motor which is what they told me it would have been good on!
    Last edited by Ring King; 12-18-2014 at 02:34 PM.
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

From what I understand pontoons and such were what the 60 and 70 were kinda made for, hence the gearing. Right after duck season I'll be tearing my foot apart and exchanging the 2.33:1 for a 2.00:1 set from a 90. In the lower unit of that 60, 70, 90 family the only difference is the pinion, forward and reverse gears and the shims. In theory I should get ~4 more mph by swapping.

That's pretty awesome that a Yamaha rep came out to help though. But I bet that Johnson had something like a 1.8:1 or something. That's a big difference from 2.33:1.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."

Did the Merc at least run faster than the Johnson?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I had the Johnson on there bolted straight to the transom. No jackplate, no tach, and never played with the setup. I also had an extremely beat up prop on it but it pushed that boat at 36mph none the less. The 50hp 59ci Merc 2 stroke on a 6" jackplate ran it up to 43-44mph. I loved that rig with that motor!!! By far my favorite duck boat!! When I threw the 70hp on there I dropped back down to around 35mph but could hit 37mph if I didn't mind porpoising all over the place.
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

That's wild. I got right close to 40 running downriver with this 1651 HD hull of mine and of course it ain't got no pad. And that too was before the jack plate. But I'm not gonna mess with it any more until the gear swap in the spring.
    Last edited by willyworm; 12-19-2014 at 10:27 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If ya'll have questions about the Prodigy boats or want to see one in person, just let me know. I'm running a 1648 hybrid with a hunt deck getting pushed by a 4000 sport H. I was at factory last Friday picking up boats and he has some wicked custom stuff out there.

I'm probably going to take a ride over to Chad's place in January. It's been a few years since I've seen him and we're well over due for catching up. I'm going to come up and see you as well Kevin!

Come on, you got my number. Headed out of town next Sunday for a week to do some killin, but I'll be around till then.

Got a 17.5 Polarkraft with Ice Runners and 48hp 2stroke Johnson coming up for sale soon : Complete with Mud Buddy used twice blind. Stay tuned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    I played my butt horn on a wooden pew once. No one seemed to appreciate it, especially my mom who took me outside and put the fear of God in me. To this day I still look over my shoulder to see if she's around before I fart.

What year Rock? I got one with a 50.