Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sticker Shock!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ring King View Post
    A flat bottom 17ft boat should be able to handle most things other than sea ducks in the bay in Alaska!
    Very true....cheaper for me to just pay a little extra to hunt really big water. Hunted out of a 24 foot duck boat on the Chesapeake last year, i can't justify putting one of those in the back yard much less drag it up and down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by camotoon60 View Post
    I have a friend selling an excel 17 or 18ft with a 90 optimax tiller handle. It is like new. Just bought it last year. Pm if you are interested.
    If it's D, it's an 18'. Excel F4. Bad ass boat in great shape. Just doesnt use it like he thought he would.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

Picked up a 2014 Xpress 16 DDP, 50 Tohatsu 2 stroke, trailer, jack plate, switch panel, and other accessories for 13 earlier this year. You can save 2K by going with 2 stroke motor. I finished rigging it with a 15K lumens light bar on the front and LED light strip on the inside. Got it rigged up right nice. Good hunting rig.
    E T

I've never owned a new truck, car , or boat, shop around and buy used. Then rig it to your liking yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by RuffnReady View Post
    I've never owned a new truck, car , or boat, shop around and buy used. Then rig it to your liking yourself.
    That's the problem! Nobody has what I want used. Especially out here on the West coast! If you're not looking for a 14-15ft V hull Klamath, Lund, or Gregor then you're shit out of luck for a small duck hunting boat. I found a couple of mud rigs but even they are 10 plus hours of driving to get too. The duck rigs that I'm used too just aren't available out here. I want a 16-17ft jon boat styled hull with a 50hp or so outboard on it. I'll do the rigging of the trolling motor and electronics myself.

The more and more I look the more I think Phoneman had it right. I might just have to call Chad at Prodigy and have him put me something together. He and I have been friends for many years (way before he started Prodigy) and I wouldn't mind owning one of his rigs for the simple fact that I know what kind of guy he is and that I can rely on him when it comes to a quality build. Possibly a .100 gauge 1754 V-rake with cat walks, 1 rear starboard corner box, a port side gun box, 12gal tank mounted under the bow, rear drop deck, Prodigy bottoms paint, hydro turf on all flat surfaces, shark eye bow lights, removable pirogue rack on port side, 60hp Mercury Command Thrust 4 stroke with big tiller kit, and maybe even throw a removable poling platform on the back of it just for kicks. That would make for a decent sized boat for me and the boys and should run right about 40mph. If I ever decided at a later date that I "needed" a mudmotor I could just unbolt the Merc and bolt on a GTR35 and be set. I'm over my hardcore boat thrashing days so having the .100 gauge hull would be plenty for me. This rig would also work for me if I end up back in Cordova Alaska. I would either go with the mudmotor or just swap the lower unit on the Merc out for a jet unit and I could run up and down the rivers all day chasing ducks, salmon, bears, and moose!
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

That's the problem! Nobody has what I want used. Especially out here on the West coast! If you're not looking for a 14-15ft V hull Klamath, Lund, or Gregor then you're shit out of luck for a small duck hunting boat. I found a couple of mud rigs but even they are 10 plus hours of driving to get too. The duck rigs that I'm used too just aren't available out here. I want a 16-17ft jon boat styled hull with a 50hp or so outboard on it. I'll do the rigging of the trolling motor and electronics myself.

The more and more I look the more I think Phoneman had it right. I might just have to call Chad at Prodigy and have him put me something together. He and I have been friends for many years (way before he started Prodigy) and I wouldn't mind owning one of his rigs for the simple fact that I know what kind of guy he is and that I can rely on him when it comes to a quality build. Possibly a .100 gauge 1754 V-rake with cat walks, 1 rear starboard corner box, a port side gun box, 12gal tank mounted under the bow, rear drop deck, Prodigy bottoms paint, hydro turf on all flat surfaces, shark eye bow lights, removable pirogue rack on port side, 60hp Mercury Command Thrust 4 stroke with big tiller kit, and maybe even throw a removable poling platform on the back of it just for kicks. That would make for a decent sized boat for me and the boys and should run right about 40mph. If I ever decided at a later date that I "needed" a mudmotor I could just unbolt the Merc and bolt on a GTR35 and be set. I'm over my hardcore boat thrashing days so having the .100 gauge hull would be plenty for me. This rig would also work for me if I end up back in Cordova Alaska. I would either go with the mudmotor or just swap the lower unit on the Merc out for a jet unit and I could run up and down the rivers all day chasing ducks, salmon, bears, and moose!
    I wouldn't think you would want the Command thrust gear case on that rig. Its similar to the bigfoot Mercurys made for pontoon boats or heavy boats.
    “We as a group now have a greater moral responsibility to act than those who live
    in ignorance. Once you become knowledgeable, you have an obligation to do
    something about it.”—Ron Paul

The command thrust models are indeed made for heavier loads. They have a lower gearing and can turn a larger prop to give you more thrust. Ill do some more looking into it though. I know that folks like them on the pad hull boats too because of the larger prop sizes you can run.
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

You just described almost exactly the Prodigy I have in mind. Only difference is I want the full power reverse Pro Drive. You will still be in the 20 K range but you will be getting exactly what you want and not settling for something "close". Also Chad usually has a couple models started that aren't completely finished listed for quick sale. What you described sounds like a typical build that he posts. Nothing out of the ordinary. Good look in working it out, I've been going through the same dilema. If you get it and have it back home, I'm want a ride.
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

I could run up and down the rivers all day chasing ducks, salmon, bears, and moose!
    You would really be a badass if you post pictures of a bear or moose in your duck boat.

I would've loved to have a similar Prodigy to what you described, but just couldn't come close to justifying the 20k on a boat right now.
    Last edited by cusportsman; 12-18-2014 at 07:48 AM.
    *2008 & 2009 Bream World Champion*

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    "The Gamecocks are hammered dog shit"

Quote Originally Posted by cusportsman View Post
    You would really be a badass if you post pictures of a bear or moose in your duck boat.

I would've loved to have a similar Prodigy to what you described, but just couldn't come close to justifying the 20k on a boat right now.
    Chad at prodigy just quoted me on a 17' rig with all the timings and a trailer at 9k. I only have 4k in my motor. 20k is for the average moondick who wants to drive off the lot ready to hunt and is not willing to spend the time finding deals
    Last edited by Griffin; 12-18-2014 at 09:38 AM.
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    Chad at prodigy just quoted me on a 17' rig with all the timings and a trailer at 9k. I only have 4k in my motor. 20k is for the average moondick who wants to drive off the lot ready to hunt and is not willing to spend the time finding deals

That's not bad at all. Going to stick with what I've got for now, but may look at them again in a few years.

What motor are you putting on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    *2008 & 2009 Bream World Champion*

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    "The Gamecocks are hammered dog shit"

Check backwoods landing in Alabama.

Quote Originally Posted by cusportsman View Post

What motor are you putting on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just a 35MB CDI that I have modded
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Xpress H16DB with a 50hp 4 stroke Merc with the big tiller on it in stock. I sent them a message requesting a price on the rig. This is what I got back from them this morning:

$18,095 out the door for boat, motor, trailer, 1 fold down fishing seat, and a SS prop.

Big money, but well made. I bought one of these a couple of years ago for fishing around Wateree and Monticello except got mine switched to a yamaha. The price was several thousand dollars less at the time due to the nature of the boat market during the recession. But yeah that price is $$$$$$$

Quote Originally Posted by diverdelight View Post
    Big money, but well made. I bought one of these a couple of years ago for fishing around Wateree and Monticello except got mine switched to a yamaha. The price was several thousand dollars less at the time due to the nature of the boat market during the recession. But yeah that price is $$$$$$$
    It had to be more than a couple years ago!! Xpress stopped making the HyperLift hulls in a tiller steering model a LONG time ago and just came back out with them this year! I had one of the original 16' HyperLift tiller hulls when they first released them. It started life with a 40hp Johnson, then was switched to a 50hp Mercury, and was later converted to a center console by the Xpress factory and had a 70hp Yamaha on it. It was a great boat before I had the console added and went with a POS Yamaha that was slower than my 40hp on the same hull!!

All I saw was a sweet white cane pole hauler.

Quote Originally Posted by Goin Coastal View Post
    All I saw was a sweet white cane pole hauler.
    look closely, it has a boat trailer behind it

Quote Originally Posted by dixiedeerslaya View Post
    look closely, it has a boat trailer behind it
    Aw sweet. Thats almost as bad ass as the 66 Caddie my dad pulled his tournament bass rig all around the South East with fishing the circuit in late 70 -mid 80s.

It had to be more than a couple years ago!! Xpress stopped making the HyperLift hulls in a tiller steering model a LONG time ago and just came back out with them this year! I had one of the original 16' HyperLift tiller hulls when they first released them. It started life with a 40hp Johnson, then was switched to a 50hp Mercury, and was later converted to a center console by the Xpress factory and had a 70hp Yamaha on it. It was a great boat before I had the console added and went with a POS Yamaha that was slower than my 40hp on the same hull!!

you are right, wrong model.... i guess it pays to read the detail. XP16cc is what I have, not sure why the H16Db looked familiar

If i ever need another boat for my prodrive it would prob be the exact boat RK describes. Ive only seen one prodigy up close and it is mudeagles rig. Its mighty badass. Ive been thoroughly pleased with my 1748 pd boat. Been all i could ask for in a production boat.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.