Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sticker Shock!!!!

I know shopping for used boats can be like pulling teeth, but it can save a ton of coin. I'd say wait til after duck season and they'll be everywhere.

That pirogue rack Tim was telling you about won't be worth the new boat you gotta buy to get it.
    Last edited by willyworm; 12-16-2014 at 10:08 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Low interest rates and 72 month financing have jacked car and boat prices to oblivion. No way even a tricked out F150 should be 50k nor a 16-17 ft alum boat 16-20k. I looked at a new 16' last year and at 16k it was more than 50% higher than I paid for new 16 footer and 50 Yamaha just 5 years earlier in 2008. 50%????? WTF!!!! It will be a while but when lending rates get back to their traditional norms manufacturers will have to cut prices I believe. No way someone will finance 20 on a boat or 50-60 on a truck at 7-9%. Pisses me off.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

The Xpress HD16DBX is a whole different beast than the Hyperlift model. I know that Pad hull is why they're charging more but I don't believe it should make THAT much of a difference!
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

It all adds up quick! I wound up spending more than I wanted to originally, but think I will be pleased with my setup. Work has had me stretched so thin I haven't had a chance to put it in the water yet though.
    *2008 & 2009 Bream World Champion*

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    "The Gamecocks are hammered dog shit"

Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    I also don't buy boats fully rigged I can wire lights and camo my own boat a heck of a lot cheaper than what they charge
    Pro tip right here. There's also the added benefit that you know it was done right and all holes drilled in the hull are properly sealed.

Guess I'll have to get back into the side rigging business to help you fellas out. I was wanting a new rig and yes, the prices are flat out ridiculous. Even if I sell my 3 main boats I have I'm only about half way to what I want. Just can't justify it. This year will be even tougher with the Dr bills rolling in so I'll keep what I got and roll on. What's sad is I can get a nice bay boat from my employer for just 5-7 K more than the Duck rig I want.
    Good luck guys and don't settle for anything. I know to many people that bought the Edge or War Eagle with the 20 Yami because it was priced good but hate it now because it's a pig. Do your homework. If it's extra money,and not too much, it's usually worth it in the long run. Remember resale value is most important in today's market.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

ive got less than 9k in my havoc1553 with 2004 40/50 merc. thats everything, trailer, motor, boat, camo, rino lining, nav lights, amp/speakers.....(i already had seats and troller).

bought the boat new, then had to do a little buying and selling to get the 3cyl merc, but ended up only having about $2200 in it. (bought another boat and motor, sold boat)

tim told me if i would have bought that boat with a new 40 4stroke yamaha on it i would have been in between 14-15k. new motor prices have gone through the roof!

"Charging what the traffic will bare". Don't count out a Triton. I have a 1656 w/ a 50 Merc and absolutely love it. Best all around boat (if there is such a thing) I've found.

I have no problem doing all the electronics rigging being that I do it for a living in the Coast Guard. I don't have any issues mounting the motor and jackplate as I've done that on my last several boats as well. It just seems to me that prices for a production aluminum boat are getting far above what's justifiable for a duck rig!

Chad, over at Prodigy, will build a completely custom boat to your exact specifications right down to where you want a switch installed for the same prices that these production boats are selling for. Now whether or not that's a testament to Chad's character for not over charging for his products I'm not sure about. I really just wanted something for my boys to be able to go fish and hunt in. I didn't know I was going to have to take a lien out on my home in order to get one!!
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

That's what Duck Dynasty will do for you... Make something/anything popular or the "in" thing to do and prices for whatever is associated with it go up.

this time last year when i started testing the waters and pricing a few boats, i almost swallowed my dip when i was quoted 6995 for a 1548 G3 boat and trailer only. before taxes/registration.

i was expecting him to say 4500. it had been 8-10 years since i had been in the boat buying market. but i remember in the 2005ish time i was pricing boats to build my bowfishing boat and i remember a 1654 alumacraft with a 50 2stroke was around 11-12, and at that time i thought that was high. i ended up paying 5800 for a couple year old 1660 seaark with a 50 johnson..... used boats are a pain in the ass to be in the market for but you can surely save some big bucks over new

Matt, when I pull the trigger it will be the Prodigy. With that said, even Chad ' s prices have skyrocketed over the last 2 years. Demand is what drives the price. If I'm gonna spend that much on one rig, it will be done to my liking so I will feel good about spending for what I want. Not settling for something because it's what they have and offer. But if you are just looking for the average rig, the basic Lowes, tritons, weld builts, all welds, and such are good to start. Truck it the way you want for minimal costs and flip it later.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

You can get a custom hull these days for about the price of a production. Wait til after duck season boats come up everywhere after people are tired of paying on them

I'll probably run my old Xpress until it's in two pieces, but when it's time for a new boat, it'll more than likely be a prodigy.

20 grand for a boat.....could do a lot of hunting and fishing with that money. I have a rig that does what i need it to, sure i would like a new one just as much as anyone else, but spending 20 grand blows my mind. Knowing that 20 grand could be enough money to go on two great trips a year for five years where you show up and kill stuff. I'm all about the do it yourself way, but i kinda have to be as my pockets are not that deep.

That's just the thing duckmeat.....I don't currently own a boat and haven't for the last three years. I'm in need of picking up a boat but have to make sure whatever I get is fairly versatile since I don't ever know where I'll be moving for my next duty station. I could be back in the Souteast in 2017 or I may be moving back up to Alaska in 2017. A flat bottom 17ft boat should be able to handle most things other than sea ducks in the bay in Alaska!

I don't think I'll ever buy anything new again. I've got 2 boats and I've got about $28,500 tied up in my fleet. You can't even buy a dang bass boat for that anymore. I can do about anything I want to do with these.

2001/2000 15' Allweld with 40 Yamaha 4stk (now has a jack plate)

2005 23' Polar with twin 150 Yamaha 4stk's

I'm starting to look for in the spring and I'm leaning toward something like a carolina skiff and then having Stump paint it for me so I can hunt out of it. I've found a 1995 19'skiff with a 90 yamaha on it for $3,500 but I'm not ready to pull the trigger. I hope I can find something similar in the spring. You are right so called duck boats have some pretty stiff prices on them.
    Last edited by SCWoody; 12-17-2014 at 02:21 PM.
    The unforgivable crime is soft hitting. Do not hit at all if it can be avoided; but never hit softly.
    Theodore Roosevelt

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

I know a guy with a sweet center console 17ft triton with the hyper lift hull and a 90 optimax he would sell jackplate trolling motor whole 9 yards

I have a friend selling an excel 17 or 18ft with a 90 optimax tiller handle. It is like new. Just bought it last year. Pm if you are interested.