Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sticker Shock!!!!

Default Sticker Shock!!!!

What in the world is going on with the price of duck boats these days???

I'm comsidering purchasing a new boat since I've been out of one for the last several years since I started kayak fishing. I figured I'd look for something in the 16-17ft length with a 40-60hp motor on it. The boat would serve as a duck hunting boat for my two boys and I with a few fishing trips here and there when all three of us wanted to go since my kayak will only accommodate two.

After doing some research on the web and reading all the hype about Havoc boats I decided to look into them. I was really liking the look of the 1756DBST with the 50hp 4 stroke Mercury with the big tiller on it. The problem was that they want almost $20,000 dollars for one! I about had a stroke over the price being that I'd still have to fork out even more cash to get it set up like I wanted with front and rear depth sounders, a jackplate, and a few other odds and ends.

So last night I was on BoatTrader and saw that Marshall's Marine in Lake City has the new Xpress H16DB with a 50hp 4 stroke Merc with the big tiller on it in stock. I sent them a message requesting a price on the rig. This is what I got back from them this morning:

$18,095 out the door for boat, motor, trailer, 1 fold down fishing seat, and a SS prop.

Am I really seeing these prices? Are people really paying these prices for duck boats these days? The Xpress price really was the shocker to me! I'd still have to add a trolling motor just to be able to fish out of it! Not to mention that Xpress has a nationally advertised price of $21,895 for their H18 Bay center console with 90hp Yamaha four stroke, seats, leaning post, 383 Humminbird depth sounder, and saltwater series trolling motor on the bow all included at that price. Why would any one buy the little 16ft HyperLift with a 50hp for $18k when you could get the bay boat with a lot more options and almost double the horsepower for $3k more?

Maybe it's just me but some of the boat manufacturers are out of their minds!!

I don't know what War Eagle charges for a 17ft boat with a 50hp but I know that I can get a 1756 Lowe Frontier DLX with the 50hp Merc for around $13,000 all day long and even though it's not a performance hull I can't see the other two being worth $5,000 more for a similar set up.

Hell, my old man bought a brand new 17' Ranger bass boat with a 115hp Etec a couple years ago from a dealer in Florida for $17,000!

Okay, I'll stop bleeding all over the interweb now. It just blew my mind what dealers were asking for some of these "jon boats" these days!
    Last edited by Ring King; 12-16-2014 at 07:17 PM.
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

Craigslist

Craigslist is a tough one for me right now. Here in California you can't hardly find a jon boat. Everything is deep v aluminum boats even at the dealers. I could get a deep v here for really cheap that would work for duck hunting here but they aren't so great for bass fishing and being that I'm planning on moving back to the SouthEast in two years I wouldn't want a v hull down there either!

The closest War Eagle dealer to me is around 600 miles away in Idaho!
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

Got a 21 Dura Craft Bay series center console I'm fixing to let go, tandem trailer, lcx111chd lowrance, evinrude 150 ocean pro, great all around boat, moving to a bankes dominator

I love it when someone claims they are going to or willing to "let something go".

Quote Originally Posted by Steelin' Ducks View Post
    I love it when someone claims they are going to or willing to "let something go".
    He's a supporting member, so does it really matter?

Wow I spent alot less for my 1656 havoc with a 50 Suzuki I can't believe it was that high

If you look at the Havoc site there is a 1756 on there with 50hp Merc on a tandem axle trailer. That's the one Tim Scott told me was right at $20,000. I would opt for a single axle trailer but I can't imagine that would make a big difference in price.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat8991 View Post
    Wow I spent alot less for my 1656 havoc with a 50 Suzuki I can't believe it was that high
    I'll be home next month and will try and sit down with Kevin Lusk and get an official quote on a Havoc with the Merc. I'd take a 1656 with a 50hp if it makes a big difference in price but I'd really like a 1756 for the room. I don't hunt out of the boat but need room for hauling my pirogues around! I do know that Tim Scott said it wouldn't be a problem adding a removable custom pirogue rack which is a major plus in dealing with them!

may have to piece the package together to get it cheaper that's what I've done with all the boats I've bought. I also don't buy boats fully rigged I can wire lights and camo my own boat a heck of a lot cheaper than what they charge
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

If you are looking at marshalls check out there carolina special on the xpress boats.

Matt you can also look at those Prodigy hulls. I think kevin sells them too. 17 footer with a 70 4 stroke Yamaha would be awesome
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

I don't know about now, but a few years ago Marshalls would move a good bit on their asking price....especially if it is a boat that they have had on the lot for a while. Market may have picked up since then though.

is what it is man. Hell a fully loaded diesel truck is 70k these days. Jon boats aren't as basic as they once were either.
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

I had a 1656 Havoc quoted to me, a good bit of the bells and whistles added and the nicest aluminum trailer they sell with it and it was $7500. No motor
    "run and gun guide service"

From what I've seen, it's the DBST model that's expensive b/c of the rear pods/deck setup.
    1648 Tracker Grizzly
    Yamaha 70 2 stroke

Don't buy new... it would be cheaper for us to ship you something

Hey steelinducks, meaning what?

Whatever I buy will have to be shipped regardless of what I decide on!!! I'm sure that'll add another grand to my expenditure!

I will say that I found a local Ford dealership that has King Ranch Superduty diesel trucks for $55k.

I just bought a Xpress HD16DBX w/40hp Yamaha w/Jackplate, blind, SeeLite, rigged for a good bit less. I bought mine at Muddy Bay Marine in Newberry. Those guys sure were good to me.