Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sleep

MM, do you work from home or answer work calls etc when you're off?

This was my main problem years ago when I had this trouble. I felt that as a business owner that in order to be successful I had to always be accessible. I did that and it made me not only crazy but also almost made me hate my job.

I drew a line in the sand and put up a do not cross sign. And there are no exceptions. When I am off, I am off. Period. The place could be burning for all I care. Call the Fire Dept and I'll deal with it Monday.

I also made a decision that I wouldn't waste a minute of my life worrying about things over which I had no control. Wasted effort and energy.

Both of those decisions have had a huge positive impact on my life. I'm a better person/father and a better doctor as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    SCswitchback-

You and I sound very similar. Blacked out and noiseless environments make my mind more busy
    Definately. Out of curiousity, how old are you?

Glenn, thats solid advice you give about being able to "turn it off", and its easier said than done. I struggle with that every day. Missing one phone call can cost me thousands and I have to get over worrying about that.

Agreed. I took email off of my home ipad so they would stop showing up. The phone goes away when the kids go to bed. Not more work emails.
    My sleep was terrible when I would see a work email right before going to bed. I would think about it in some stupid circular thought pattern all night.

You are probably already doing that so I hope you find a solution.

Quote Originally Posted by SCSwitchback View Post
    Glenn, thats solid advice you give about being able to "turn it off", and its easier said than done. I struggle with that every day. Missing one phone call can cost me thousands and I have to get over worrying about that.
    That's the difference I guess. With me it wasn't about money because the people who think I want to talk about their dogs 24/7 just because I'm a vet were looking for free advice and treatment recommendations so they wouldn't have to make an appointment at either my place or their vet and spend any money. So for me it was easy. Now my response to "Oh, you're a vet?! I've got a dog and he/she's been..." and I cut 'em off and say, "Cool. Call the office Monday and set something up and we can talk about it."

Even the PM's I receive on here about pets don't get answered until I get back into the office.
    Last edited by Glenn; 12-11-2014 at 12:31 PM.

NASCAR???
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Your heart ain't like your balls, ya only got one...
    All you need is a body built for discipline and a mind that can justify so much apparent self-abuse.

Glenn- I try my best to not take work home with me. I do have my work laptop with me at all times and work emails come straight to my phone as well. The down side to my job is that I work for family, it is the family business so my phone is always on and I am always accountable to family to answer phone calls whether they be about work or personal. My grandfather is under the premise that if you are breathing and awake you should be able to work. Faulty logic to me, maybe because I'm from a lazier generation, or maybe because I think my life is worth more than the few extra dollars that might be made, I'll leave that up to each person to decide. There is just a lot of pressure for me to perform here given that is a family business and I am trying to work my way up and prove my worth.

SCswitch, I am 24 years old. Too young to know what stress is, etc.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

I'll tell you this brother. I wasn't put on this earth just to pay bills. I have good friends who had heart attacks and were hospitalized for anxiety in their thirties due to the pressure society and family put on them to succeed. Bump that noise. I'd live in a camper on 2 acres and drive a 20 yr old truck before I let someone else's idea of what I should do and be kill me.

The future bride and I will add you to our prayer list and I hope you make it a priority to take at least some time during your day to make it about you and you only.

Thanks glenn, and I have been working on it. That is why I usually take my lunch break every day and go do some rowing or running and just get away from the office. It does seem to help.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Good stuff in this thread! Keep it going!
    If you give 10 people a bag of gold, someone will complain about how heavy it is!

Thanks glenn, and I have been working on it. That is why I usually take my lunch break every day and go do some rowing or running and just get away from the office. It does seem to help.
    I just found and read this, MM and I don't believe I found it by accident. God bless...

http://www.lilblueboo.com/2014/08/wh...walk-away.html

Hope it helps.
    Last edited by Glenn; 12-11-2014 at 01:59 PM.

Glenn- I try my best to not take work home with me. I do have my work laptop with me at all times and work emails come straight to my phone as well. The down side to my job is that I work for family, it is the family business so my phone is always on and I am always accountable to family to answer phone calls whether they be about work or personal. My grandfather is under the premise that if you are breathing and awake you should be able to work. Faulty logic to me, maybe because I'm from a lazier generation, or maybe because I think my life is worth more than the few extra dollars that might be made, I'll leave that up to each person to decide. There is just a lot of pressure for me to perform here given that is a family business and I am trying to work my way up and prove my worth.

SCswitch, I am 24 years old. Too young to know what stress is, etc.
    You're not too young. I've been dealing with it since I as 26-27 and I'm 33 now....it took me that long to figure out what "it" is. You have alot going on too with getting married, building, running a family business etc. Alot of it sounds very familiar with me. You've got to learn to control your mind and not let it control you, again easier said that done. Don't overthink things. Chances are your sleep problems aren't sleep problems....your mind is doing it to you. Figure out a way to relax. Seriously, look into the sleep restriction I mentioned. It worked very well for me and makes alot of sense logically. And find some material to read at night that's relaxing.

FWIW, I think that every man alive goes through something similar at some point. Usually they don't know what it is, or won't admit it.

Anxiety just means you care about something. Learn to suppress it and use it to your advantage.

And Kyle you are old....

Quote Originally Posted by murraywader View Post
    Anxiety just means you care about something. Learn to suppress it and use it to your advantage.

And Kyle you are old....
    You aint far behind me richard. I'll remind you of that!

Shit, I don't worry about work when I'm at work, much less when I'm not

Wait, maybe that's why I can sleep 14 hrs....ah fuck it, who cares why.

I literally almost fell asleep reading this...

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll tell you this brother. I wasn't put on this earth just to pay bills. I have good friends who had heart attacks and were hospitalized for anxiety in their thirties due to the pressure society and family put on them to succeed. Bump that noise. I'd live in a camper on 2 acres and drive a 20 yr old truck before I let someone else's idea of what I should do and be kill me.

The future bride and I will add you to our prayer list and I hope you make it a priority to take at least some time during your day to make it about you and you only.
    That is probably one of my greatest fears, the anxiety gets to me too. When I have the extra time to lay in the bed I cant sleep worth a crap. I usually run on about 5 - 6 hours per night.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post

This is perfectly said. The hell with the outside critics.
    there is not a thing wrong with 3 woodies a day!!!

I was faced with the same issue a few years back and it was all related to stress at work. My suggestion would be take a week or two vacation with Zero work involved if you are able and do nothing but relax and enjoy life with family. I feel that we all need this and its apart of living a long healthy life because stress will defiantly kill you.

I used to have a problem sleeping from time to time (usually after heavy stimulant dependant academic load) and when I went through those period I would do a specific regiment that would get me back on my sleep schedule.

I would stay up as late as I possibly could manage and wake up at a normal time, this would cause me to be sleep deprived the next day. The following evening I would do a high intensity workout. Though feeling like a zombie I would stay awake until my normal desired sleep time and once in bed I fell asleep like a champ and woke up the next morning feeling rested. Once I got back into a regimented schedule for a few nights getting in bed and waking up at the exact same time daily it stuck and i was able to fall asleep quite easily. Sleep deprivation and exercise are a good help to get back on a constant sleep schedule which is the key is "good sleep"

Anxiety sucks.

The best things I've found for it are time in the woods, prayer, and shooting guns. But it's always back there. Work is the primary contributor, but it's better now that some changes have been implemented.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen