Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sleep

Restoril is awesome. Took it for nearly 3.5 years, but quit a while ago. I think stress was my main factor. However, I sleep quite well now.

I tried Ambien and Lunesta and neither did anything for me.

Along the lines of warm milk...

In the vitamin shops you can find a powder called "Calm", it comes in a couple of flavors...I like the lemon. I think all it is, is magnesium...regardless, mix that into a cup of hot water and drink it. It's almost strange how it has a calming effect on the body. I had a hard time sleeping a few years ago and this was my go to and it worked for me.

I rotate shifts every 6 weeks from 1st-2nd-3rd( 10 hr shifts) . My sleep schedule is so messed up I don't even know where to begin.. Ive used zzzquil, niquil, ambien, and lunesta with all failed attempts.

I have found something that works is a noise generator. There is an app on my phone called white noise that I downloaded that plays any sound I'd like from a train going by to airplane, or even crickets and a campfire. I was never a believer until I broke down and tried it. I don't sleep without it running now.. Another trick that seemed to work was to take the hottest shower I possible could stand comfortably and then get into bed.

Good luck man, sleep insomnia sucks a big one. Hope you get better!

Herbal Medicine Sleepy Tea, should be in the coffee and tea section of your grocery store but sometimes it is in the organic section.

Their other teas work very well too.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by scdiver; 12-11-2014 at 06:54 AM.

cognitive-behavioral interventions:

CBT is now considered the treatment of choice for chronic insomnia, no single treatment method is effective for all insomnia patients, so behavioral and pharmacological approaches sometimes need to be integrated.

Here are some tips for anyone, including those without serious sleep problems, that is looking for ways to get a good night's sleep:

1.Restrict the amount of time spent in bed as close as possible to the actual sleep time

2.Go to bed only when sleepy, not just fatigue but sleepy

3.If unable to sleep (e.g., within 20 min), get out of bed and go to another room and return to bed only when sleep is imminent

4.Use the bed and bedroom for sleep (and sex) only; no eating, TV watching, radio listening, planning or problem solving in bed

5.Maintain a regular sleep schedule, particularly a strict arising time every morning regardless of the amount of sleep the night before Avoid daytime napping
    Last edited by dhall1693; 12-11-2014 at 07:08 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Indeed, yet I have killed no Jack Miners today, this month, or this season as our boy DHall has. I am more jealous of his awesome pig of a bird than everyone else combined.

First Peter 5:7 "Cast all your care upon God"

Thanks for all the replies and comments.

I do have some kind of sleep/chamomile/herbal tea at home but I have yet to try it.

Gonna try some of these ideas and hope for the best.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

figure out what is your stress-er and get ahead of that shit! I get like this when my constant procrastination catches up with me and the deadline pile up or I over-book myself. Only way for me to break the cycle is get out of bed and get ahead of whatever has my mind racing. And when it's racing it's not just what's looming over my head but thought of any and everything.

When I get my stress/anxiety to a manageable level I sleep like a baby...
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireman View Post
    I rotate shifts every 6 weeks from 1st-2nd-3rd( 10 hr shifts) . My sleep schedule is so messed up I don't even know where to begin.. Ive used zzzquil, niquil, ambien, and lunesta with all failed attempts.

I have found something that works is a noise generator. There is an app on my phone called white noise that I downloaded that plays any sound I'd like from a train going by to airplane, or even crickets and a campfire. I was never a believer until I broke down and tried it. I don't sleep without it running now.. Another trick that seemed to work was to take the hottest shower I possible could stand comfortably and then get into bed.

Good luck man, sleep insomnia sucks a big one. Hope you get better!
    If I don't have a box fan running, I don't sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by fro View Post
    figure out what is your stress-er and get ahead of that shit! I get like this when my constant procrastination catches up with me and the deadline pile up or I over-book myself. Only way for me to break the cycle is get out of bed and get ahead of whatever has my mind racing. And when it's racing it's not just what's looming over my head but thought of any and everything.

When I get my stress/anxiety to a manageable level I sleep like a baby...
    Fro- I think its a culmination of a lot of things that I can't really get ahead of at the moment. Stress at the office, just got engaged, trying to find/fund a house, hell I even stress about not being able to sleep some nights. Some of these things just stay on my mind no matter what I am doing. And most nights, I wouldn't even call it stress, its just on my mind. It's like I can't ever get my mind to be silent and still. Its not stressful to think about them, its just consuming.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Look at your diet. The answer may not lie with adding chemicals but rather with eliminating them.

I go to bed when I'm tired. Normally, around midnight. Put on the CPAP, lay back, and BAM... gone. Used to toss and turn and had terrible sleep quality due to apnea. Severe apnea. Something like 40ish episodes per hour. Now, I sleep like a babe and wake up with 100% more energy.

But that's just me.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Look at your diet. The answer may not lie with adding chemicals but rather with eliminating them.
    Coffee in the am, water the rest of the day, Eggs, nuts, chicken, spinach, peppers, onions, venison, peanut butter, occasional brown rice or wild rice, that has been my week so far.

Good deal.

I'd go with the more sex option.

Seriously though. Don't agonize over it too much. I have more on my plate than I can say grace over right now but when I walk in my house I clock out from all of it. Phone goes on do not disturb and it's me, the fee-on-say, my kid and no one else. Work, gym and the four brazillion "I hate to bother you but I'm gonna bother you anyway..." dog text and calls go unanswered. That's my time.

You working out in the morning or night? I had a problem going to sleep while working out at night. It finally went away but not long afterwards, I started working out in the a.m. & I'm toast by 9 at night now.

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    Coffee in the am, water the rest of the day, Eggs, nuts, chicken, spinach, peppers, onions, venison, peanut butter, occasional brown rice or wild rice, that has been my week so far.
    Oh. And also, like has been said, Make it dark, cool and quiet in there. I shut the vents in the winter time in the bedroom because it gets too dang hot at night with the door shut. Critters go in their room in their crates. No lights, radio, t.v. etc. And ear plugs to drown out any outside the house or street noise if you have any.

Thanks Glenn, I think I do need to work on the relaxing thing more. I also need to put down this nasty habit of dipping. It dawned on me today that I make the conscious effort to eat healthy, work out, avoid excessive alcohol, I do all these things to promote my own health but then I trash my body with nicotine. Your chemical comment really sparked it up well. So its in the trash. Gonna go get some gum to help and ride this thing out. Its time. And yes, more sex is always a good option.

MB- I workout twice a day most days, around lunch is cardio or a quick wod, then after five is weight training and technique.

I know you said no alchohol but a couple beers to mellow the nerves. But then again I hardly sleep any ways I usually run off 4 hours

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    Fro- I think its a culmination of a lot of things that I can't really get ahead of at the moment. Stress at the office, just got engaged, trying to find/fund a house, hell I even stress about not being able to sleep some nights. Some of these things just stay on my mind no matter what I am doing. And most nights, I wouldn't even call it stress, its just on my mind. It's like I can't ever get my mind to be silent and still. Its not stressful to think about them, its just consuming.
    Where to start......I've been struggling with this for years. Tried several sleep meds.....restoril, ambien, lunesta. Yea, they might knock you out but it aint "sleep." As murraywader mentioned, the only med thats ever helped me sleep was/is a benzo such as valium or xanax. Thats some good sleep. However, I hate taking them and only do it when I "have to" which is once a month or so.

I'd bet a dollar to a doughnut that your problem is anxiety. You can't turn your mind off of things that are weighing on you and/or worrying you. I have the same problem. I've tried adjusting my diet, meds, cold/dark/quiet room, etc. None of it works. For me, a dead quiet environment makes my mind race. I like a little steady noise like a box fan. The noise will occupy my mind.

I'll tell you two things that worked for me. 1)Sleep restriction.....the idea is you make yourself stay up later than normal. For me, it meant staying up until 1-2 in the morning. I'd read, watch tv, whatever, until I couldn't keep my eyes open. Then, get in bed. Set you clock for earlier than you normally get up, and make yourself get up. Repeat the same process for several days until you're falling asleep as soon as you hit the pillow. At that point, you can start backing up your bed time by 30 minute increments and extending your wake up time by a little. This worked extremely well for me. For more info just google "sleep restriction."
    2) Lately I've been reading before bed and that helps tremendously. However, it needs to be something calming. I've gone through several religious related books/devotional books. I find that when I do turn the lights off, my mind tends to reflect on reassuring things I've read instead of the stressful things I deal with day to day. If you'd like some ideas of reading material shoot me a pm.

I'll also add, alcohol makes it worse for me. I have to get up in the middle of the night to hit the bathroom and the process starts all over.

SCswitchback-

You and I sound very similar. Blacked out and noiseless environments make my mind more busy