Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Santee Delta West

They turned that place around 3 or 4 years ago. For many years it shot as lights out as Samworth.
    Quote Originally Posted by trentsmith View Post
    Honestly I don't remember why I don't like you but I do remember that I don't like you.

Get out of the blind, take your decoys and a few rolls of fast grass. The birds pile up closer to the ocean, flip your boat and get out in the water or up in the edge of the grass. The birds are probably getting blind shy but you can start there and wait and watch but I wouldn't put out a whole spread because you are going to want to move

I got drawn for Cedar Island two years ago and it was AWESOME.

DONT TAKE EXTRA SHELLS. if you get where you need to be your shot percentage will be really high. Me and my partner were picking and choosing our shots and species. If you get out of the blind and where the birds want to be they will be in your face

Quote Originally Posted by CypressKnee View Post
    If you get out of the blind and where the birds want to be they will be in your face

2x

Hunted the cape last year with my dad and uncle that are not as mobile as they used to be... Let's just say we were lucky to make it to the blind. We shot some ducks but would've limited if we were able to move as they were steady pouring into a pothole across the field. Moral of the story: get on the x.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowcountry Boykin View Post
    Sit back and watch. If the birds are there they will tell u where they want to be. 3 decoys on a jersey string is all u need.
    This
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

you people fall for this truck every year
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

Take the advatage and have fun. Well worth it! Hold out on the big boys.

Lb1 serious question.

Do you consider yourself a duck hunter and know how to duck hunt?

I like to think I've got the basics down. Probably will never rise to the level of duck genius of some of the pontificators on here but I'm still fairly young. In all seriousness, I had just never been to Delta West before and was looking for some insight from people who had been there before. Really didn't know what we were getting into. Had a great hunt and killed some ducks. Had a mojo that we pulled early and was glad we had a jerk string.

Squatty, serious question.

Do you consider yourself a deer hunter and know how to deer hunt?

Glad you shot some birds LB1
    Windows Down!

No I dont. I just kill deer. I actually don't like deer too much but I like eating them.

Quote Originally Posted by LB1 View Post
    I like to think I've got the basics down. Probably will never rise to the level of duck genius of some of the pontificators on here but I'm still fairly young. In all seriousness, I had just never been to Delta West before and was looking for some insight from people who had been there before. Really didn't know what we were getting into. Had a great hunt and killed some ducks. Had a mojo that we pulled early and was glad we had a jerk string.
    Good reason.

You should have been able to figure it all out on your own b/c nobody gave you any insight that was going to change the outcome of your hunt. Glad you had success.

Quote Originally Posted by squatty View Post
    No I dont. I just kill deer. I actually don't like deer too much but I like eating them.
    Just making sure
    Windows Down!

I mean it ain't rocket science (kinda like hunting ducks inside the dikes )
    Last edited by GobblerHntr; 12-07-2014 at 02:41 PM.

Soooo..... Wadjewcatch?
    867-5309

We ended up with a couple of mallards, some shovelers, ringnecks, a bluebill, and a gadwall. We were not where the mallards wanted to be and had another group that consistently shot at our swing birds which was a little bit frustrating. Was sort of surprised at how close they were to us. Had a few black ducks land just out of range which was cool to see. The group at the end of the canal killed a pintail hen and a redhead. It was a great morning. Thanks to the DNR guys that put it on.

I had a great hunt there a few years back, before they had an issue with some habitat loss that has since been corrected. The pre-dawn key was to find the spot in the hole that had the most floating feathers from birds preening, etc... we set up there, used a small spread with a jerk string, and killed a mix of gadwall, teal, one ringer, one black duck. The mallards flew late, after 11:00, so we missed out on them. Never seen greenwing teal like we saw in there.

The end of the canal is typically where it opens up and you do get more pintail activity.

As Griffin said, it's seriously hot/cold. I'm going to spread out my options in the future. We hunted Murphy last year and I don't think my old ass has ever been as tired after a hunt.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

LB1, I was one of the guys in the group at the end of the canal with the red lab. We ended up with 6 mallards, 1 redhead, 1 pintail hen, 1 ringneck and 3 spoonies. The spoonies were thick and constantly in the decoys. The mallards worked okay but didn't finish well. We should have had our full limit of mallards but my partner was off bad on his shooting. My dog had a blast and wore his butt out. Great hunt for anywhere but excellent for SC. The guys at the Coastal Reserve Units work hard and do a good job. Don't be afraid to ask them what's on the units you are hunting, they know.

What's all the hype about shooting a pintail? I want to go there for mallards!
    867-5309