Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Santee Delta West

Default Santee Delta West

We are hunting there Saturday. Neither of us has ever been. Any tips from those who have been? Thanks in advance.

Don't try to sneak in extra shells.
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

Last edited by UpSouth811; 12-04-2014 at 08:40 PM.

Sit back and watch. If the birds are there they will tell u where they want to be. 3 decoys on a jersey string is all u need.

Jerk string would definitely be helpful. It's been a while since I've been there but I'd imagine a marsh stool might be nice so you can be flexible where you want to hunt and allow you to comfortably hunt all morning.
    I'll be there Jan 10th, can't wait!

That doesn't even count as duck hunting. The refuge system in sc is fucked.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowcountry Boykin View Post
    Sit back and watch. If the birds are there they will tell u where they want to be. 3 decoys on a jersey string is all u need.
    That's good advice. I'm a fan of 2 or 3 on a jersey string and another 2 or 3 stationary and that's it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cutm jack View Post
    That doesn't even count as duck hunting. The refuge system in sc is fucked.
    I feel like arguing with you is futile, but dang if I'm not going to bite.

First the man asked for advice on hunting a location I know you've never hunted (legally at least) if you truly just moved from the West coast. If you can't help him there's no need to interject. I've made my fair share of smart mouth comments on here, so maybe this ia a pot/kettle issue but the last thing we need is another transplant telling us what we do isn't right or good enough. For the record our system does suck, but we don't need you telling us that in this thread.

Second I think behind the facade of this message board you're probably a decent guy who, judging from your posts, knows what he's doing and hunts right. That said, what right do you have to even imply it "doesn't count" hunting Santee West. SW just happens to be one of the top three public duck hunting locations south of the Outer Banks and north of Lake O. Until you've been in there, I will say you are entitled to your opinion, but it's invalid. Relative to the Midwest it's not much, but for the Atlantic Flyway its about as good as it gets.

I'm almost done. To the OP, have a blast! You'll see birds, you will have an opportunity to work them too, and you will be hunting a piece of land with more history than you may ever know. Less is more there. I know many a folk have killed limits over 3-6 old cork black duck decoys. It's not hard if the birds are there. Enjoy it! Hunting the Delta will never be the same again

That was my first draw hunt. As posted above, let the birds tell you where to go and enjoy it!!

There's a difference between a WMA and refuge.

Oh, and, whatever your do, don't be late.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Quote Originally Posted by squatty View Post
    Don't try to sneak in extra shells.
    Bullshit. If it's windy you will need them. Hide the extras in the front pocket of your breathables. They figure that no one who is competent enough to complete the application is dumb enough to put them there. That would be like putting poison on an arrow. They will never check.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Quote Originally Posted by surfcock View Post
    Second I think behind the facade of this message board you're probably a decent guy who, judging from your posts, knows what he's doing and hunts right. That said, what right do you have to even imply it "doesn't count" hunting Santee West. SW just happens to be one of the top three public duck hunting locations south of the Outer Banks and north of Lake O. Until you've been in there, I will say you are entitled to your opinion, but it's invalid. Relative to the Midwest it's not much, but for the Atlantic Flyway its about as good as it gets.
    I'll bite too. 3rd best location south of the outterbanks? are you fucking high? How much hunting have you even done south of the outter banks?
    Have you even hunted delta west? Delta west isn't even the third best draw hunt in SC based on the stats published by DNR. Come on man I am all for picking on cut um but get your shit together.
    Not to mention as much of an idiot as you may think he is I'd bet the farm he has killed double the amount of ducks that you have this season in SC and at a minimum he is not dumb enough to think that delta west is the 3rd best.
    Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    Bullshit. If it's windy you will need them. Hide the extras in the front pocket of your breathables. They figure that no one who is competent enough to complete the application is dumb enough to put them there. That would be like putting poison on an arrow. They will never check.
    yea but make sure you hide them in breathables. the cloth hides them better!

For the OP. You're fucked man. I could be wrong but I hunted the cape and hunt with a friend that leases the land adjacent to delta west. The opener they killed a 6 gun limit. The second Saturday they killed 5. There are not many birds in the area and there isn't any weather to move birds into the area. Best bet is always to ask the DNR fokes what the site is holding. Delta west is truly a feast or famine place and when it has birds it's magical but if I had to guess I'd say your timing is off. You can call the guys up there and talk to them about it ahead of time. Number is on the DNR site.
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Bunch of pintails in there now.

By far the best draw hunt we've been on. Was last there 2 years ago. We hunted the woods down the road (carried there by truck) and killed a 3 man limit of Mallards, Black Ducks, and Pintails. We saw a lot of ducks and were done when the GW came by at 9:00.
    Professor
    Carolina American Water Spaniels

UH HR GCH CH Carolina's Wild March Hare MH JHR RAE OA OAJ AF WDS CGC TDI (Bunny)
    UH HRCH Carolina's Duck Gumbo MHA SHR RN WDS CGC TDI (Gumbo) HRC 1500 Point Club (RIP)
    BISS HR GCH Carolina's Running With the Hare JHR SH WDX CGC TDI (Blew)
    HRCH GCH CH Carolina's Tale of the Hare SH MHR WDX (Bea)
    Carolina's Three Duck Limit (Rio)

Let them work.
    80-20 Genaration

If you have a dog , take a stand.
    Windows Down!

Griffin, check your PM. I don't want to mess up this man's thread any more. I already did enough of that.
    Last edited by surfcock; 12-05-2014 at 08:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckman#1 View Post
    Let them work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowcountry Boykin View Post
    Boom!

Quote Originally Posted by Professor View Post
    By far the best draw hunt we've been on. Was last there 2 years ago. We hunted the woods down the road (carried there by truck) and killed a 3 man limit of Mallards, Black Ducks, and Pintails. We saw a lot of ducks and were done when the GW came by at 9:00.
    Professor
    feast of famine part. I bet it has the most "quality" ducks killed and the most unsuccessful hunts of any draw area and I personally am not willing to risk a once every 3 year hunt on that
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Take a bow and some pods for maximum effect.

Speaking of that JAB, I need to get around to sticking a hog or ten there.