Thread: What's it worth?

Default What's it worth?

My BIL has a motor that he bought while living in GA, that he does not have a title for. If he sells it to someone in a non-titling state, that shouldn't be an issue, correct? He was asking me what I thought he could get for it. I have no clue. It's a 1994 Johnson 30, long shaft, tiller handle. Has electric and pull start, as well as electric trim. If one of you outboard gurus could throw some ballpark numbers at me, I would greatly appreciate it.
    "Some high society lady says is your horse outside, no ma'am he's between my legs, but you're too fat to ride" Hank Jr

BigBallin is offline prognosticator of prognosticators

If it looks good and runs good about 800
    You can grow up to be just like me....

if it looks and runs great about 1000

Thanks BB. It looks good, and runs good. I won't say great because it hasn't been in the water in a while, but he puts the clamps on it and runs it at least once a month. Probably wouldn't hurt to have it serviced. I told him I would figure at around $800.
    "Some high society lady says is your horse outside, no ma'am he's between my legs, but you're too fat to ride" Hank Jr

The right buyer Im sure would go 12 or so if that's exactly what he wants but to move it Id prolly price it a 100o and let em talk me down a hundred or so.

Thanks again

It's 20 years old, no title, no posted history of use/service, and "runs good."

I wouldn't pay much more than 500.

You can buy a brand new 25hp motor for 3800.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

BIL bought it from a guy that needed some cash 4-5 years ago. Always been in fresh water. He was living in GA at the time so no need to register or title the motor. Now he is back in SC and can't use it here bc he has no paperwork on the motor. It fires every time on the push of the button or pull of the string. Never had any mechanical issues while he has owned it. I don't care how much or how little he gets for it, because I have no stake in it, just asking here, since he asked me. (Not sure why though. I've never owned a boat with an outboard.)

If you cant get a title for it, it is worthless in my opinion. If you can, I am like bog around 500 tops.

What's needed for that? Just a bill of sale from the previous owner in the non-titling state?

Quote Originally Posted by billbuster84 View Post
    My BIL has a motor that he bought while living in GA, that he does not have a title for. If he sells it to someone in a non-titling state, that shouldn't be an issue, correct?
    My pricing assumed it was being sold in Ga.

Quote Originally Posted by billbuster84 View Post
    What's needed for that? Just a bill of sale from the previous owner in the non-titling state?
    Wish I could help you there but never been down that road

That's what he was shooting for. To not have to worry about the paper trail.

The "no title" part deters most people no matter what it is. I have seen people want titles for trailers because they might use it out of state