Thread: Late-morning flight

Default Late-morning flight

Do yall ever notice an increase in ducks flying later in the morning around 10-11ish? Ive been watching a couple groups the last couple of days do this and I'm thinking they're heading to new places to feed/rest. Does anybody have some insight on this? Probably a dumb question but I've grown up hunting wood duck swamps at early light and havent done much else. Just curious as to why they fly at that time.

Weirder things will happen in a few days

^^^^this

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Exactly where are you seeing this, and I might can pinpoint an answer.

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

I've been duck hunting since I was 12 years old, 48 years. All my life we stayed in the blind and waited for what the old timers that I knew called the "10 o'clock flight". It usually happens somewhere between 9 and 11. If conditions were right it was "almost" a sure thing. Although nothing is ever a sure thing in hunting.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Quote Originally Posted by quackhead1 View Post
    Exactly where are you seeing this, and I might can pinpoint an answer.
    The upstate.

Mergie, thanks for your response. Now that you say that I do remember my uncle talking about hunting late in the morning as well

Where at in the upstate? Come on man...be specific.

Quote Originally Posted by fowlshot View Post
    The upstate.

Mergie, thanks for your response. Now that you say that I do remember my uncle talking about hunting late in the morning as well
    There aren't any ducks in the upstate, you must be losing it bro.

the wind usually picks up about that time in the morning. also, more boats moving around.
    Last edited by YoungBuckTX; 12-04-2014 at 08:25 AM.

Absolutely not. No ducks fly after 8:30. Pack it up and head to the landing.

Tis true. But as the OMFIC I try to have everybody out at 9.
    Private Land Rubberhead # 1

Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    I've been duck hunting since I was 12 years old, 48 years. All my life we stayed in the blind and waited for what the old timers that I knew called the "10 o'clock flight". It usually happens somewhere between 9 and 11. If conditions were right it was "almost" a sure thing. Although nothing is ever a sure thing in hunting.
    Funny you say that. Thats the same thing we go by. Gives the birds time to get nice and full in the fields and then head to us in the woods to rest. Seems like they are full of rice when the dog brings them in.

I'm with Trev...McDonald's stops serving breakfast at 10:30. Don't listen to the old timers...they just want you to be late so they don't have to wait in line for breakfast!
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn