Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Trapping 2014/15

Quote Originally Posted by bcastin View Post
    1. 3 different sites. Reset two yesterday and one today. 1 from yesterday had a grey in it this afternoon (late check i know...)
    2. I usually reset the same set and move the trap a few inches left or right. Rebait and sometimes I'll dig a deeper hole to make them work it harder.
    3. One of the places I'm bout 99% sure it's a yote. The other two I'm thinking fox but that's only cause the landowner says he's only gotten pics of greys and bobcats.
    4. Both places I'm trapping now are mainly woods so except for my dirt hole there's not much too dirt see tracks.

I reset the one I'm sure is a yote this afternoon and changed the placement and presentation by making a trench set. Since he dug it out from behind and dug up the trap I put another 550 on the backside offset about 4" and back about 10-12". Moved some dirt clods and tufts of grass to the other side to try and force him to work the trap side if he does come from behind again. I crushed up pieces of leaves and dead grass to blend it in.

I clean and rust then dye and wax so I'm fairly sure I'm good on scent. Plus I've had dig ups this year and reset the same trap and spot and caught the following morning. I did get a trappers cap for the 550 recently and just used it today. I think I got them bedded pretty good. Might end up using that thing for a while.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What is a trappers cap ?

Quote Originally Posted by bcastin View Post
    1. 3 different sites. Reset two yesterday and one today. 1 from yesterday had a grey in it this afternoon (late check i know...)
    2. I usually reset the same set and move the trap a few inches left or right. Rebait and sometimes I'll dig a deeper hole to make them work it harder.
    3. One of the places I'm bout 99% sure it's a yote. The other two I'm thinking fox but that's only cause the landowner says he's only gotten pics of greys and bobcats.
    4. Both places I'm trapping now are mainly woods so except for my dirt hole there's not much too dirt see tracks.

I reset the one I'm sure is a yote this afternoon and changed the placement and presentation by making a trench set. Since he dug it out from behind and dug up the trap I put another 550 on the backside offset about 4" and back about 10-12". Moved some dirt clods and tufts of grass to the other side to try and force him to work the trap side if he does come from behind again. I crushed up pieces of leaves and dead grass to blend it in.

I clean and rust then dye and wax so I'm fairly sure I'm good on scent. Plus I've had dig ups this year and reset the same trap and spot and caught the following morning. I did get a trappers cap for the 550 recently and just used it today. I think I got them bedded pretty good. Might end up using that thing for a while.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Too much backing for a yote is worst than not enough. Cut your bait and lure down, too much scent and they will roll on the set, especially this time of year.

Make sure you check that double set in the mornings, a back foot catch will dig out in a very short time.
    Try a flat set next to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

Trappers cap covers the pan and keeps u from tripping it while packing the dirt. Kinda neat little tool actually. And I know about checking them every 24hrs but I like to check in the mornings.
    Put some new sets out today used less bait and did half flat sets and half dirt holes. Used gland at one flat set and some violator 7 and fox piss at the other. Dirt holes were federales or powder river paste. And a dab of fox or coyote gland. Location is cotton or peanut fields and used clumps of grass as backings. Also I didn't use any guide sticks and made sure they were bedded solid as a rock. No wobble whatsoever.