Thread: 300 Yamaha question

Default 300 Yamaha question

Top end of my boat is 56 and I usually cruise around 33.

I was running about 50 yesterday for about 7-8 minutes in about 15 feet of water. The boat lurched (slowed down for a second) and I immediately put it in neutral. Checked the gauges and the oil pressure dropped to zero and then moved to around 25% on the gauge. Left it idling, checked the prop, checked the oil, etc. Nothing looked out of the norm. It didn't feel/hear like I hit anything and didn't see any debris in the water. RPMs didn't spin up.

Gave it a little gas and the oil gauge returned to the 1/2 way mark where it usually is. No other issues throughout the day. I have those digital gauges. No alarm sounded, temperature was normal.

Any ideas?

Serviceman will be here this week to hook it up to the computer. Just wondering if any of you have seen this and what it may be. I just had my 20 hour service two weeks ago.

We didn't catch any fish, just this mess:
    Last edited by Geetch; 12-01-2014 at 02:14 PM.

Check your fuel filter. Mine is finicky about fuel, I can tell by the throttle when the filter has crap in it. F300 is also set up to run 93 for best results.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Water in fuel. First time you ran it in a while?
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

It sat for about three weeks. I'll check the fuel filter.

Side question: what is the best way to seal the hatches to keep water out, the gaskets I put in suck and rain water is a PITA down here. Most concerned about keeping it out of the battery box.

They all suck. If a lid isn't designed with deep gutter that a gasket fit around and land squarely around the lid it's gonna leak. Some just worse than others. See where you have that drip gutter in the top of that pic? That is designed to let water run around the opening and out the slot. But see where the lid goes all the way to the bottom in that gutter? That keeps the water from flowing out so it piles up and over the lid and inner gutter. Just have to play with different gaskets till you find one that works.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

You using any Yamalube fuel additive?

The computer should tell what happened.

Your problem is you don't have your 300 on a bass boat. Changing boats would solve problems you didn't even know you had.

Where or how in the hell do you get water in the battery box on a boat like that? Is it a center console? Is battery sitting out exposed?
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

Bay boat. Battery is in back hatch. seal sucks.

Had this happen before. You probably have a pin hole in your fuel lines.