Thread: Marlin Makeover

Default Marlin Makeover

My FIL passed away last year and even though he wasn't much into guns, my wife brought home a couple of .22 rifles. Having spent their lives in the Florida humidity, none were in very good shape. Decided to take the Marlin 39A and restore it as best I could. As a fellow craftsman, I think he would have been pleased...

Marlin 1 Cropped.jpg

Marlin 2 Cropped.jpg

Marlin 3.jpg

Marlin 4.jpg

Marlin 5 Cropped.jpg

While I have seen Duck Cutter's truck at the Greenville Cabela's, I don't think I've met him in person. After seeing this, maybe he'll let me tag along on a squirrel hunt as it's only been 40+ years since I've been...
    Last edited by Gunning Bird; 12-30-2021 at 07:47 AM.

Very nice. Looks great. Those are accurate little rifles. I have one that I got for my 12th birthday. I have a BLR Grade 2 that I really enjoy too. Lever 22s are damn fun. My girls grew up shooting them and learned basic marksmanship with those guns. Go burn some ammo!!
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Good job. I really enjoy seeing people restore items with sentimental value.

Thats awesome! Well done.

Every once in a while I see a BLR for sale that was sent to Doug Turnbull for his case hardening treatment... I gots a bad case of the wants for one of them..

Spent many hours with my 22s shooting cans and necco wafers. This thread has reminded me I need to get back to doing more of it. Thanks GB.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

My grandfather gave me his when I was 10 and there’s no telling how many thousand rounds I’ve put through that thing, can’t wait until I can let my two girls start shooting it. I’ll second nitro on the accuracy of em’, I could pop the top off of a water bottle at 50 yards 9 times out of 10 with those iron sights.
    "some men are mere hunters, others are turkey hunters"-Archibald Rutledge

Looks great, I’ve always heard that a Marlin 39 was the best lever .22 ever made but I’ve never had the chance to shoot one. Shoot me a pm and you’re welcome to hunt with me anytime
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Quote Originally Posted by ecwooduck View Post
    My grandfather gave me his when I was 10 and there’s no telling how many thousand rounds I’ve put through that thing, can’t wait until I can let my two girls start shooting it. I’ll second nitro on the accuracy of em’, I could pop the top off of a water bottle at 50 yards 9 times out of 10 with those iron sights.
    They are fine rifles. I have no idea how many rounds is through mine, but it is a lot. Of course, most of them were 75 cent a box WW Super X. Can't afford to shoot like that anymore. My 22 rimfire ammo will end up being barter fodder someday.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

My favorite lever 22. Mine is a 1956 model that was my granddads. No telling how many rounds have been put through it but if I had a penny for each one I could probably retire in style
    Reloaders love a good piece of brass<br />Not only did Samuel colt make all men equal.....He also made it easier for me to sleep well at <br />night

Fine job!

Looks like a fun gun to shoot!

Fine work there, GB. I have my old Ithaca M51 single shot lever .22 that I got when I was eight that I need to get back to work on. I hope it turns out half as nice as your 39A did.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

That looks great, and a takedown model too. Sweet rifle.

That’s very cool. Nice work.

Real nice work on the bluing.. Don't think I have seen anyone do a better job with brush/ wipe on.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Thanks. It was an interesting learning curve, one I'm not sure I'm finished with quite yet. I used both liquid and cream bluing agents from Brownell's. Experimented with the cocking lever and it turned out great which gave me enough confidence to tackle the barrel and feed tube. The barrel has a couple of spots that aren't quite perfect so I'm attempting to quiet my OCD tendencies and leave it alone. Not sure if I cleaned up/sanded/polished those areas too much or what. It definitely looks 100X better than when I got it.

My FIL was not only the most prolific model train & plane builder but also the best I've ever seen. I wanted to do him proud and thought about him often during the process.

My Grandmother gave me my late Grandfathers Marlin Golden 39A this Thanksgiving. I remember shooting it a lot with him walking to the dog lot. I would like to get the butt and stock redone as the butt is starting to crack in a few places. Anybody know where I could get a new butt and stock? TIA

Numrich/Gun Parts Corp has some in stock: https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/406240A

Depending on how bad things are, you may consider an epoxy repair and refinish. Not hard to do at all.