Thread: Sled Pulls

Default Sled Pulls

Wow! Just added these into my regimen (twice last week)

50 yard sprint pulls with two plates x8 (rest as needed) will kick your ass and lungs.

On the plus side, I came in this week and added 20 lbs to my one rep squat, I think this was a culmination of mental and physical progress.

And after a mile run today, I was able to sprint a full two tenths of a mile before stopping.

Sled pulls, if you aren't doing them, you are missing out.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    Wow! Just added these into my regimen (twice last week)

50 yard sprint pulls with two plates x8 (rest as needed) will kick your ass and lungs.

On the plus side, I came in this week and added 20 lbs to my one rep squat, I think this was a culmination of mental and physical progress.

And after a mile run today, I was able to sprint a full two tenths of a mile before stopping.

Sled pulls, if you aren't doing them, you are missing out.
    One of my favorite workouts, that I can't get anyone else to do with me, is 10 rounds of
    1 25 m sled sprint @235#'s
    1 25 m sprint
    1 25 m sled pull @235#'s - this is attaching a rope to the sled and actually pulling it back to you. Not pulling with the shoulder straps

I try to maintain one round every two minutes for 10 rounds. It is an absolute ass kicker

Sleds are awesome in general for anaerobic work.
    Last edited by SCcdp; 11-11-2014 at 02:23 PM.

SCcdp, I want no part of that workout. I don't think I'm on that level yet, haha.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

SCcdp, I want no part of that workout. I don't think I'm on that level yet, haha.
    Cut the weight or cut the reps. You can illicit the same physical response as long as intensity is maintained!

Personally I think that sleds are underutilized in a lot of programs. They're a helluva lot easier on your muscles since it's basically no concentric movement.

Quote Originally Posted by SCcdp View Post
    Cut the weight or cut the reps. You can illicit the same physical response as long as intensity is maintained!

Personally I think that sleds are underutilized in a lot of programs. They're a helluva lot easier on your muscles since it's basically no concentric movement.
    They'll definitely be in my regimen from now on. They are a great curveball at the end of the week or when I don't feel like running long distance. I think they will also do a lot for explosive speed on the bar with oly lifts.

We're in the process of making some bootleg versions! Pics to come.

They really do help with explosive power!
    The right to bear arms is the last form of defense against tyranny.

They'll definitely be in my regimen from now on. They are a great curveball at the end of the week or when I don't feel like running long distance. I think they will also do a lot for explosive speed on the bar with oly lifts.
    Piss on long distances. That crap isn't helping anyone unless you're training for a damn marathon and even then I think you can get all the aerobic capacity that you need doing explosive anaerobic work. Granted you can't really simulate what 26 miles will do to your feet or knees and you probably won't win the Boston doing strictly anaerobic, but you can damn sure finish one only training that way.

Distance runners decrease their mile times by running sprints of varying lengths and the explosive power developed from sprint style workouts carries over into everything.

Quote Originally Posted by SCcdp View Post
    Piss on long distances. That crap isn't helping anyone unless you're training for a damn marathon and even then I think you can get all the aerobic capacity that you need doing explosive anaerobic work. Granted you can't really simulate what 26 miles will do to your feet or knees and you probably won't win the Boston doing strictly anaerobic, but you can damn sure finish one only training that way.

Distance runners decrease their mile times by running sprints of varying lengths and the explosive power developed from sprint style workouts carries over into everything.
    Oh when I say distance, I mean anything from 1-5 miles tops. Piss on a marathon, I don't see where I would need to run that far at any given point in my life. Some days, and I repeat 'some' days, I do enjoy long distance running to clear my head. As far as health and purpose goes, sprints and explosive movements and heavy weights are my staples.
    Last edited by MolliesMaster; 11-11-2014 at 03:28 PM.

I did some sled drills this week after seeing this thread and agree...its good stuff and will be working them in more in the future. However, just because the average crossfitter can't run long distances doesn't in any way mean that being able to lift a Volkswagen is more beneficial to your health than being capable of running a marathon.
    Last edited by Stripa Swipa; 11-13-2014 at 07:56 PM.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

Quote Originally Posted by Stripa Swipa View Post
    I did some sled drills this week after seeing this thread and agree...its good stuff and will be working them in more in the future. However, just because the average crossfitter can't run long distances doesn't in any way mean that being able to lift a Volkswagen is more beneficial to your health than being capable of running a marathon.
    No doubt. I know this has been argued ad naseum. The point i was making is that running miles isn't the only way to effectively increase aerobic capacity. Glad you found the sleds beneficial!