Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Non GMO gardening, making the leap.

You can look up Three Sisters Gardening, basically with corn, peas and a squash, you can minimize work based on NDN planting techniques. First plant the corn, let it grow, the pole beans, then the squash. At the proper time intervals of planting, you have the corn act as runners for the beans and the squash act as ground cover to reduce weeding needs. They also complement each other on nutritional needs. There are other resources about which plants to plant together in a garden and which not to plant together, I'll try to dig that up later today for you (when I can move around and get to comouter that has the bookmarks), some of it is based on adding common herbs to the garden for natural bug repellent, etc. The herbs can be cut and dried for cooking use as well, so they're multifunctional. Clemson University has a wealth of information on their website about gardening, the times to plant each type of vegetable, etc, you can pretty mmuch run a garden year round with their schedule.
    www.cedarswampretrievers.com
    Labrador Retriever Puppies and Retriever Training
    Standing at stud:
    Cedar Swamp's Born to Boogie QAA (yellow)
    Young's Trump Card at Cedar Swamp QAA (black carries chocolate)
    Some of the "ladies":
    Cedar Swamp's Linden JH
    Cedar Swamp's Holy Terror SH

the internet has made a LOT of paranoid schizophrenics....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    Isn't it Morgellon's that's considered to be a socially transmitted disease spread over the internet?
    Rule #2: Double tap

The truth is a lie that will get you killed.

Duncraft Pro-Staff

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    2th, you have to look at all of the inter-related factors.

In this case, I'd posit that it's the magnetic fields of our PC's/smart phones interacting with the built-up residue of lifetimes of fluoride in our drinking water, tooth paste, and Christmas candies!!!!
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Quote Originally Posted by Southernduck View Post
    IF you get enough heat to kill the bacteria.
    Should be okay, there.

How about if I make my boys hoe the garden, help pick it, and help can/freeze the veggies and fruit? Is it safe for them to eat after all of their hard work?

I plan to pay them in meals.

Would a load to the acre of turkey litter spread in the dove field make the doves inedible next season?

Quote Originally Posted by Slaya View Post
    Should be okay, there.

How about if I make my boys hoe the garden, help pick it, and help can/freeze the veggies and fruit? Is it safe for them to eat after all of their hard work?

I plan to pay them in meals.

Would a load to the acre of turkey litter spread in the dove field make the doves inedible next season?
    This issue is a lot of shit harbors bacteria (ecoli, salmonella, etc) which contaminates your veggies when they lay on the ground (squash, cukes, melons, etc) which then are improperly handled and consumed and results in illness. Post harvest handling is really the greatest problem in veggie production. The big guys take such great care in post harvest handling that they greatly reduce the exposure.

Cedarswamp, good thoughts but remember the soil is not an endless bank I nutrients, it is possible to mine nutrients from your soil with various crops but at some point you need to replace nutrients. Also a lot of P in our soils is bound up and not available for uptake by the plant.
    cut\'em

Another very productive option as to the type of garden you can choose from is hydroponics. A hydroponic garden, once established, has very little maintenance, uses very little water and nutrients when compared to a traditional soil garden, and will produce like crazy. I am sure there are some limitations as to what vegetables you can produce using a hydroponic garden, but your standard squash, cucumber, tomato, greens/lettuce, peppers will produce well, or at least they have for me. Just another option for anyone getting in to gardening.
    I have 2 guns, one for each of you

dont forget HERBs
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

rareseeds.com