Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Non GMO gardening, making the leap.

Anyone else shocked that woodie wears a tinfoil hat with regard to vegetables?
    Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    Dexter GETS IT!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII
    :ACC: :ACC: :ACC:

Quote Originally Posted by cudexter View Post

I almost inhaled a wad of Copenhagen.
    Rule #2: Double tap

The truth is a lie that will get you killed.

Duncraft Pro-Staff

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Quote Originally Posted by possum88 View Post
    The problem with gmo's is there is very little testing done so I can see the fear and I stay away from them. if you look up a man named Dr max gerson and what he did is amazing. He went with food is our medicine and with this he was curing diseases, even cancer. He used organic veg and orangic veg have more healing power than conventional veg. just look him up. its worth the time.
    Possum,
    Not giving you crap cause I'm about as old fashioned in my thinking as it gets. And I don't trust large conglomerates and corporations any more than the next guy. Nor do I trust the FDA, they are a bunch of government bureaucrats and some will take a pay-off like a street thug. I know this from personal dealing with them at Warner-Lambert.

That said, anytime I hear someone say they can cure any disease with diet or some magic elixir they've concocted in their basement I immediately think of the old traveling Snake Oil salesmen, aka Con-men.

Quite a few of the top oncologist said Steve Jobs would have lived another 2 or more years with the slow type of pancreatic cancer he had if he had taken modern treatments. Instead he tried to cure it with a diet that he heard about.

Deer eat a natural vegetable diet, they die of all kinds of diseases. If a natural diet would cure everything my great-grandparents (NDN) would still be alive. We all die from something. Disease and dying is a part of life, if it weren't we would be so crowded we wouldn't have anything to eat or drink by now.

I think the problem nowadays is our society's fear of death. Too many people spend so much time trying to avoid dying they don't enjoy living.

Funny the older you get the more you accept it. I'm 61, knowing the history of the men in my family, on my dad's side, if I get 15 more years I'll win the competition. And if I don't win that's ok too. I don't worry about it. It is what it is. I'm going to try my damndest to enjoy those years to the fullest. Hopefully by killing a lot critters. And eating lots of bloody (rare) meat!
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

No. It just mystifies me that people are sure that farmers are trying to kill them so that they(farmers) can make more money, and do it easier. And that the same government that won't let you take a pocket knife into a court house or on an airplane is killing us by adding fish DNA to their corn.

I know that this is bullshit, according to woodie, but this is interesting.
    http://news.ucdavis.edu/search/news_...lasso?id=11038

And here's some more bullshit.
    http://www.geneticliteracyproject.or...rops-are-safe/
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

And here's a link to a whole lot more bullshit. Have fun reading woodie.

http://www.researchgate.net/post/GMO...s_their_safety
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

dexter, please pull your head out of your ass long enough to show me where you find me stating any such 'tinfoil' concerns regarding vegetables.

Do you always need to make stuff up in order to fluff your panties in front of the crowd?

KMA...

Quote Originally Posted by quackaddict View Post
    I know that this is bullshit, according to woodie, but this is interesting.
    http://news.ucdavis.edu/search/news_...lasso?id=11038

And here's some more bullshit.
    http://www.geneticliteracyproject.or...rops-are-safe/
    Quote Originally Posted by quackaddict View Post
    And here's a link to a whole lot more bullshit. Have fun reading woodie.

http://www.researchgate.net/post/GMO...s_their_safety
    Thanks for the links, quack. I've asked about this stuff before and nobody ever provided it, and I guess my own searches didn't go far enough. At first skim they look pretty interesting. Will spend more time on it tomorrow or as soon as I can, but it appears that I stand corrected and withdraw my challenge to your safety statement.

As I said above, and cudexter is apparently incapable of understanding what the words mean (maybe because he's too busy dreaming about his pet goat), but, "I do not have a blanket bias against GMO products. I just take an inherent skeptical stance until proven otherwise.". I do believe it's a case by case type of issue...

I don't know why that personal position is so upsetting to you guys, but so be it.

Thanks.
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 12-03-2014 at 09:31 PM.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Is there any topic Mergie can't speak on ad nauseam and relate it back to some estranged Uncle's cousin?
    Last edited by ProvidenceSwamper; 12-03-2014 at 10:46 PM.

Sorry I am late to the party but I think QA handled the education for today's session.

MM I still want to see what GMO veggies you have found? BTW (and this may offend some on here) the produce coming off of a large vegetable farm is more likely to be cleaner and safer than that coming off of a small local farm. I say this because I am aware of the safety procedures implemented on these large farms and they are required by contract. Check out GAP if you want some insight, the big guys have been on the program for years, the small guys are heading that direction because fewer and fewer buyers will buy from someone not GAP certified.
    cut\'em

Quote Originally Posted by Southernduck View Post
    BTW (and this may offend some on here) the produce coming off of a large vegetable farm is more likely to be cleaner and safer than that coming off of a small local farm. I say this because I am aware of the safety procedures implemented on these large farms and they are required by contract.
    *gasp* The hell you say?

So, are my veggies grown in sand supplemented by composted leaves and horse crap from Trucheck seed at the store down the road better or worse than what I get at the Grocery Store? I do use Sevin and fertilizer/soda as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    dexter, please pull your head out of your ass long enough to show me where you find me stating any such 'tinfoil' concerns regarding vegetables.

Do you always need to make stuff up in order to fluff your panties in front of the crowd?

KMA...

easy there, Mergie Light.
    Dexter GETS IT!

easy there, Mergie Light.
    I'll assume that's not a threat. If it is, please let me know.

Other than that, you decide if you want to play the 'poke and jab' game or not.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Dexter's a bully.
    Rule #2: Double tap

The truth is a lie that will get you killed.

Duncraft Pro-Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Slaya View Post
    So, are my veggies grown in sand supplemented by composted leaves and horse crap from Trucheck seed at the store down the road better or worse than what I get at the Grocery Store? I do use Sevin and fertilizer/soda as needed.
    Horse shit, human shit, they are both shit. It is not a recommended practice to use manure in veggie production.
    cut\'em

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    I'll assume that's not a threat. If it is, please let me know.

Other than that, you decide if you want to play the 'poke and jab' game or not.

yes, I'm threatening you over vegetables. i take this very seriously.

Last edited by cudexter; 12-04-2014 at 09:13 PM.
    Dexter GETS IT!

Quote Originally Posted by Southernduck View Post
    Horse shit, human shit, they are both shit. It is not a recommended practice to use manure in veggie production.
    Even after composting? A handful of rabbit pellets under a mater bush is magical.

Quote Originally Posted by Slaya View Post
    Even after composting? A handful of rabbit pellets under a mater bush is magical.
    IF you get enough heat to kill the bacteria.
    cut\'em

Since we are all here and the topic is gardening, or was, I am about to procure some blueberry roots. I want to start the bushes in five gallon buckets until I can get out of my rental and purchase a house, within the next year. Is this feasible? If so, what kind of soil/fertilizer do I need to get these plants started and thriving.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Just put them in some potting soil until then. They'll be fine.

Blueberries like low pH, like 5.2 kinda low. A mixture of pine bark and soil should do well. Give them about a gallon of H2O every two days. Feed them a little 10-10-10 every other month. Well drained soil is key
    cut\'em