Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Non GMO gardening, making the leap.

4% of US potato production was GMO potatoes, it appears as though next year that figure will be >1% because the largest users of potatoes have decided not to buy them due to consumer concerns. That is fine if the consumer says they don't want them, you just hope and pray the consumer is making an educated decision.
    cut\'em

The problem with gmo's is there is very little testing done so I can see the fear and I stay away from them. if you look up a man named Dr max gerson and what he did is amazing. He went with food is our medicine and with this he was curing diseases, even cancer. He used organic veg and orangic veg have more healing power than conventional veg. just look him up. its worth the time.

This is interesting, we modified the plant to reduce a chance of cancer and the anit-GMO crowd who claims GMOs lead to cancer are stomping their feet. Irony?

"The USDA this month gave Boise-based Simplot permission to begin commercial planting of its new spud, called the "Innate" potato. The company altered the potato's DNA so it produces less acrylamide, which is suspected to be a human carcinogen. Potatoes naturally produce the chemical when they're cooked at high temperatures.

The potato is also engineered to resist bruising."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/m...otato-26941023
    cut\'em

Quote Originally Posted by possum88 View Post
    The problem with gmo's is there is very little testing done so I can see the fear and I stay away from them. if you look up a man named Dr max gerson and what he did is amazing. He went with food is our medicine and with this he was curing diseases, even cancer. He used organic veg and orangic veg have more healing power than conventional veg. just look him up. its worth the time.
    I just read the Wikipedia article on him, if half of that is true then I need not read anymore, as I will put 10x the faith in chiropractors. We talk about no scientific evidence, that man had none from what I read. When the leading Cancer authorities say your work had no effect or basis, you are pretty much dead in the water. Enjoy your coffee enema.
    cut\'em

You ever notice how some folks can see something like an anti-gun or PETA ad/commercial/web page and say "Geebus... That's bullshit. Who do they think they're fooling?"

Yea.

Those same folks will swear their food is trying to kill them because they read it on "Organic Cucumbers Cure Cancer" web page.
    Rule #2: Double tap

The truth is a lie that will get you killed.

Duncraft Pro-Staff

Quote Originally Posted by possum88 View Post
    The problem with gmo's is there is very little testing done so I can see the fear and I stay away from them.
    And there's a humongous crock of BS. It's tested more than you could imagine.
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

While you're googling people possum, read up on Norman Borlaug. "It's worth your time".
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Don't come in here with all this logic and sense making. Life's a garden, dig it.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Like I said feel free to bash my hippie beliefs. Im not telling you what to believe or forcing it down any ones throat. I switched to a more plant based organic diet and it has done wonders for me, but I never tell people that is how people should eat. To each his own and I guess we can agree to disagree.

Don't come in here with all this logic and sense making. Life's a garden, dig it.
    My bad, I ate some pretty hot wings last night and I just took a poop. So not only is my ass burning, but our office has a comfort height toilet and John Wayne TP...I can't get a good enough push when my feet are barely touching the ground and my already irritated bung-hole got even more irritated by that poor excuse for toilet paper.

It's put me in a shitty mood...
    Last edited by quackaddict; 11-24-2014 at 01:54 PM.

lol

i'm glad I wasnt the one to rain on this parade....but GMO is about as important as gluten free __________ (insert food that doesnt contain gluten to begin with).

POssum--switching to a plant based diet made you HEALTHY. Its not some strange coincidence.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Gluten is a whole different subject. I live with a celiacker, shit is not fun. (No pun intended)

Quote Originally Posted by murraywader View Post
    Gluten is a whole different subject. I live with a celiacker, shit is not fun. (No pun intended)
    You still on the test drive? I figured you would have bought or traded for a new lease by now.
    cut\'em

If something occurs naturally in the ground would it be organic as it is a naturally occuring substance?
    We gave you Corn,you gave us clap,bad trade.

I'm not sure if you have any space restrictions, but you may want to look into the book "Square Foot Gardening". It's available at Lowes at what not. Could really help you out if you have limited space.

Good source for seed: http://www.jlhudsonseeds.net/VegetablesA-D.htm

I've never ordered vegetable seeds from them, just regular plants, but they take their seed business serious.

Quote Originally Posted by quackaddict View Post
    Fact, there is nothing un-safe or un-healthy about GMOs. Not a thing. Agriculture is one of the tightest regulated industries on the planet.
    Fact. Sorry, but that comment above is a pure 'BULL SHIT' statement.

Here's some interesting reading for those of you who bow to Monsanto and their fellow 'used car salespeople'...

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php...Notable_Quotes

Also...
    GM Crops, Tested for Safety?

"Monsanto should not have to vouchsafe the safety of biotech food. Our interest is in selling as much of it as possible. Assuring its safety is the F.D.A.'s job" declared Phil Angell, Monsanto's director of corporate communications in the October 25, 1998 New York Times Magazine article "Playing God in the Garden".

Yet says the FDA's "Statement of Policy: Foods Derived from New Plant Varieties" (GMO Policy), Federal Register, Vol. 57, No. 104 (1992), p. 229" Ultimately, it is the food producer who is responsible for assuring safety".

Proxyinformation.com says, "Monsanto repeatedly states that GE products are reviewed by regulatory agencies. Understanding these agencies role is central to understanding the issue of liability. The biggest misperception about GE crops is that the FDA has tested these plants and declared them safe. What the FDA has done is approved GE crop commercialization based on Monsanto's assurance that the products are safe.... The FDA does no inspection or monitoring for GE food after it is commercialized and is not legally or financially liable for these products."

"The main elements of the regulatory framework are essentially voluntary. Companies that wish to release a genetically engineered food onto the market decide whether or not to consult with the federal agencies, and decide what scientific data to submit. the FDA does not test the products for safety (Mellon and rissler, 2003). the regulators rely ‘almost exclusively on information provided by the biotech crop developer, and those data are not published in journals or subjected to peer review’ (Friends of the earth, 2004)" Says Dr Don Lotter, University of California Davis, in his report The Genetic Engineering of Food and the Failure of Science.

"Despite the mutation problems with plant transgenics, thorough studies on the toxicology of transgenic foods are few. Domingo surveyed the literature on toxicology studies in a 2007 review article in Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition, and wrote that it is ‘quite amazing to note’ the paucity of toxicology studies on transgenic foods, and asks ‘where is the scientific evidence showing that GM plants/food are toxicologically safe, as assumed by the biotechnology companies involved in commercial GM foods?’ (Domingo, 2007)" - Lotter.

"Commenting on the lack of safety data on transgenic foods in the Journal of Medicinal Food, David Schubert, head of the Cellular neurobiology Laboratory at the Salk Institute in California, wrote in 2008: there are, in fact, no data comparing the food safety profiles of GM versus conventional breeding, and the ubiquitous argument that ‘since there is no evidence that GM products make people sick, they are safe’ is both illogical and false. there are, again, simply no data or even valid assays to support this contention. Without proper epidemiological studies, most types of harm will not be detected, and no such studies have been conducted (Schubert, 2008)" - Lotter.

Concurring, a landmark three-year collaborative report that deals with Agriculture & Development, involving some 900 participants and 110 countries, by the International Assessment of Agricultural Science and Technology for Development (IAASTD) states, "No regional long-term environmental and health monitoring programs exist to date in the countries with the most concentrated GM crop production ... Hence, long-term data on environmental implications of GM crop production are at best deductive or simply missing and speculative" [1].

See also Scientist: GM food safety testing is "woefully inadequate". Also see Monsanto and GM Foods: Health Risks.

For lots more quotes see Regulatory breakdown.
    As has been stated on previous GMO/non-GMO threads, we really do need to delineate what it is we're arguing about. Yes, crop/plant/seed "manipulation" has been going on since the dawn-of-time by virtue of root splicing, etc, etc, etc. That's different than gene splicing of pesticides and species, et al... I think.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Woodie, I've been balls deep in agriculture for the last 10 years at the University level...I know how much it is tested. But keep believing that the flouride and GMO corn are poisoning you.

Gene-splicing of pesticides? C'mon man...

Quote Originally Posted by quackaddict View Post
    Woodie, I've been balls deep in agriculture for the last 10 years at the University level...I know how much it is tested. But keep believing that the flouride and GMO corn are poisoning you.

Gene-splicing of pesticides? C'mon man...
    quack, nothing personal, but your university affiliations don't impress me in the least from the standpoint of it meaning that you have any more grasp of the REAL facts than anyone else. The primary reason being is that there apparently hasn't been ANY real long range, in-depth, double-blind research showing the net health impacts - pro or con - of GMO foods, so what makes you think you're any more informed than anyone else? If I'm mistaken about the properly done, unbiased, double-blind, in-depth, peer reviewed studies please post the links to same and I'll withdraw my argument.

Furthermore, IF any of your work is financed by grant monies from the various food suppliers/producers, IMHO, that virtually invalidates your group's efforts as being unbiased, and, thus, doesn't really mean diddly to any of these debates.

That's why I challenge your statement... "Fact, there is nothing un-safe or un-healthy about GMOs. Not a thing." YOU DO NOT KNOW THAT AS A FACT, period. And any statement as such is an opinion only, which is fine. It's just not a proven "fact".

As for the rest of that statement... "Agriculture is one of the tightest regulated industries on the planet." I do believe that is supposed to be true, but inasmuch as the FDA believes that the producers are under a 'voluntary' testing protocol for safety verification, and some of the producers, at least Monsanto(?) appears to believe that it's the FDA's responsibility to determine a food's safety, I'd say we have a conundrum.

As for what I do or don't personally believe, once again you are assuming too much. I'll state it as clearly as I can... "I do not have a blanket bias against GMO products. I just take an inherent skeptical stance until proven otherwise.". I do believe it's a case by case type of issue, and while I apologize for not using the 'facetious' smiley above, or maybe should have just said "alien baby DNA" instead of "pesticides" to make my point, I basically think we get too much confusion caused by the use of the general term GMO when it really means many different things... some innocuous (probably), some impressive, and some that might make us all wonder what the hell was really going on if we truly understood the long-term impact(s).

As for fluoride, well, personally, I don't really give a damn anymore. I don't have kids and don't need to worry about them. You guys who do, or might some day, own that responsibility. Good luck.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

This is what I'm talking about right here. I came in here wanting to grow a few carrots and tomatoes, maybe even a head of lettuce that isn't covered in wetbacks feces, and you guys go and get into this huge debate that no one is really paying attention to except you two. You guys took it to the next level and I dig that. Right on brothers.

Fuck the GMO cronies.. (fist bump in the air)

hashtagscducks

hashtagshitislegit
    Last edited by MolliesMaster; 12-03-2014 at 04:53 PM.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14