Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Non GMO gardening, making the leap.

Default Non GMO gardening, making the leap.

Thinking of making the leap this spring, the full leap into growing non GMO veggies for myself. I'd like to can and save as much as possible.

What I need help with, reading material for small time gardening, what to plant, when? Etc. I know this info is easily accessible all over the web but it also scattered here and there. A book that had plant profiles and nutritional benefits would also be great as well.

Probably gonna need some info on canning as well.

This feels like it will be a labor intensive task, with constant maintenance and attention. But I also think it will be very rewarding if I am successful. Long term goal is to get completely away from the grocery stores produce and meat depts. Feed myself from my garden and animals/fish I can harvest. Lofty goal, but I think it easily attainable if all things are taken into consideration.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Here's a place to get you started. Also, check out your local library.

I'd recommend getting a soil test in your garden plot to establish a baseline to start building the soil from. Lime as needed and start composting. Get yourself ready to go come Spring.

Go to the local Extension office, get your soil bags and grab any of the free material they offer you to read.

http://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgic/

If you set it up right. There is little to no labor involved.

Proper set up, get some micro sprinklers set up on timers.

All you do is harvest.

learn to compost

good luck. Like I was saying with stripa in the other thread, its a battle you cant truly win. 98% of the soybeans in our country are genetically modified.

I would not fault you for going "organic" but not sure you can get seed for everything you would want that isnt GMO.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

My veggies are "organic" minus their routine sevendust application.

Last edited by Slaya; 10-21-2014 at 10:14 AM.

i bet you a bazillion schmolians that they dont have beans

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    i bet you a bazillion schmolians that they dont have beans
    These folks got you covered.

http://www.seedsavers.org/onlinestor...ean-Agate.html

Soybean, Agate
    Catalog #1187
    (Glycine max) New Mexico heirloom that was originally introduced to the U.S. from Sapporo, Japan in 1929. High yields of small olive green seeds with brown saddles. Good eating quality. Very rare variety. 65-70 days.

Description Price Qty
    1lb $10.50
    Rule #2: Double tap

The truth is a lie that will get you killed.

Duncraft Pro-Staff

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    Thinking of making the leap this spring, the full leap into growing non GMO veggies for myself. I'd like to can and save as much as possible.

What I need help with, reading material for small time gardening, what to plant, when? Etc. I know this info is easily accessible all over the web but it also scattered here and there. A book that had plant profiles and nutritional benefits would also be great as well.

Probably gonna need some info on canning as well.

This feels like it will be a labor intensive task, with constant maintenance and attention. But I also think it will be very rewarding if I am successful. Long term goal is to get completely away from the grocery stores produce and meat depts. Feed myself from my garden and animals/fish I can harvest. Lofty goal, but I think it easily attainable if all things are taken into consideration.
    Where are you located? Ill save you a vegtable production book that will cover everything you need to know. We also periodacally have canning workshops.

certified organic but is it GMO?

is "heirloom" already NOT gmo?

Quote Originally Posted by ESSO82 View Post
    Where are you located? Ill save you a vegtable production book that will cover everything you need to know. We also periodacally have canning workshops.
    I'm in florence, I would really appreciate that. Let me know when you offer the class, as well.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Seriously, outside of sweet corn, how many vegetable varieties are truly "GMOs" and not bred using the same techniques we have been using for the past 500 years?
    cut\'em

Only available GMO vegetables are sweet corn and squash. period.
    "It's a numbers game" - Mac Owen
    Endangered: Farmers, Watermen, and Rural Life

Reality seemed to kill this thread.... I was looing forward to a good discussion
    cut\'em

Potatoes are now gmo. Organic means it is non-gmo and heirloom means non-gmo. They do not use the same techniques as past farmers have. they use pesticides. Pesticides are harmful to humans and some have been proven to increase cancer rates. Look up the dirty dozen and clean 15. I planted a big garden because I wanted to do the same as you. I know where my food came from and how it was grown. You cant say that when you buy it from a store. Now the government is trying to change organic to include some chemical pesticides and chemical fertilizers. to sum it up grow you own food to in sure it is organic or know the farmer you buy from.

Fact, there are 0 GMO potatoes on the market. Fact, there are a multitude of pesticides that are OMRI approved. Fact, the pesticides used in vegetable crop production are the safest they've been in the history of mankind.
    "It's a numbers game" - Mac Owen
    Endangered: Farmers, Watermen, and Rural Life

true but they are coming to market soon and very soon and mankind has never used pesticides until recent history. we as humans are not meant to eat food that has poison on it but that's my personal opinion. feel free to bash my hippie beliefs.

Quote Originally Posted by possum88 View Post
    Organic means it is non-gmo and heirloom means non-gmo.
    Not really.

You non-GMO people do realize that every single variety of vegetable we eat today has been genetically modified since folks began cultivating them, right? Every. Single. One. Whether through selective breeding, evolution, or taking a gene out, they're all different.

Fact, there is nothing un-safe or un-healthy about GMOs. Not a thing. Agriculture is one of the tightest regulated industries on the planet.
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by possum88 View Post
    feel free to bash my hippie beliefs.
    I wouldn't call them hippie beliefs, but maybe I'm-gonna-stick-my-head-in-the-sand-and-not-educate-myself-about-agriculture beliefs.
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Possum that is your beliefs and opinions and you are entitled to those by the Constitution. The problem is many who hold your same beliefs spread (mis)information that is backed by fear and speculation, not science. We have the safest, most healthy, most abundant food supply in the history of mankind.
    cut\'em