Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Serious Question About CrossFit

In my defense I didn't get mean till she got lippy.

It's was easier to establish good habits than to break bad ones. And the progression is and always shall be Mechanics, Consistency THEN Intensity.

Ok. So I forgot the consistency. So kill me.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

i'm crying now just thinking of glenn being a meanie.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I find that odd coming from a man who digs into people's gums with a metal pick for a living.

Quote Originally Posted by murraywader View Post
    Yeah no shit.....

I can't stand a fleet feeter telling me about how healthy they are.
    Running isn't a fitness program in and of itself. Out of shape folks start running to get in shape and poor form follows and then injuries. Running should be treated like all other functional movements. It's no different. I do think it's functional and natural and we were born to do it. I also think Crossfit boxes have gotten away from programming it like the main site did in the early days. Not sure why.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

I have gotten injured in every physical regimen I have ever done long enough.
    Sports, Running, Lifting, Crossfit, etc.

I don't think Crossfit is any more dangerous than anything else. Its is just very popular now and in the spotlight. There are plenty of people twisting ankles on broke-up sidewalks / pot-marked roads every day running and plenty of people wrecking themselves in weight rooms. That just goes rather unnoticed I guess. I feel like people look for a reason to demonize Crossfit. It's nothing new. It's just high intensity circuit training with a cool name and a passionate following.

I do think Crossfit's kipping pull-ups are a bad idea. But I also think traditional lifting's bench press is a bad idea.

There is a lot of ways to get hurt with an active lifestyle. But being strong and flexible is also a great injury preventer for real-world accidents outside the gym.
    Last edited by walt4dun; 10-14-2014 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stripa Swipa View Post
    Running isn't a fitness program in and of itself. Out of shape folks start running to get in shape and poor form follows and then injuries. Running should be treated like all other functional movements. It's no different. I do think it's functional and natural and we were born to do it. I also think Crossfit boxes have gotten away from programming it like the main site did in the early days. Not sure why.
    Because it isn't sexy and you can't submit a video of it for the competitions etc.

We program a lot of running. I hate it but it is a vital part of an all inclusive broad domain fitness program.

Oh - we get it. Sprints, 200M, 400M, miles - you name it. Like I told ya the other day, I cringe when I roll up and see those orange cones in the parking lot.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

I also think Crossfit boxes have gotten away from programming it like the main site did in the early days. Not sure why.
    I agree!
    One of the main reasons I left the “box”.

I certainly miss the comradery and competition but I really felt like I needed to focus more on my own programming.

The money savings is also a plus. I’ve put together a pretty nice gym in my bonus room.

Are boxes programming 5 and 10k days ever? Those used to be frequent on the main site. Most crossftters can likely tell you what their total or Fran time is. How many could tell what their 5k time is? I really have no clue as I don't pay too much attention anymore. I do remember a post a while back where somebody said they were crossfitting heavy and then almost died trying to run a half marathon. I think an intermediate level crossfitter should be able to run a half marathon without much of a worry.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

Not many J. In our short existence we have yet to program over a 1 mile time trial but all of our athletes are very new to not only CF but any fitness program.

I also think Crossfit boxes have gotten away from programming it like the main site did in the early days. Not sure why.
    Personally, I think main site WOD's may have been great early on but they've deteriorated rapidly over the last year or so. That programming and some of the Open's programming is a lot of what has given Crossfit a black eye on the innerwebs.

Take for instance the programming for 14.3 of the Open last year. Ascending weight and rep deadlifts and box jumps. It is a terrible idea. Increase load and rep scheme the farther into a workout you go as an AMRAP?? What you get is "high level" Crossfit athlete like Stacy Tovar using absolutely deplorable deadlift technique for the sake of a score.

The owner of our box posted on their Facebook page that the box would not be programming 14.3 but if people wanted to do it that they were welcome to. For that, they got a hate email directly from Dave Castro questioning the box owner's integrity and skill level. The guy that programs for us and owns CFA holds multiple USAW weightlifting certifications and a whole plethora of "certificates" (not certifications, per Crossfit) from Crossfit HQ. He is quite good at what he does, but he was derided by Crossfit HQ and flamed all over the internet for disagreeing with the groupthink.

I think that personal fitness is a journey that each person should undertake with their own goals and physical limitations in mind. There are aspects of all manner of strength and endurance sports that I mix into my own personal program to suit my needs and at the end of the day I am responsible for my own progression or regression.

I did 14.3 and I judged I don't know how many athletes on that one. I remember the flack your guy took for his stance.

I told my judge to watch my back and let me know if it rounded. It never did but I obviously was sore in my hamstrings, glutes and spinal erectors after that one.

While I was judging that one I made sure I told the athletes that I would warn them of their back rounding and if it continued then I was getting between them and the bar. I never had to make anyone quit thank goodness. But when they got tired their form tightened up and they slowed down but kept moving.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Not many J. In our short existence we have yet to program over a 1 mile time trial but all of our athletes are very new to not only CF but any fitness program.
    I think that's wise since most folks aren't prepared to execute the proper form until they are already in decent shape AND not overweight. You can't "strip" the weight off a person for a body weight exercise.

I think what is a shame is the culture seems to treat a fitness program as a competitive sport now with plenty of commercial interests to muddy the waters. If there are any puritans left, I'd think they'd want a solid total AND be able to run a respectable 5k. They would be equally important within the framework of a broad functional fitness program.

Rubberhead

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I did 14.3 and I judged I don't know how many athletes on that one. I remember the flack your guy took for his stance.

I told my judge to watch my back and let me know if it rounded. It never did but I obviously was sore in my hamstrings, glutes and spinal erectors after that one.

While I was judging that one I made sure I told the athletes that I would warn them of their back rounding and if it continued then I was getting between them and the bar. I never had to make anyone quit thank goodness. But when they got tired their form tightened up and they slowed down but kept moving.
    This shows a concerted effort on your part to be a good coach. That type of effort and care doesn't always come with getting a Level 1 certificate from Crossfit. That in and of itself is what is fundamentally wrong with the old Crossfit coaches model. I've run across more people with their L1 that are not qualified to coach anyone than I have good L1 certified coaches. I'm hopeful that the new scheme Crossfit has put in place will bring about more qualified coaches.

I think that's wise since most folks aren't prepared to execute the proper form until they are already in decent shape AND not overweight. You can't "strip" the weight off a person for a body weight exercise.

I think what is a shame is the culture seems to treat a fitness program as a competitive sport now with plenty of commercial interests to muddy the waters. If there are any puritans left, I'd think they'd want a solid total AND be able to run a respectable 5k. They would be equally important within the framework of a broad functional fitness program.
    Agree. I give runners a hard time mainly because I hate it and suck at it. But like you, if we're in this for the fitness and not the scores and broad times and modal domains means anything, then running is a vital part of that equation.

i'm with glenn on this one. I hate running and suck at it. I'm sure people like stripa would comment on my form....because I might've mentioned that I hate it and it sucks.

olympic lifting + going as fast as possible + guys trying not to get beat by women = injuries.....hehe

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    i'm with glenn on this one. I hate running and suck at it. I'm sure people like stripa would comment on my form....because I might've mentioned that I hate it and it sucks.
    Stating the obvious your new hobby?

Rubberhead

Hobby? Hell no. Its my passion.

I dont think you have to have a 26.2 sticker on your car to be healthy.