Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My latest hobby

Recent ties

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JHampton; 10-14-2014 at 08:54 PM.

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Friend of mine runs a fly shop in Cashier NC. He caught his personal best brown (27") on a gray midge 2 weeks ago. He showed me the fly which he had taped to a dime in his pocket. Honest to God it was about the size of this dot--->

It has a barbless hook that looked like a gold color eyelash. I've been throwing flies all my life, some for trout but most for bream and bass. I had never seen a fly or hook so small in my life. You could have buried the hook to the eye in your hand and not felt it.

This is a gray midge on the tail of a mayfly...it's hard to describe how small that fly was. It was seriously the size of the dot above. Amazing that he landed a 27" cold water fish with that tiny hook.

The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

If you are up that way you need to stop in the shop. They have a lot of Orvis and Filson gear. But mainly they have a well stocked tying room and they have classes in the evenings to teach people how to tie or help them with tying hard patterns. My buddy may not be there because he said he was headed back down state to go back to college, but someone else will be there teaching.
    Last edited by Mergie Master; 10-14-2014 at 09:18 PM.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

What's the name of the shop? I love the Cashiers/Highland area.

Quote Originally Posted by murraywader View Post
    What's the name of the shop? I love the Cashiers/Highland area.
    I do too.

The name of the shop is Brookings, it's in the Village.

http://www.brookingsonline.com/

When you walk in you think it is all clothing but they have a wader room straight in the back and when you go in and turn left is where all their fly fishing gear is. Then further left they have like a sun room (all glass) with their fly rod display and reel display in glass cases. Nice place and the prices on their rods and reels is not that bad. Yeah you can spent $6-$800 on a rod but they have some reasonably priced ones too. I don't mean Martin Walmart special kit types on a cardboard plank. I'm talking a lot of them in the $200 - $350 range. I didn't price their reels when I was there last.

Marc said it took him over 30 minutes to land the 27" fish. He also said he had been throwing to that same fish for 2 weeks before he got it to take the fly. Everything he tried was spooking it so he kept trying smaller and smaller flies until he ended up with that tiny "period" sized gray midge and it took it. I'm surprised he landed it at all. It's hard to explain just how small it was. They have a display of bins with flies in them and they have some of the gray midges in those. Just look for the smallest flies in the bunch, the ones that are almost invisible.

The biggest problem I find with the 20+ sizes is threading the tippet through the eye of the hook. I haven't tried to tie anything smaller than a 16.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

Daiichi size 26
    http://www.tenkarabum.com/images/dai...-watermark.jpg

Like this Merge?
    http://www.troutnut.com/im_user_shar..._418_large.jpg

Thats a fruit fly hook

Quote Originally Posted by JHampton View Post
    Like this Merge?

Exactly! Took me a minute to find it on that dime. What size was that?

Can you imagine landing a 27" brown in swift water on that fly? Man I can't.

The biggest problem I find with the 20+ sizes is threading the tippet through the eye of the hook. I haven't tried to tie anything smaller than a 16.
    When I talked to Marc the other day I had the youngest grandson tugging on me and didn't have time to ask questions. But that was what I was thinking. How the heck can you thread a tippet through that eye. Even when I was young, my eyes were perfect and I had nerves of steel I don't think I could have pulled it off. I'd need a jeweler's glass or whatever those things are called.

Like this Merge?

Ain't no damned way...

Size 33 I think, measured in microns

Back when I worked in the shop at Capsugel I made me a fly vice. It was solid stainless steel and probably better than anything you can buy. I patterned it after a manufactured vice and made it precise using tolerances that were real small. It looked professional and I was going to start tying, but other hobbies got in the way. Couple of years later a guy that saw it when I first made it asked me if I wanted to sell it. I asked him what he thought it was worth and he offered me $100 for it. Since I had yet to use it I sold it to him. Kinda wish I'd kept it now. I have a lot more patience now than I had back then when I had all that energy I had to use.

Size 33 I think, measured in microns
    Dang! That's getting down to atomic sizes and weights.

Daiichi size 26
    http://www.tenkarabum.com/images/dai...-watermark.jpg

That 26 looks like a shark hook compared to the 33.

Thats a heck of a fish Marc caught. Heck 8x tippet is only .003" and 1.5 lb test

I've got a tool I keep on my vest that helps you thread it. I can't remember what it's called. Works like a champ.

I got a size 22 stuck in the tip of my finger a few years ago. I clipped my hemostats on and gave it a stiff yank to pull it out and it ripped out of the hemostat jaws. I was surprised how well the barb held. It hurt like hell when I yanked it.