Thread: How long do you keep birds/doves

Default How long do you keep birds/doves

I was discussing this the other day with some folks about how long they keep doves cleaned/uncleaned in the fridge as opposed to or before freezing. The responses I got were from the people age meat outside for days all the way to throwing them out if they sat in the truck too long on the way home on a hot day.

I generally put the whole birds in a sack in the fridge for a few days til I get enough to clean, then if Im going to eat them soon refrigerate them or freeze them if not. How long is too long in the fridge?

They should last 4-5 days easy.

I've aged them all sorts of ways. The only thing I stick away from are plastic bags (like a grocery bag) in a dove field. I don't care for doves left whole, in a plastic bag sitting in a hot field. It feels unnatural, sweaty like.

after you clean them and either seal them or put them in marinade, how long does one keep said cleaned doves in the refrigerator. I personally think they keep a good while, i.e. weeks without freezing them.

I'll age doves/ducks a week in the fridge. I'll hang ducks outside if it's not going to get warm out.
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

i just cleaned some doves for my dad that he stuck in my fridge a week ago. I am not worried at all. I prefer to do it sooner, but there is no real science behind "aging" a piece of meat that doesnt have fat.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I've never aged doves, but I have in the past left ducks on the bottom shelf in my refrigerator until they smelled like ammonia. When they get to that point, that's my que that they're ready for the Dutch oven.
    Last edited by Fish; 10-07-2014 at 12:38 PM.

Weeks....
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE