Thread: What to do with the hide?

Default What to do with the hide?

I bagged a little eight footer on opening night, skinned it out and put it in the deep freezer along with the skull. What have some of you done with the hides you have gotten in the past. I'd like to get it tanned, but not sure how to display it. Anyone willing to show off some pics of their hide mounts? I've heard that you can't just boil the skull like a deer, any truth to this? Thanks.
    "If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." -Theodore Roosevelt-

I spent a couple hundred dollars on salt, countless hours stretching and scraping, and have a pile of unfinished, quality, stiff as damned heart pine hides in my shed.

Kept thinking I was going to sell them and recoup some of the hundreds of dollars I have burnt up chasing them. Yeah, right. I'm a wild hair from chunking them in the garbage.

To any rabbit sherriffs reading, they all have their CITES tags, so dont bother.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

BigBallin is offline prognosticator of prognosticators

Dixie might be able to help you with the hide, as for the skull you can put in in a cage and drop it in a big ant bed, wait till it gets hot outside again and soak it in plain water changing the water out about once a week or so, or send it off to get cleaned by beetles. I use the water tactic but have learned over the last couple years that if you do it now it can cool off enough out side that the meat doesn't deteriorate before the bones get soft and fall apart.
    You can grow up to be just like me....

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I spent a couple hundred dollars on salt, countless hours stretching and scraping, and have a pile of unfinished, quality, stiff as damned heart pine hides in my shed.

Kept thinking I was going to sell them and recoup some of the hundreds of dollars I have burnt up chasing them. Yeah, right. I'm a wild hair from chunking them in the garbage.

To any rabbit sherriffs reading, they all have their CITES tags, so dont bother.
    Got plenty of tree to tack them to iffin you want. Good redneck yard décor
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

Send to Amtan, get the leather made into a few belts and wallets

Gave mine to my cousin who tanned small pieces and made belts, holsters and rifle slings for everybody involved in the adventure.
    "My resume is the trail of destruction behind me. " Bucky Katt

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post

How did you spend a couple $100 on salt. You get a dump truck to deliver it?

Salt, borax, and the multiple trips to what ever dollar general was in a 50 mile radius...

I didnt kill all of them at one time. Spread out since the season opened on them. I am confident I am over a couple hundred dollars in gator hide stuff.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

you can use lutan to tan the hide for a mount. But if want leather use the lutan f combo. Both can be found at Vandyke's