Thread: davidson river, NC

Default davidson river, NC

Me and a buddy are going to give it a shot next weekend. Brevard area. Anyone have any recent reports? Tips would be appreciated too. Thanks

High stick them.

Definitely got to keep rod up high...will be crowded on weekends...get there early. Best fishing is up by the hatchery and catch and release. Set rig up with with nymph and a droper off that and use strike indicator...some big fish up in that area...further down river it get more recreational traffic(tubers and stuff)...last call mark or matt at fly shop in cashiers nc and they will be able to tell u what they are biting...good luck. Get there early!

thanks and thanks, we're camping, will be on the water at daylight. super small nymphs for the browns? fairly new at this

have fun, small nymphs, big nymphs, soft hackles, terrestrials, streamers....pretty much anything will catch them now. If you fish at the hatchery, throwing a random crazy fly has caught me many a fish, but small nymphs are the name of the game up there. Fishing is good right now from the National forest entrance to the headwaters. Speaking of headwaters, that's where I would fish, especially if you are just getting into this. Small eager trout are a lot of fun and aren't too picky. Looking glass, Yellowstone prong, deep creek, and any other little blue line on the map will have fish that will eat an elk hair caddis with a pheasant tail dropper.

Get JEB Halls book at Davidson river outfitters on your way in and fish any streams that look good in it.

Oh yeah, this respectable brown was caught on the Davidson this weekend by my wife,...she left me at home with the kids.

awesome. thank you, will post a report next weekend

If the the water is dirty try bouncing a big bitch creek along the bottom, or a bills provider. Some of the largest browns I have ever caught up there were on the nastiest days with chocolate milk colored water. If the water is clear fish size 22 bh brassie or zebra midge behind a bh prince nymph or pheasnt tail. 8x flouro tippet on clear water, dirty water 2-4x with a ton of weight and set the hook every time your line even pauses for a split second
    "If its better than cold beer and hot pussy it'll probably kill us all" ~ Rebel Son

that aint the high sticking MW was talking about...
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

czech nymphing works well up there...
    At least I'm housebroken.

Throw a mouse pattern after dark right behind the hatchery

Quote Originally Posted by svphotoman View Post
    Throw a mouse pattern after dark right behind the hatchery
    I've heard the figure 8 pattern is hell on them at night but you better catch them quick otherwise you have to come up with your own distinct pattern.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

we ended going this past weekend. cold night for tents but the scenery was nice. water was low and it didn't seem overly crowded. fished around the campgrounds and hatchery. we saw plenty of big fish but couldn't get them to bite. we went to the east fork for a confidence boost and caught a few stockers. maybe I will go back if hunting is really slow, if not definitely for the spring hatch.

Last edited by YoungBuckTX; 11-03-2014 at 07:34 AM.