Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: First frost in the Pee Dee

I have lived in Florence for most of my life. My great-grandmother told me three weather truisms. 1. It is always cold when the fair comes to town, 2. It will not frost before Nov 1st, 3. It will not frost after April 1st. That woman was a saint, fight me. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

For what it's worth (and it may not be worth much!): the NOAA Climate Prediction Center outlook for October 30th - November 12th says "Model guidance also broadly favors below normal temperatures across the Southeast...."

Their graphic gives the states of Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Florida and South Carolina a greater than 50% chance of cooler than normal temperatures during this time period.

In the past I haven't been very impressed by the accuracy of their forecasts, but perhaps their staff checked with the blackbirds.
    That the Tiger's roar may echo.....

Frost on the rooftops this morning in the country outside of Florence. Didn't see any frost in town. Today is 11/5/21. Blackbird prediction for first frost was 11/6/21 to 11/8/21. Not perfect, but pretty close, I'd say......

Y'all keep your eyes peeled for the blackbirds. I've seen only a few stragglers so far - certainly not any big flocks down in the fields. That may be because nobody around my area planted much corn and none of the fields have been harvested. But it may be because the blackbirds are telling us that first frost will be significantly later than normal.

I saw the first big flocks of the year last Tuesday on the golf course at Ft Jackson.

One flock landed on a green and the entire green looked black from the tee box.

Not a huge flock but a couple hundred here. Also spotted an odd ball with white tail feathers.
    20221001_173736.jpg
    Last edited by GreenHeadRocker; 10-03-2022 at 08:14 PM.

Cormorants arrived.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Seen some scouts today on Murray.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

I saw a murder of crows yesterday. Biggest flock that I have seen in years.

Getting close. 45 here this morning. Headed to the mountains this weekend. Projected lows are in the low 30’s. Been waiting for this since March

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Some high society lady says is your horse outside, no ma'am he's between my legs, but you're too fat to ride" Hank Jr

46 on my way to work! getting mighty close!

yuk

Quote Originally Posted by Aging Baby Boomer View Post
    Y'all keep your eyes peeled for the blackbirds. I've seen only a few stragglers so far - certainly not any big flocks down in the fields. That may be because nobody around my area planted much corn and none of the fields have been harvested. But it may be because the blackbirds are telling us that first frost will be significantly later than normal.
    I saw a big flock toward Florence before the hurricane. Another giant flock yesterday.

Box stand weather

Well, the blackbirds dropped by for a chat this afternoon! Looks like they're predicting first frost for our area (the Pee Dee) will occur on November 20th. I'll try to remember to check back in here when our first frost actually occurs....so you can rag on me, the blackbirds and the old timer's wisdom if we're wrong. But, if.......

Quote Originally Posted by Aging Baby Boomer View Post
    Well, the blackbirds dropped by for a chat this afternoon! Looks like they're predicting first frost for our area (the Pee Dee) will occur on November 20th. I'll try to remember to check back in here when our first frost actually occurs....so you can rag on me, the blackbirds and the old timer's wisdom if we're wrong. But, if.......
    Would it surprise you to know that a lot of us look forward to your report each year? it shouldn't...

Light frost on the lawn this morning. The blackbirds and I were a month off on the prediction this year! Feel free to rag away on me and the old-timer's wisdom.