Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: First frost in the Pee Dee

Quote Originally Posted by Aging Baby Boomer View Post
    I was travelling internationally from September 21st to 29th and may have missed an earlier appearance of the blackbirds. However I'm back home, and the blackbirds appeared in large numbers today at the farm. So based on this sighting, I will peg their prediction for first frost in the Pee Dee on November 20th. Mark your calendars!
    Haven’t seen any over on the lpd side I’ll keep looking
    "And ignoring people on here....that's like being home schooled. Just say you're not ready to face life." Highstrung

Based on the amount of fruit my pepper plants are putting out, they believe that the end is near. Nov 20th is not a bad guess in the Pee Dee on most years. I am still trying to understand how frost happens when the temps are above freezing, but then again I am pretty sure magnets are magic. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

i wanna know how it can be dry as hell but grasses can form enough dew to soak my pants.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

My pepper plants are breaking limbs heavy with fruit. It will be awhile
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

It's the DEW point that gets even with the outside temp that cause's that 2th. That's my free lesson for today.
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie Glover View Post
    Based on the amount of fruit my pepper plants are putting out, they believe that the end is near. Nov 20th is not a bad guess in the Pee Dee on most years. I am still trying to understand how frost happens when the temps are above freezing, but then again I am pretty sure magnets are magic. MG
    It doesn't happen.

Fact.

Cold air is heavy air. Frost forms on the ground first.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Ice on the hood of the truck this morning. Truck said 42 degrees. No frost on the ground though.
    E T

At 7:15 this morning we had dew on the lawn, dew on the truck windshield, frost on the top of the truck and light frost on the rooftops. Not a hard frost, but there are more cool nights ahead in the ten-day forecast. Were the blackbirds wrong? Did I misread their prediction? Or has the old-timey wisdom been proven wrong? Stay tuned....
    That the Tiger's roar may echo.....

Or maybe you are just a crazy old man? Mother Nature is like a wild turkey. She is gonna do what she wants and you never know what that’s gonna be.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

Had a light frost on the truck yesterday morning. This morning my truck, yard, field in front of the house and my tin roof has a light frost on it. On a wide open hill in Gilbert. Lexington County.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frost up the road on roof tops but none in the hole I live in but the house is right on the lake.
    Last edited by DRDUCK; 11-02-2019 at 08:14 AM.

.....a crazy old man?

old? Absolutely! I'm an aging baby boomer!
    crazy? Certifiably so! Ask me about 'water galls' sometime.
    internet troll Eh.....maybe!

Apparently I'm a crazy old man with a wrong prediction this year. Based on my first sighting of the blackbirds I predicted first frost on November 20th. Well, we had a hard frost at the house this morning (November 10th). Unless the blackbirds appeared while I was out of the country, the old-timer's wisdom just wasn't accurate this year. I'll admonish the birds next time I see them, and look for their first appearance next fall.

Blame it on the birds, we ain't old we just seasoned.

@Jevans sent me a text on Sept 22nd that he had seen a big flock of blackbirds on the move. Old Timers lore says that means the first frost in the Pee Dee should be on 11-3-2020. Lo and behold, the weather man is calling for frost in the morning.

Don Williams called it, Frost on the Pumpkin this morning.

Heavy frost here at Gobbler's Knob, GA. Felt glorious this AM.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Frost in St Matthews this AM.
    More fuel = more boost!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Don Williams called it, Frost on the Pumpkin this morning.
    Uh..Cal Smith is pissed.

Killing skeeters & libs dreams all in the same day!!