Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: USDA approves new seed

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    these chemicals are gonna kill us
    Not before fluoride does...

So what happens when weeds start becoming resistant to 2-4D just like some have with glyphosate? It seems to be two companies playing a game of one upmanship in the GMO crop game. If this gets approved by the EPA, will most of you switch to this seed? Is it really that big of a game changer?

Quote Originally Posted by marsh chicken View Post
    Not before fluoride does...
    And a hygenist with a pick.

Quote Originally Posted by marsh chicken View Post
    So what happens when weeds start becoming resistant to 2-4D just like some have with glyphosate? It seems to be two companies playing a game of one upmanship in the GMO crop game. If this gets approved by the EPA, will most of you switch to this seed? Is it really that big of a game changer?
    A lot of this technology has already been approved by the EPA. Some of the chemicals, like Enlist DUO (Glyphosate and 2-4D Colene) They are still waiting on. The main hold up on all of this is China's approval. Like stated before it is all going to come down to the price. Commodity prices are in the dumps and at/under the cost of production.

We will have a 2 billion bushel surplus after harvest this year. Corn prices should stay low until the next big drought in the Midwest. I would expect beef prices to start coming off with cheaper feed. Any thoughts?

They are going to have to. It takes a while for the cattle market to correct though. Some fellas have made some big money recently on bovines.

Fertilizer sure hasn't done anything.

MC is offline Daydreamer Extraordinaire

I'm curious what you guys that farm for a living think about this approach of combining cover crops and no-till. There is quite a bit of talk about reducing nutrient inputs, controlling weeds, conserving soil moisture etc. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    We will have a 2 billion bushel surplus after harvest this year. Corn prices should stay low until the next big drought in the Midwest. I would expect beef prices to start coming off with cheaper feed. Any thoughts?
    They should, but right now it's higher than hades. A buddy of mine that ropes was telling me last week that a shitty ol' roping steer is bringing around $800 right now.
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

I had planned to get in this winter, but I am seriously thinking about backing up and punting. I can't think of much worse than to have to piss around with cattle stuck in ditches, ponds, etc. while losing money on them.

Quote Originally Posted by MC View Post
    I'm curious what you guys that farm for a living think about this approach of combining cover crops and no-till. There is quite a bit of talk about reducing nutrient inputs, controlling weeds, conserving soil moisture etc. etc.

Didn't watch the videos, but. There has been a recent push from extension and NRCS for cover crops. They have a bunch of benefits. Buidling organic matter, soil mosture, weed suppression, controlling erosion. You still have to fertilize. Once again with the way the commodity prices are I don't see a lot of extra inputs going out.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I had planned to get in this winter, but I am seriously thinking about backing up and punting. I can't think of much worse than to have to piss around with cattle stuck in ditches, ponds, etc. while losing money on them.
    Now is not the time to buy cattle. Sell them, yes...but not buy them.
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

flouride is for mind control, not death. its had plenty of decades to kill us.

I really think we have an impending issue with all these chemicals and the affects on the environment, long term.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

The Ag Phd guys on Rural Radio (Sirius 80) read a letter from someone complaining about all of the chemicals going into the environment.

Their response was that a ton of research goes into the effects of these chemicals on people/animals/plants, and if you think about the small amount of chemicals that get mixed into gallons of water to spray on an acre of crop, it's really not a lot of the actual chemical hitting the ground.

Of course, I guess that depends on the proper usage of chemicals and not the burn it down crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by quackaddict View Post
    Now is not the time to buy cattle. Sell them, yes...but not buy them.
    Great advise.

Quote Originally Posted by ProvidenceSwamper View Post
    A lot of this technology has already been approved by the EPA. Some of the chemicals, like Enlist DUO (Glyphosate and 2-4D Colene) They are still waiting on. The main hold up on all of this is China's approval. Like stated before it is all going to come down to the price. Commodity prices are in the dumps and at/under the cost of production.
    I'm completely ignorant on this topic, but why in the hell would US farmers have to wait on China's approval before using a GM seed?

Quote Originally Posted by CRowland View Post
    The Ag Phd guys on Rural Radio (Sirius 80) read a letter from someone complaining about all of the chemicals going into the environment.

Their response was that a ton of research goes into the effects of these chemicals on people/animals/plants, and if you think about the small amount of chemicals that get mixed into gallons of water to spray on an acre of crop, it's really not a lot of the actual chemical hitting the ground.

Of course, I guess that depends on the proper usage of chemicals and not the burn it down crowd.
    ohhhh....so if you dilute it enough, it wont hurt you?
    tell woodiesc. flouride is about 7 parts PER MILLION.

I am pretty sure when I mix a tank of 2,4D its way more concentrated than that.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Just got a yield report from our trading company.

Subject: YIELD corn Christian County Illinois (s.c.)
    9 miles southwest of Taylorville, IL
    160 acres 257 dry bushels over the scales
    Good test weight, average moisture was right at 21%

Subject: YIELD corn Illinois - e central and central
    50 miles north of Champaign , 220 bu per acre on mediocre soil vs 170 ly.
    10 miles west of Springfield, 260 and 280 bu per acre.

Subject: YIELD corn central Iowa (Ogden, Waukee, Indianola)
    Ogden, IA 80 acres 227 bpa, about 30 bpa above average.

Waukee, IA 400 acres combined and averaging 240 bpa, about 50 bushels above
    10 year average and 35 bushels better than the yield checks were.

Indianola, IA just opened his first field, it is averaging 240 so far. Ten year average is probably 180.
    Last year it was 225. He thinks it will probably be his best corn.

Subject: YIELD beans Cental IA Grundy County
    50 Acres 1.9 Maturity
    62.9 BPA Beans were short. Producer thought low 50’s last week

Subject: YIELD corn & beans Illinois/Indiana border (Paris, IL-Dana Indiana)
    Around Dana, Indiana and Paris, ILL
    Corn 190-270 avg so far 230 would say 40 better than last year
    Beans 60-80 avg so far 70 would say 15 better than last year
    Rule #2: Double tap

The truth is a lie that will get you killed.

Duncraft Pro-Staff

I think the last USDA CR said 176 average across the nation. Might bump up some with those reports.

A quick check shows Illinois elevator at -.30CU, so around $2.96/bu.

$2.96bux257bpa=$760.72/ac. Good money, but probably not near what the guy thought he would get on his best crop ever.
    Rule #2: Double tap

The truth is a lie that will get you killed.

Duncraft Pro-Staff