Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: USDA approves new seed

Default USDA approves new seed

WASHINGTON – The Agriculture Department has approved the use of genetically modified corn and soybean seeds that are resistant to a popular weed killer.

However, farmers won’t be able to take full advantage of the seeds until the Environmental Protection Agency issues a second ruling allowing the use of Enlist, a new version of the 2,4-D weed killer that’s been around since the 1940s. The EPA has said it will rule this fall on Dow AgroSciences’ application to market the chemical.

The agriculture industry has been anxiously awaiting the approvals, as many weeds have become resistant to glyphosate, an herbicide commonly used on corn and soybeans now. Herbicide-resistant seeds introduced in the 1990s allowed farmers to spray fields after their plants emerged, killing the weeds but leaving crops unharmed.

Critics say they are concerned the increased use of 2,4-D could endanger public health and that more study on the chemical is needed. The USDA has said that if both the seedsand herbicide are approved, the use of 2,4-D could increase by an estimated 200 percent to 600 percent by the year 2020.

While the Agriculture Department only oversees the safety of the plants, the EPA oversees the safety of the herbicide for human and environmental health. The agency already has found the chemical safe for the public and agricultural workers.

The department on Wednesday said it had decided to approve the seeds in an online posting first reported by Politico.

Groups lobbying the agency to prevent the herbicide’s expanded use say they are concerned about the toxic effects of the herbicide and the potential for it to drift. Corn and soybeans are the nation’s largest crops, and the potential for expanded use is huge.

“With this approval comes millions of more pounds of toxic herbicides dumped onto our land. It’s an unacceptable outcome,” said Andrew Kimbrell, executive director for Center for Food Safety.

Dow AgroSciences says the new version has been re-engineered to solve potential problems, like drift before and after the herbicide hits the plant.

“We’ve used the latest science and technology to address problem weeds,” said Dow AgroSciences President Tim Hassinger. “Enlist will be a very effective solution, and we’re pleased to have this technology one step closer to the farm gate.”

The weed killer 2,4-D is now used on other crops, including wheat and on pastures and home lawns. It is the world’s most popular herbicide and the third most popular in the United States, behind atrazine and glyphosate.

If approved, the new version of 2,4-D would be used in combination with glyphosate.

Will it kill pig weed?
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

Quote Originally Posted by PBiz View Post
    Will it kill pig weed?
    Very much so.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

I mixed gly and 2,4-d and sprayed it on some small plots before planting brassicas - pigweed was still green when I mowed it down two weeks later.

Maybe pigweed will end up being some miracle cure for something and that's why we are blessed with it.....

I went to a field day the other week here in Kingstree. One of the company reps in attendance swore one of his customers in Georgia was the first verified glyophosate resistant pigweed.

I haven't been able to verify it on the internets, but if it's true, it's another good reason to hate Georgia.
    Rule #2: Double tap

The truth is a lie that will get you killed.

Duncraft Pro-Staff

There are a couple new systems coming out.

Dow's Enlist. Will be a 2-4D, Glyphosate and Glufosinate (Liberty, Ignite) system. Dow has a new 2-4D Colene formulation that is supposed to be far superior to old Amine formulations.

Monsanto's Xtend will be a Dicamba, Glyphosate and Glufosinate system. Monsanto and BASF have new formulations of Dicamba that will be labeled and should be superior to the old Banvel/Clarity chemicals.

There is a lot of education that has been going on with these systems the past couple years. They focused on off target drift, susceptibility, nozzle selection, speed, wind, etc, etc.

These systems will help with resistance issues but have to be used correctly. There is going to be some decisions to make with growers about which way they want to go and they will have to be very aware of what there neighbors are doing.

All the companies are waiting on China's approval. They are the hold up now. Everything goes as planned we should see these technologies have soft releases in 2015-2016.

There will never be a cure all but its crazy we will be spraying 2-4D on cotton and Dicamba on Soybeans in a few years.
    Last edited by ProvidenceSwamper; 09-23-2014 at 11:00 AM.

Saw a fella that had "Liberty Soybeans" and pigweed..

Whatever he sprayed, friggin dissolved it..
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

Quote Originally Posted by ProvidenceSwamper View Post

These systems will help with resistance issues but have to be used correctly..
    That's the deal right there. Cutting rates, using the wrong tips/equipment, and poor stewardship cant happen for this technology to work correctly and prevent future resistance problems.

He sprayed Liberty. That's Bayer's Glufosinate i was talking about earlier. It used to be called Ignite. It's what we spray over the top of cotton (not Deltapine). All of these systems will have a full Glufosinate gene.

There were a few small plots of Liberty Link mid-tier 5s at the field day that looked pretty good.

Duncraft Pro-Staff

Group 5's is all that has been available the last couple years. Group 7's will be soon. That is the maturity group of most of our area's beans.

Canada is already using the Enlist program.

Quote Originally Posted by ProvidenceSwamper View Post
    He sprayed Liberty. That's Bayer's Glufosinate i was talking about earlier. It used to be called Ignite. It's what we spray over the top of cotton (not Deltapine). All of these systems will have a full Glufosinate gene.
    Nor Phytogen (technically speaking).

Pigweed can be overcome but it takes a mindful grower with a plan. The things whackum is talking about is something that anyone growing anything should look into.

Enlist and Xtend are just more tools in the toolbox but definitely not the hammerscrewdriverplierscatchalltool.
    cut\'em

It's all fine and great but who can afford to plant an increased cost of production bean at current prices?? Don't worry about corn, just don't skimp on your typical pre/post program. And the real question/myth is how can ANYONE make $0.60 cotton work??? I was in Texas last month on a cotton tour and asked a fella point blank, "does 60 cent cotton pencil out for you?" He was response was very to the point "not no but hell no, but neither does 3.50 corn" I know I am considered a poor mouthing farmer but the reality is that things will get worse for the people who feed and clothe America before they get better. We are tightening our belts a few notches and gonna try and weather the storm. And before anybody claims the clique response "you have had some good years before this". Farming is like any business if you aren't growing you are falling behind and the way you grow is you turn profit back into improvements, and now we are staring down the barrel of seed and chemical companies trying to justify their technologies and advancements with abysmal commodity prices. The technology will work just like liberty link cotton has it has made it easier to plant big acres and kill weeds but damn if I can stand much higher costs of seed that is "helping make it easier" when I can make nothing off the crop. Farming ain't easy. These seed and chemical companies need to wake up and figure out how to cut the fat and get these prices down before they get totally out of touch with the markets.

Quote Originally Posted by coon hunter View Post
    It's all fine and great but who can afford to plant an increased cost of production bean at current prices?? Don't worry about corn, just don't skimp on your typical pre/post program. And the real question/myth is how can ANYONE make $0.60 cotton work??? I was in Texas last month on a cotton tour and asked a fella point blank, "does 60 cent cotton pencil out for you?" He was response was very to the point "not no but hell no, but neither does 3.50 corn" I know I am considered a poor mouthing farmer but the reality is that things will get worse for the people who feed and clothe America before they get better. We are tightening our belts a few notches and gonna try and weather the storm. And before anybody claims the clique response "you have had some good years before this". Farming is like any business if you aren't growing you are falling behind and the way you grow is you turn profit back into improvements, and now we are staring down the barrel of seed and chemical companies trying to justify their technologies and advancements with abysmal commodity prices. The technology will work just like liberty link cotton has it has made it easier to plant big acres and kill weeds but damn if I can stand much higher costs of seed that is "helping make it easier" when I can make nothing off the crop. Farming ain't easy. These seed and chemical companies need to wake up and figure out how to cut the fat and get these prices down before they get totally out of touch with the markets.
    Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by coon hunter View Post
    neither does 3.50 corn
    The ripple effect of $8 corn is unfortunate.

Back in May I had a stack of "call me if corn hits $5" post-its.

Each and every person I called decided they wanted to wait for a better price.

I even offered to roll to the next crop year if they were short, or write it off if they were close to filling... Still no interest.

Now Dec is trading at $3.25 and doesn't look like it will come up anytime soon.

Duncraft Pro-Staff

CBOT doesn't give a shit about the cost of production. Markets are cyclical, they just look more like the Rockies than the Appalachians these days. As for the seed and chemical companies, they are really good at spending money...

Mo, the Old Man always told me, "pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered"
    cut\'em

Whatever happened to RR sunflowers being sold in the US?

these chemicals are gonna kill us
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    Whatever happened to RR sunflowers being sold in the US?
    You can get some but they are high as giraffe pussy. Edit. Had a brain fart and was thinking about sweet corn. There have been some RR sunflowers planted around though.
    Last edited by ProvidenceSwamper; 09-24-2014 at 07:47 AM.