Thread: Purple top turnip

Default Purple top turnip

Does anyone know the volume of seed required per acre for these?

I'm splitting some with another fella and all I need to plant is roughly 5 acres, how much seed do I need?

Thanks.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

I think the seeding rate is around 5-8lbs/acre.
    Rule #2: Double tap

The truth is a lie that will get you killed.

Duncraft Pro-Staff

Sorry, I just found it online. It is kinda broad saying 1-4 lbs per acre. Anyone have experience planting?
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

We plant ours in a mix with radishes, oats and turnips. We drill them in.. 50lbs goes a long way. The deer won't eat them until late Fall of course after a good frost hits them.. then it's on.. our deer in Bamberg love the turnips.. One week they are knee high and once they start in on them, it's a target rich environment...by the end of deer season, the tops are gone and the turnips get pulled out of the ground and eaten too..Turnips have been a great addition to our food plot program..
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Don't have a way to drill them in. I planned on mixing them in with oats, mixing 1lb per acre.

Trying to do all of this for my papa while he is in stroke rehab, so its a learning process. Wish I would have paid more attention and asked more questions when I was younger.

Well prepared seed bed and the right fertilizer rate (100-200lbs/AC 10-10-10) and then pull a cultipacker over them to cover if you don't have that, use a chain drag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Planned to plant this weekend and fertilize next midweek, one afternoon. Is this ok? I'm on a tight schedule with time so I am trying to do everything when I can.

I'd reverse that and fertilize first but that's just me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

i use playground sand mixed in with a spreader when spreading turnips or clover, tiny ass seed but a 5lb bag goes a lllllllloooooonnnnnngggg way.

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    Sorry, I just found it online. It is kinda broad saying 1-4 lbs per acre. Anyone have experience planting?

Yes, don't mix it with clover and rye. It will shade them out. If planting in the same plot, dedicate 1/3 or so for the turnips. Deer love them after the frosts, not before.

AS far as planting, Quackhead covered it well in his post.
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 09-12-2014 at 10:08 AM.

Turnips are the late season food source for our plots. The deer will absolutely hammer them in late November and December. We have over 30 acres of plots on our place and turnips get planted in most of them... we do long strips along the edges of the road system and buck sightings are high as the deer need post rut nutrition.

Lime and fertilizer before planting is crucial..I will try to do a set of photos on this year's program..
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Don't make it too hard. We just finished up putting out 25lbs each of turnips and rape. After we drill our wheat we just top dress the plots with these tiny seeds. No need to drag a seed in that small, especially if you can catch it right before a rain. We've even gone as simple as having someone sit on the back of the drill using one of those small hand held spreaders while drilling. We plant between 75-80ac each year so this saves a lot of walking.
    Turnips are one of the easiest and hardiest things to grow most people tend to make growing turnips way to hard.
    Last edited by rocketman; 09-12-2014 at 01:42 PM.
    rip Dakota

Picked some nice greens from my plots in the past. Seems they grow better in the food plot than the garden.

10 lbs is what my sheet says but I have no idea. Never messed with them.

"Purple Top Turnip"

yep, we plant 'em with pink tulips.

I just shat myself

Quote Originally Posted by Moatsy View Post
    yep, we plant 'em with pink tulips.

Moatsy got all of that one..........it's still going.....
    Founding Member of the Short Mo' Sea Pro Posse

Fuck Purdue