Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Disappointed With New Stereo Install...

Quote Originally Posted by USMCsilver View Post
    You're right. I tapped a pontoon boat one time with my 232 Coastal. That poor navy blue hull didn't fare too well against that pontoon. It pissed me off, but taught me a lesson.

If I tore up the rub rail the way I did, I'd simply trim it out with a razor and call it good. I mean...the camera kinda makes it look worse than it is...

Having said that -- I paid dearly for that boat. It's 3 weeks old. I didn't cause the damage. But, I still have a conscience. I have to sleep at night. I don't feel right having him pay out ~$500 for a careless mistake. But, then again, I want my boat to be right and continue to be right for as long as I own it. If I have that rubber spliced in, who's to say it won't look like shit after 5 years after time/temperature/etc. take its toll?
    If you are going to fix it...don't splice it. If the rub rail bothers you...make him fix it. Like I said, I would have flown off the handle. Kind of agree with PD.

Kind of?

PD is spot on.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    Kind of?

PD is spot on.
    I know. But I also know that the rub rail is going to get dinged. That's what it's there for. Like I said I would not handled this well but understand where sterling is coming from.

That's not a bayliner, not sure how he thought it was acceptable

It doesn't matter if that is what the rub rail is supposed to do. Silver didn't do it. Get it fixed right. You'll be doing your good deed the next time someone takes a boat to this hack and he turns it down before he butchers it.

The boat is 3 weeks old.
    I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what they had to teach; and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. Henry David Thoreau, WALDEN

I just told Marine Pro to send the invoice for a total replacement instead of the partial that I was considering.

I guess I'll see what they think about the sub while I'm there, too.

FYI, when those batteries are gassing off (when charging) it's going straight up into that amp, and it will not last long. Oh, and hydrogen gas is explosive, don't ask me how I know.
    Last edited by Bownut; 09-06-2014 at 11:33 AM.

Default Disappointed With New Stereo Install...

Damn at the halfassness... Why don't you pretend this a new gun and dress it properly as you seem to not skimp in that department

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by boondoggle; 09-06-2014 at 11:33 AM.
    "The real reason fish jump - they don't have a middle finger!"

What kinda idiot uses Velcro to mount an amp that probably weighs almost 10 lbs? This guy is no pro. Especially if he chose to put an mdf sub box in a boat (at least looks like mdf).
    Last edited by willyworm; 09-07-2014 at 09:10 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    What kinda idiot uses Velcro to mount an amp that probably weighs almost 10 lbs? This guy is no pro. Especially if he chose to put an mdf sub box in a boat (at least looks like mdf).
    It's coated.

If the sub as a 100% air-tight mount, then a coated box should be fine for many years of use. However, with the shit he did to build the box out because it wasn't deep enough, I'm sure there'd be issues if I decided to keep the box.

Meh. Sounds shoddy all the way around. I used to do that for living, but have since reduced my installations to just shadetree stuff. I wouldn't even think about installing that amp and sub like that. That just sucks.
    Last edited by willyworm; 09-09-2014 at 10:12 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Damn, my ass hurts.

Boat's back from Marine Pro.

Got my antenna replaced (which I snapped). Got a module installed so the stereo can go through the VHF antenna. Got a Keelguard installed. The amp's been remounted. I had a hole cut in the side of the console and a vent cover installed.

Having said all that, I guess the price wasn't all that bad, but I still feel asshurt. And, to make matters worse, I still need more air to circulate in the console. My next trek is to find someone with a CNC table so they can make the appropriate cuts into the door.

I'd try to find someone with a waterjet machine. Will cut the plastic a whole lot better..

Quote Originally Posted by Fireman View Post
    I'd try to find someone with a waterjet machine. Will cut the plastic a whole lot better..
    The factory did it with, what appears to be, a rotary bit of some sort @ a 45• angle.

I'm tempted to take the door down to their plant and just get it done there. I'd think they'd do it for free...

Ran the boat today. It's the 1st time since the stereo was done.

DAMN THE ENGINE NOISE!!!

It's always something.

Marine Pro made everything nice and neat, but apparently they didn't run the engine to check to make sure that a very common problem wouldn't occur.

Time to troubleshoot, I guess. I'm not about to haul the boat back to Irmo for that.

Ran the boat today. It's the 1st time since the stereo was done.

DAMN THE ENGINE NOISE!!!

It's always something.

Marine Pro made everything nice and neat, but apparently they didn't run the engine to check to make sure that a very common problem wouldn't occur.

Time to troubleshoot, I guess. I'm not about to haul the boat back to Irmo for that.
    And this is why I don't own a boat... Yet!! Always dumping money into it b/c something is always wrong.

Just means the remote and power/ground wires are too close, no big deal to move apart.
    1648 Tracker Grizzly
    Yamaha 70 2 stroke

Quote Originally Posted by B.Miller View Post
    Just means the remote and power/ground wires are too close, no big deal to move apart.
    That or RCA is goo close to power wires.

Or bad ground... Or crappy RCA's.

That or RCA is goo close to power wires.

Or bad ground... Or crappy RCA's.
    Yep, easy fix.
    1648 Tracker Grizzly
    Yamaha 70 2 stroke