Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Disappointed With New Stereo Install...

its funny you mentioned traffic jams, I have personally seen a $90,000 wakeboard boat with 5 screws sticking out the bottom of the hull,, I wouldn't let that dude put a horn on my daughter's bike. when I look at a boat I just painted I say to myself would I be happy with that if it were mine,,, if not, its back to square one. I take SO MUCH precaution when I paint around things I can't undo he needs to run his business the same way. that is flat out shitty right there.

I would contact his insurance carrier ASAP. At a minimum, they need to pay for the damage to the side of your boat. No way you should pay him a dime. If he can't do marine work, he shouldn't accept marine jobs.
    I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what they had to teach; and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. Henry David Thoreau, WALDEN

Quote Originally Posted by Edisto View Post
    I would contact his insurance carrier ASAP. At a minimum, they need to pay for the damage to the side of your boat. No way you should pay him a dime. If he can't do marine work, he shouldn't accept marine jobs.

Yeah. Fucker needs to be paying to have my console fixed by a pro, or a new console...and a new rub rail.

Anything less would be unacceptable.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by Edisto View Post
    This.

I spent 10 days, and had some experienced help, rewiring my flats boat and installing a stereo system. It was tedious, but once I finished I walked with an excellent finished product and know the entire wiring schematic of the boat.
    TFC -"Be tough, or get tough!"

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    What the hell did he do to fuck up the rub rail like that?
    I'm pretty sure he put a little piece of wood on the top of the gunwale and sawed downwards.

my console fixed

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what they had to teach; and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. Henry David Thoreau, WALDEN

Sorry I know you're excited about your new boat and should be. Go get your money back from this tick turd. That's absolute bullshit all the way around.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

Damn. Edisto and BB took the words out of my mouth.

Wait til I show you guys pics of the subwoofer box he wedged and probably glued and Velcro'd to the inside of the console...

Here's the issue I think I may run into here:

I picked the boat up at 7pm. I took the pictures in the lot. He wasn't there. I spoke to him on the phone earlier in the day saying I'd pick it up tonight because I didn't want it sitting out there for another overnighter. I asked about additional fees, and he told me the $140. I said I'd be there around lunch tomorrow to pay him.

So -- I took the boat. If I try to do anything about insurance stuff, he can deny messing anything up; he could say that damage was there... I'm just not too sure I'd have a leg to stand on. I didn't think about this before I pulled the boat away.

I really don't know how to broach the subject.
    Last edited by USMCsilver; 09-04-2014 at 09:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    console fixed by a pro, or a new console.
    Nothing's "wrong" with the console. He didn't mess it up (that I can tell). I just gotta see what he did to get the speaker wedged in there. He said he didn't put any screws into the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by USMCsilver View Post
    Nothing's "wrong" with the console. He didn't mess it up (that I can tell). I just gotta see what he did to get the speaker wedged in there. He said he didn't put any screws into the boat.
    Maybe I misread.

Did he or did he not cut holes that are not where you wanted holes?
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Here's what I would do.

Go to the guy tomorrow. Be as nice as you can. Tell him, I am really not happy with the work you did. Also, you damaged the side of my boat, and I expect you to make things right and pay to have it repaired. Who is your insurance carrier?

When he asks what he did wrong, list them (including not using heat shrinking).

When he says he didn't damage the boat, explain to him that you are going to have a non biased marine installer/mechanic look at the boat. When the non biased guy looks at all of the other things you did wrong, do you think any reasonable person is going to believe that you did not damage my fiberglass?

If he refuses to do anything, threaten to take him to small claims court--and do it if he doesn't budge.

Well, that just sucks.

Guy in sumter did my installation. PM me if you would like his number.

Also, i will show you pics of what and how he did it.

Fiberglass is not damaged. Its just the rubber that the stainless rests in.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    Maybe I misread.

Did he or did he not cut holes that are not where you wanted holes?
    No holes anywhere.

Oops. Rub rail instead of fiberglass. Fiberglass repair might be cheaper.

Let's see a pic of sub box. Have done car audio for around 20 years and boats are a different beast.

Quote Originally Posted by Clemsonwoodie View Post
    Let's see a pic of sub box. Have done car audio for around 20 years and boats are a different beast.
    Gotta get a picture of that tomorrow.

The speaker box was too shallow, so he trimmed out the face with a piece of plywood and painted it black so he'd gain the additional 1/2" he needed in order to make the sub fit in the box. Again, this looks like shit. However, he did point it right at the side of the console, so you can't see it. However, I'm wondering if the speaker would sound better if it was pointed back to all the open air and instead of RIGHT UP AGAINST the console?
    So you are saying, you have a speaker box, inside your console? With an amp? His suggestion, or your design?

Is it made to be removable?