Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Disappointed With New Stereo Install...

Default Disappointed With New Stereo Install...

Got the boat back today. Kinda unimpressed. For what I paid, I was hoping for more.

The quality of work was kinda shitty and I gotta go back and rework the amp mounting by epoxying something to the inside of the console and then attaching the amp to that. He used Velcro on unfinished fiberglass. Needless to say, that didn't stick.

Then, the way he "wedged" the sub into it's resting place is about as ghetto as it gets and it looks like shit.

The speaker box was too shallow, so he trimmed out the face with a piece of plywood and painted it black so he'd gain the additional 1/2" he needed in order to make the sub fit in the box. Again, this looks like shit. However, he did point it right at the side of the console, so you can't see it. However, I'm wondering if the speaker would sound better if it was pointed back to all the open air and instead of RIGHT UP AGAINST the console?

The whole thing sounds pretty damned shitty unless I open up the console door.

I guess I'm going to have to take the door off, get a router, and route vents all the way down the entire door. That's the only idea I can think of.

To make matters worse, he pretty much fucked up the side of the boat just above the rub rail on the rubber part. It looks like he sawed into the rubber or something in about 7 spots.

He wants me to pay him $140 in extra labor because it took him 5 hours and I paid for the one hour @$65/hr I was quoted. I'll ask him to pay for the repairs for the boat, and for me to go back and unfuck his work...or we can just call it even.

I'm actually pretty pissed about the whole thing. Nearly $1k and I kinda just wish I would have kept what I had in there.

Sometimes, if you want it done right, you ought to do it yourself.

Holy shit he screwed up
    Go Tigers!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hosscat View Post
    Sometimes, if you want it done right, you ought to do it yourself.
    I've said that myself for years. I should have. I know I should have and that's what pisses me off even more.

I wouldn't pay them shit if they'd done that to my boat. Maybe parts only.
    Last edited by scslayer; 09-04-2014 at 08:37 PM.

Pissy wouldn't begin to describe it.....

You expected someone to install $900 worth of components for $65? And do a decent job?
    Sucks, that is a beautiful boat.
    Please support March of Dimes

www.marchforbabies.org/MadelineRai

I have learned my lesson on shit like that, I have un-fucked too many peoples work. I know how to do the shit myself, but struggle for time.......in the end it is never worth it.

You got fucked.

Post the cocksuckers name so nobody else gets fucked.

The only people in the marine industry who have continually done excellent (with more than just repair work) work is Marine Pro.

At least sell him out and hopefully keep him from doing it to others.
    Please support March of Dimes

www.marchforbabies.org/MadelineRai

Wow ! You should go see this guy, he's not cheap but his work is top notch. https://www.facebook.com/CKBlantonmarine
    “We as a group now have a greater moral responsibility to act than those who live
    in ignorance. Once you become knowledgeable, you have an obligation to do
    something about it.”—Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Sheep View Post
    You expected someone to install $900 worth of components for $65? And do a decent job?
    Sucks, that is a beautiful boat.
    He quoted an hour. When I dropped the boat off, I said I wouldn't mind paying for an extra hour or two if that's what it took in order to have it done right.

It ain't done right.

Will -- it was Traffic Jams in Lugoff.

I wonder what it would take to repair that rubber under the stainless. I think I'll just have to trim it out with a razor and just let it be...

Who did the job? A marine guy? We would be eating the cost of that job if we did it. And I can guarantee you if any of our guys quoted only an hour on that install, I'd have their ass.
    I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what they had to teach; and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. Henry David Thoreau, WALDEN

If you would like the name of some top notch audio guys who know their stuff and are also key west dealers, pm me

Quote Originally Posted by USMCsilver View Post

Will -- it was Traffic Jams in Lugoff.
    Damn it brother..............never take your shit to a car audio shop.....ever.

MARINE PRO or do it yourself.

I was posting when you posted up who it was.

Don't want to beat a man when he is down, but you shouldn't expect a home theater/car guy to do a boat right.
    I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what they had to teach; and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. Henry David Thoreau, WALDEN

Quote Originally Posted by Edisto View Post
    Who did the job? A marine guy? We would be eating the cost of that job if we did it. And I can guarantee you if any of our guys quoted only an hour on that install, I'd have their ass.
    That last line was my first thought. What audio installer in his right mind thinks he can do all that in one hour and it be done right?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

I'd be willing to bet he didn't heat shrink the wire connectors so you can add that to the list of things to fix.
    TFC -"Be tough, or get tough!"

Quote Originally Posted by slowiedawg View Post
    I'd be willing to bet he didn't heat shrink the wire connectors so you can add that to the list of things to fix.
    Nope. Sure didn't.

Damn.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

What the hell did he do to fuck up the rub rail like that?