Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: skid steer

Default skid steer

Multi part questions. What is going rate for someone to come out and run one probably 8 hours. Need one with mulching cutter, cutting undergrowth pines. About 6 acres. Sumter county. Should I rent machine or just contract job?

I usually pay about $2000 a day for the machine and operator for all they can cut in about 12 hours.....bear in mind, that's a licensed contractor with insurance and such hauling it to and from the site, etc.

I rented the machine and operated it myself once just to see the difference. I can run a skid steer fairly decent, but I cut about half what they normally do. But then again if I broke it I was paying for it. The employees of the contractor I use are more of the drive it like you stole it type of guys.
    Founding Member of the Short Mo' Sea Pro Posse

Fuck Purdue

Hire it out if you aren't experienced. You'll spend more time trying to get the feel than getting work done.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by benman View Post
    I usually pay about $2000 a day for the machine and operator for all they can cut in about 12 hours.....bear in mind, that's a licensed contractor with insurance and such hauling it to and from the site, etc.

I rented the machine and operated it myself once just to see the difference. I can run a skid steer fairly decent, but I cut about half what they normally do. But then again if I broke it I was paying for it. The employees of the contractor I use are more of the drive it like you stole it type of guys.

You had to stand up in the seat didnt ya?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

My friend charges $175 an hour to run his cutter head.

I would find somebody to do it. I used to run one when I did Natural Resource work. I got pretty good at it but it takes time to get a feel for a mulching head. Those heads are constantly needing work or breaking down. You don't want that bill.

I would imagine you are looking at $150-200 an hour.

You can pretty up some land with one.

Last edited by ProvidenceSwamper; 09-04-2014 at 11:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post

Nope I borrowed Simple's platform boots he uses at the ATM
    Founding Member of the Short Mo' Sea Pro Posse

Fuck Purdue

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    Probably tried to get it to a drive-thru ATM.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

I use a guy in the upstate from time to time, he charges $150/hour... When we need him it is worth it.... Only use them for bamboo patches and un-maintained clear cuts left for years that are supper thick. That thing makes short work of both.

Thanks for replies. Some one want to shoot me a message with a contract number?

Pm sent
    Plant it they will come.

A client of mine had some work done in NC recently and it ran him $150 per hour. I think anything under $200 per hour is fair. If you're clearing big enough acreage with enough volume to it, a logging crew with a chipper is the best route.

FYI.... I ran a skid steer for the first time today and can operate most any equipment.
    But those skid steers aren't made for 6' 2" 225# operators!..... For whatever it's worth...
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by SOUTHERN WOODS View Post
    A client of mine had some work done in NC recently and it ran him $150 per hour. I think anything under $200 per hour is fair. If you're clearing big enough acreage with enough volume to it, a logging crew with a chipper is the best route.
    Yeah, we are getting 80 acres of crap clear cut for fuel chips, but for 6 acres I'd probably get someone to run that mulching head.

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    FYI.... I ran a skid steer for the first time today and can operate most any equipment.
    But those skid steers aren't made for 6' 2" 225# operators!..... For whatever it's worth...
    Got that right.

Quote Originally Posted by ProvidenceSwamper View Post
    I would find somebody to do it. I used to run one when I did Natural Resource work. I got pretty good at it but it takes time to get a feel for a mulching head. Those heads are constantly needing work or breaking down. You don't want that bill.

I would imagine you are looking at $150-200 an hour.

You can pretty up some land with one.

I wish that person you put me in touch with hadn't sold his big ass one before I got ahold of him. He told me there were only two that size east of the Mississippi. I would have like to have seen it run.

We have a seasonally flooded cutover we need a road cut across, too. It has been dry enough lately. Time may slip by on that.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Rat View Post
    I wish that person you put me in touch with hadn't sold his big ass one before I got ahold of him. He told me there were only two that size east of the Mississippi. I would have like to have seen it run.

We have a seasonally flooded cutover we need a road cut across, too. It has been dry enough lately. Time may slip by on that.
    I know someone with a big mulcher if you still need it.
    It's always High Tide in the High Tide

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    It's tight for 6'6'' too....

All you need is a machete and a Mexican.

Quote Originally Posted by marsh chicken View Post
    All you need is a machete and a Mexican.
    I've actually seen about 20 Hondurans tackle 600 acres like that. Damned impressive and I highly doubt they got paid much.