Thread: Basic Dog Training for Dummies

Default Basic Dog Training for Dummies

OK folks, the wife wants a dog. While she grew up with dogs in her household, I did not due to severe allergy problems. We're probably looking at a Carolina dog or a small german shepherd. Will likely be kept mainly indoors but excercised regularly. May consider an invisible fence for the yard but right now we're just doing some homework and getting up to speed in a lot of different areas.

Before considering any dog, I believe the first order of business would be for ME to be trained up properly so I can be adequately prepared to start things off on the right foot. Having an obedient, well-mannered dog is important to us and we're willing to invest the time and effort to do it right.

With that in mind, what fundamental training materials would y'all recommend?

Thanks!

Endless material out there. Spend as much time as possible with it. Don't allow bad habits to form. What's cute as a puppy won't be cute when he grows up; i.e. jumping up on you etc.

GB, call Dog Trainers Workshop in Fountain Inn and talk with Connie Cleveland or one of her staff members. They have a wealth of knowledge and I'm sure would be more than happy to impart some of their wisdom on you.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

Find a trainer to work with if you have no experience. Its worth every dollar.

Be the boss and the dog will love you for it. Some folks let dogs run over them. Dogs will instinctively push the limits because that is how pack hierarchy is established but they actually appreciate having a pack leader. It's easy to shy away from being stern and disciplinarian but your dog will love you more. They have less respect for anyone they can push around.
    Last edited by Palmetto Bug; 09-16-2014 at 08:12 AM.

There is a book called "Don't shoot the Dog" by Karen Pryor.

It is a good baseline to learn how to teach your dog. It explains rewards and punishments and how to use those to train what you want to train. This book has helped me think more critically about how I train my dogs than any other book or program. I think it would help any trainer.

Seriously, "Don't shoot the dog", its worth it and have been able to use the principles training my lab(no collar, Positive reinforcement) and my golden (Collar conditioned, FF)

I'll second Dog Trainers Workshop. You can read all you want to about dog training, but putting it into action can be a different ball game. Connie and her staff have obedience training for beginners to advance to competition. Start the learning process now, but have someone experienced to help guide you once pup arrives.

Dog Trainers Workshop folks are awesome.
    Hunting outside the box

Yeah Connie is close to you. She is really good at that stuff
    Bay Creek Kennels- Hartsville, SC
    Owner/Trainer- Rhett Riddle
    Retriever & Obedience Training
    Cell-803-608-2252

Home of:
    HRCH Ace's Costa Del Mar MH. "Costa" 500 Point Club
    GRHRCH Costa's Signature Blend MH "Crown" 500 Point Club
    3x GRHRCH Crown of Ace's in Costa's Shadow MH QAA “Craig”

Thanks, fellas. Having no dog experience, I believe I need to be trained first before I start training the dog. I won't have any trouble being the leader but as for my wife, I hope she won't undo everything we establish... Dog Trainers Workshop it will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunning Bird View Post
    Thanks, fellas. Having no dog experience, I believe I need to be trained first before I start training the dog. I won't have any trouble being the leader but as for my wife.....
    I think you might be pleasantly surprised

Great advice above and I would definitely fence in the yard. It is said that lack of exercise is the root problem that causes a lot of headaches for the owner. If pup doesn't get to get some of that energy out, life may become unpleasant quick. Always set pup up for success and both of you will be rewarded.

Oh yeah, Protip....get yourself some Bitter Apple spray for anything you don't want pup to chew on.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.