Thread: tightness

Default tightness

I have been doing heavy Olympic lifts lately, and I am having trouble with my lower back getting really tight. Stretching helps some...but idk if I need to hit my abs harder or what. Any help is appreciated.

Chiropractor

Back extensions and situps, I'd think.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

Yoga on active rest day
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

Thanks...il try it

We do yoga for crossfitters at our box. The instructor looks at our programming or asks us what we want/need to work on. Once a week is nice, twice a week is the money.

Roll out every day before and after working out.

Back extensions for ROM, muscle memory and blood flow.
    The right to bear arms is the last form of defense against tyranny.

Get a lacrosse ball and do some stretching with bands. I was going through the same thing really bad, to the point I would have to cut my workouts in half. Got the ball, started doing band stretches and rolling out with foam and the lacrosse 30 minutes 2x a day. Good as new now and I continue to roll out everyday so I can stay that way!
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Some good advice above, but I'd also focus on hamstring, psoas and hip flexor stretches. If your low back is tight and painful you may have some pelvic tilt caused by tight hamstrings, psoas or hip flexors.

You can smash the psoas with a larger diameter ball or the handle of a kettlebell. It sucks but it helps. Hip flexors and quads you can do the couch stretch and there are a million things to do for the hamstring but I'd start with a localized softball smash and then move onto more active stretching.

Quote Originally Posted by SCcdp View Post
    Some good advice above, but I'd also focus on hamstring, psoas and hip flexor stretches. If your low back is tight and painful you may have some pelvic tilt caused by tight hamstrings, psoas or hip flexors.

You can smash the psoas with a larger diameter ball or the handle of a kettlebell. It sucks but it helps. Hip flexors and quads you can do the couch stretch and there are a million things to do for the hamstring but I'd start with a localized softball smash and then move onto more active stretching.
    ^This. Hamstrings are what both muscle heads and high-end athletes both forget. Abs and quads get strong and too tight causing but to rotate back causing back issues.

Mobility and stretching for your posterior chain. What you're feeling is soreness/tightness in your spinal erectors. Those big muscles that keep your torso up in the bottom of a squat and that help open the hips.

Good mornings, light roman dead lifts, foam rolling and 4 way hip stretches. And at least two rest days for every 5 days of work. Not "active" rest. Rest.

Please tell me we're still doing phrasing!

this thread sucks... I thought it was going to be tight asses or tight bodies chicks, or cunts???? something good, you know like what Tater has been posting. I guess i should have known it had no designated day, and was not started by Tater.
    Last edited by CAMO SNOB; 08-22-2014 at 10:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Mobility and stretching for your posterior chain. What you're feeling is soreness/tightness in your spinal erectors. Those big muscles that keep your torso up in the bottom of a squat and that help open the hips.

Good mornings, light roman dead lifts, foam rolling and 4 way hip stretches. And at least two rest days for every 5 days of work. Not "active" rest. Rest.
    Yeah I've been trying to roll out some, and I've watched a bunch of videos about stretching out to see if I can add any stretches. I think one of the biggest things I need to do is rest a little more. I took yesterday off and I feel awesome today. I was getting beat up bad. Ham strings are part of the problem, I've been stretching more than I ever have in my life....gonna go see a chiro also

I've had some of late. Had it worked out.

Today they dialed up "Alexander".

5 Rounds
    31 BS 135
    12 PC 185

I made 4 rounds at 135/115 and 1 round 115/115. That's a shade over 10 tons BS and 1 3/4 tons +/- PC. Standing up from the pot a little while ago was interesting.

Stretched out before and after, but tonight will find me in the floor after ball practice. rolling out and stretching. I guarantee! I am sore/tight back there.