Thread: Barefoot/minimalist running

Default Barefoot/minimalist running

I am beginning light research on the structure/function aspects of the barefoot/minimalist running movement.

Most of what i will be looking at is the work from Daniel Lieberman (the evolutionary biologist on the forefront of the movement) , the recent research the military has put out, and the Osteopathic principals of structure and function.

For curiosity sake (not scientific)

1) if you are a barefoot/minimalist runner, how did you phase into the change in footwear

2) did you concentrate on changing form first before switching

3) did you see a decrease in foot, shin, or knee injuries 3 months and 1 year out from the switch.
    "Blessed is the man... who makes one word grow where two grew before" - Havilah Babcock

You might as well learn that a man who catches fish or shoots game has got to make it fit to eat before he sleeps. Otherwise it’s all a waste and a sin to take it if you can’t use it.” - Robert Ruark

"Either write things worth reading, Or do things worth the writing " -Benjamin Franklin

Take this as an unbiased comment considering I have no relative research backing my decision to become a barefoot/minimalist runner. I have ran off and on for several years after high school to keep in shape, thus trying several types of shoes/soles. Granted, I am flat footed, however I have always felt awkward running with shoes and socks. Now, fast forward to last fall, when I came across those fila 4 toed shoes. Not a running shoe, however I decided to run in them one evening. My conclusions were of far less drag with in my conformance and felt more energy. Why, I don't know. I was able to persistently gain longevity and distance to my runs without restraints.

Now, fast forward to February. I came across the vibrams. Fine shoe, but it lit me up in blisters. That is the only complaint thus far. I consistently run 4-5 days a week and concentrate less on my judgement of form. I did concentrate before hand, considering back pain, which I thought was inhibited to a weak core. I also felt constraint in my movement and not able to push myself as far as a do now (Forest Gump metal legs effect).
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Indeed, yet I have killed no Jack Miners today, this month, or this season as our boy DHall has. I am more jealous of his awesome pig of a bird than everyone else combined.

First Peter 5:7 "Cast all your care upon God"

I had a good case of pf while training for a race and decided to try it. I went straight to a vibram sole in a Merrill and it eliminated my heel striking. I think it forces better form and I was having trouble getting off the heels with 2 inches of cushion as a crutch. Since I was prepping for a race, I pushed too hard and did have some tendinitis type issues and had to back off a few times. I ultimately changed my form and was able to get into some more comfortable shoes but still don't use shoes with any noticeable drop. My distance running has been in a few different models from the Brooks Pure Project series. I don't ever hurt during or after running anymore and could never go back to a heel strike form. I like the minimalist shoes as trainers that encourage good form. Don't run any further than you can maintain good form...when form breaks down, stop. Also, when tendons, ankles, feet etc starting hurting...back off.

Good luck.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

This is what I wear for crossfit/running.
    http://www.inov-8.com/new/global/Pro...Grey.html?L=26
    Last edited by BugBuster; 08-26-2014 at 08:42 PM.
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan

Inov8's and nanos here. Like Stripa said, I try to concentrate on a forward lean and no heel strike. I go barefoot whenever and as much as possible as well with some barefoot running.

Some of my ancestors were Ethiopian, so I have always felt that running barefooted was what I was supposed to do!!

Thanks guys
    "Blessed is the man... who makes one word grow where two grew before" - Havilah Babcock

You might as well learn that a man who catches fish or shoots game has got to make it fit to eat before he sleeps. Otherwise it’s all a waste and a sin to take it if you can’t use it.” - Robert Ruark

"Either write things worth reading, Or do things worth the writing " -Benjamin Franklin

if you haven't already, read up on the vibram five-finger lawsuits. also this is a good read:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/0...ype=blogs&_r=0

i run 3-4 times a week and use the new balance fresh foam. i've had no issues with knee tendonitis or soreness. i used nike free's before the NB's and liked those too. if you do start barefoot/minimalist running, gradually ease into it. i believe that barefoot running will work for some, while padded shoes will work for others. i don't think it's a one size fits all type thing.
    "JUST BECAUSE I AM NOT A GOOD SPELLER DOESN'T MEAN MY JEAN POLL IS GONNA BE BAD."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    There's evidence coming out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottontop74 View Post
    I dabble in a lot of things, but don't get too technical with any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Inov8's and nanos here. Like Stripa said, I try to concentrate on a forward lean and no heel strike.
    Running sucks.

But this business about bruised heels and shin splints is what "joggers" get from sucking at their preferred method of "exercise".

Glenn has chronically dirty feet.