Thread: Half Marathon

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Half Marathon

Ran my first half this weekend. The Hotlanta Half Marathon was pretty brutal. The course lay out was unreal with some steep grades to climb in the second half, the humidity was around 85% during the race, and I didn't train for it.

I've been doing CrossFit for 10 months now and before yesterday the farthest I had ever run before in my life during one period of time was just a touch over 7 miles. A friend of mine was running the race as well to establish a base line for the Dopey Challenge that he and his dad are running at the first of the year(5k,10k,half marathon, full marathon, one on each day and all 4 days in a row). Now his track work and distance running will start. He did the same as me and did not train for it, but he has done many more races than I have. He's from out west and said he has never had to walk more in a race than he did yesterday, which made me feel better as after the half way mark I started walking more and more. We weren't walking because we were out of breath, we were walking because our feet hurt.

He ran a 2:02 with some change and I ran 2:16:20.

I'll run another one, but next time I'll get my feet/knees conditioned for 2 hrs of running before doing that again.

We are starting CrossFit Endurance at the gym soon and I'm looking forward to mixing in some track work. I went and dropped in with the same friend for an endurance wod with another box on Saturday and it was a humbling experience to get in a pool and swim laps.
    The right to bear arms is the last form of defense against tyranny.

Congrats and good work! Get fitted for some running shoes at a dedicated running store and you will feel much better after 13 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by CAMO SNOB View Post
    Congrats and good work! Get fitted for some running shoes at a dedicated running store and you will feel much better after 13 miles.
    I actually got fitted for some last Summer when I was living in DC and got into running but then I started CF in November and have only put them on a few times since then. I've been logging my miles in a spread sheet for this pair, so I'll know when to replace them.

I made the same mistake when I ran the ING marathon in Atl several years ago. Trained on flat ground in the lowcountry...got the shit beat out of me running the hills of Atlanta. I had stress fractures in my feet after that one. It sucked, but taught me a good lesson in prepping for distance AND terrain.

Congrats on finishing the race! That had to be a hot one!!!

Quote Originally Posted by marsh chicken View Post
    I made the same mistake when I ran the ING marathon in Atl several years ago. Trained on flat ground in the lowcountry...got the shit beat out of me running the hills of Atlanta. I had stress fractures in my feet after that one. It sucked, but taught me a good lesson in prepping for distance AND terrain.

Congrats on finishing the race! That had to be a hot one!!!
    Thanks. The race started at 7:30 and them temperature didn't break 80 while we were running but the humidity started in the upper 80's and dropped to the low 80's during the race. It just made it very tough to breath and I was soaked to the bone with sweat.