Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Goodbye Crossfit, you saved my life

Default Goodbye Crossfit, you saved my life

I was in the best shape of my adult life but the trouble started doing Murph in 2013. I mean, who doesn't cough up blood when they run? Anyway, i wrote it off to chapping in my throat from heaving breathing.

fast forward to greenville games last summer. I felt i didnt have the "lung capacity" to compete. I would hit the wall early in the WODs, I just couldnt get enough air. I attributed it to needing to be in better shape. My strength was there, but had no gas in the tank.

August 1, 2013 on a 1 mile run, in front of the exact same house as in Murph, coughed up blood. I had promised my wife that if it ever happened again i would go to dr. As a guy I didnt think it was a big deal. Well needless to say the drs and nurses FREAKED THE #### OUT! tests and tubes and wires and xrays and etc.......

I was eventually diagnosed with Hypertrophic Obstructive Cardiomyopathy (Think Hank Gathers/Loyola Marymount) Basically i have a birth defect (47 years later) of thickened septum and a bulge on the inside of my heart that restricts the blood flow into my Aorta. Dr. told me that working out with that condition was like taking your car out on I-85 and running wide open ..............in 1st gear. You can do it for a while, but eventually the engine will blow.

After a year of trying this and trying that,medicine has not worked. To "fix" it I will be going in Monday for a procedure to "kill the bulge" by injecting alcohol into my heart; kind of a controlled heart attack. FUN FUN! The most expensive buzz in history!

So on Monday, if you have time, hold my wife up in your thoughts and prayers. She has a lot on her with this and the boys among all of life's other stresses. Dont worry about me. God has a plan

So here is your lesson.

DO SOMETHING! crossfit saved my life. had i not been pushing myself to the breaking point, i would have never known i had this condition. This grenade in my chest would have eventually gone off sitting on the couch or walking down the street, leaving a smokin hot wife and two little boys without a daddy. I dont want that for them.... and I dont want it for you and yours. It also may save my sons' lives. Since this is hereditary, they will now be checked annually.

If you are active, GET REGULAR PHYSICALS! after reading on here of the 30 year old that died of a heart attack, I didnt post in that thread, but I would bet my paycheck an autopsy would show cardiomyopathy or some related heart arrhythmia .

So needless to say, my crossfit days are behind me. I am now in the market for some REALLY white sneakers and blue socks. Gonna get in on the mall walking circuit! or maybe some spandex capris and a yoga mat.......
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

Wow man, thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery

Prayers out my friend for a speedy and complete recovery.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

good on you for going to the doc, most would not (me). prayers sent

Prayers sent. Good luck, and get back on here tuesday with the good news.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Prayers sent. Glad you caught it.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Glad they found it, and have a solution for you. I hope and pray all goes well with the procedure, and you and your family live happily ever after.

Prayers up for a speedy recovery!

Dang man! You know I have you and them in my prayers. Anything we can do for you let us know. Great message also. You having it done in Greenville? I guess Gunner we can't take you to a titty bar for drinks anymore! LOL
    The unforgivable crime is soft hitting. Do not hit at all if it can be avoided; but never hit softly.
    Theodore Roosevelt

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

We'll be thinking of y'all Monday and in the coming weeks. I'm not far away, so holler if you need anything. I'll come cut the grass or spread mulch, but I'll also know when you're milking it. You're in good hands with that wife of yours. If she gets overwhelmed with the boys and you, seriously let me know if y'all need some help.

I have been saying I need to go back and get a physical since starting CrossFit in April and this is just the push I needed. I, too, think it has saved my life in that I've never felt better and certainly have never been so motivated to get off my ass and get healthy.

Now go get it done. We've got football on the way.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

Daggum man, hope everything turns out ok.

Pics of the wife?

I'll wait 'til Monday to post 'em, JAB.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

For once I agree with JAB. Ever since the story he told me in twin peaks I been wondering what she looked like! LOL
    The unforgivable crime is soft hitting. Do not hit at all if it can be avoided; but never hit softly.
    Theodore Roosevelt

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Good luck and prayers.
    1648 Tracker Grizzly
    Yamaha 70 2 stroke

Good luck G! You'll be in our prayers.

Good Read.

Hope everything goes well.

Will send one up for you and your family.

Love to see that pic too.

Prayers up to you and your family and your doctors.
    "Pain, or damage don't end the world — or despair, or fu**in' beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, ......and give some back." -Al Swearingen

Prayer up for you and yours.

Prayers will be sent up for you and your family. No doubt. Wishing you a quick recovery!
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen